The CF network is onto it, yep got in around noon today, cleared by 3pm then in the library sorting out flights home. Whew!
It was a good trip in some ways, not really my prefered style, too much motoring and haste for my liking. And the boat was a bit of a shambles for the first few days, as this system came in before all the prep work was done. Its not the way to do it, we arrived in bluff with a seaworthy
boat, but did a lot of work onboard while motoring across the Tasman.
Made the decision to divert to bluff rather than nelson due to fuel
and weather. See below for reasons.
To be honest not really enough wind
for most of it, and what we had was very fluky with a nice 10-12 knot
breeze for 10 minutes then 5 knots, so coupled with the big swell made it hard to sail at our target speed of 5-6 knots. Baro sat between 1029-1032 the whole trip!
The most wind we had was 20-25 knots of beam reaching for 6 hours or so 30 miles off NZ. This was great because we were running low on fuel
by then, As it turned out we arrived in Bluff with only dregs in the tanks
, but had 40 litres still in jerry cans. Its not often you can cross the Tasman in winter and avoid any bad weather!
Originally Posted by olaf hart
AIS back in this morning, they are in Invercargill, on the southern end of the South Island.
Makes sense, they missed most of the nasty weather around the big Tasman high and stayed in the following winds in the quiet quadrant most of the time.
It's been blowing like stink for the last 24 hours though, probably have a good story to share.
Ha, spot on Olaf, fuel became an issue due to the wind being very patchy, sometimes the winds can be light but steady around a high, other times not. Pushing into light headwinds on the way to Nelson while trying to beat a potentially very nasty and unpredictable system and conserving fuel was going to cause significant stress.
Going to bluff would use much less fuel, potentially better wind strengths and direction, and a safer approach if low on fuel in the possible strong northerlies towards the end. So thats what we chose.
As it turns out the winds look like we might have been OK continuing to Nelson, but thats how it goes, the system slid south. And is expected here tomorrow evening.
The risk was ending up in 40 knot northerlies off farewell with very little fuel and land to leeward. The system looked like it was a wildcard and we prefered not to put ourselves in a risky location if it rolled through the Tasman.
The aim was to get across the ditch in one piece. This big blocking high was a gift, though it meant leaving with the boat in a less than ready state. And a heavy motoring trip. So it goes..
Off to Stewart island tomorrow. It will be nice to see Patterson Inlet again. It was very nice to sail on the maid again with my parents.