Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2016, 17:54   #16

Re: Sailing across the Tasman tomorrow.

Very cool looking boat, those gaffers really move on a reach, have a great sail! R

Old 29-05-2016, 21:50   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Good luck Ben, fair winds. Always admired your folks boat! :-)

Sent from my D5503 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 23:44   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hope the weather is nice and the voyage enjoyable.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 02:59   #19

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Underway, off Nubeena in Storm Bay. Fortunately its not living up to its name and we have 5 knot varibles and half a meter of swell. After clearing we went to anchor in Mary Anns and stowed some of the junk (with permission from the customs guys who could see what a mess we had to clean up..) I put mousings on a few shackles and bottlescrews aloft, and did a rig check. We lashed the dinghy down and headed out, with an unseamanlike asortment of stuff below and on deck. Still have a lot of work to do tomorrow to make her shipshape, but we need the miles at the moment.

The stars are out, orion is setting in the west. And I am toastie with my beanie on...

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-05-2016, 06:07   #20

Scheds 4417mhz at 1820 NZ time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-05-2016, 15:56   #21

Boat: Northerner 28

Good luck fella's!!
Old 06-06-2016, 17:50   #22

AIS back in this morning, they are in Invercargill, on the southern end of the South Island.

Makes sense, they missed most of the nasty weather around the big Tasman high and stayed in the following winds in the quiet quadrant most of the time.

It's been blowing like stink for the last 24 hours though, probably have a good story to share.
Old 06-06-2016, 17:55   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
AIS back in this morning, they are in Invercargill, on the southern end of the South Island.

Makes sense, they missed most of the nasty weather around the big Tasman high and stayed in the following winds in the quiet quadrant most of the time.

It's been blowing like stink for the last 24 hours though, probably have a good story to share.
They made good time then.
Old 06-06-2016, 18:07   #24

I hear they are actually in Bluff
Old 06-06-2016, 19:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Very glad to hear of their safe arrival... but were they not headed for Nelson? Wonder if the change was due to wx or to whim? Theblocking high persisted much longer than f/c, and it may have been too hard on the wind to make Nelson. I'll sure be interested to find out when Ben returns to CF (one supposes that the internet has reached the far South island, but the sheep may have eaten t he fibre optic cables).

Jim

PS For those not plugged into our local wx, the past weekend had had major storms along the East coast of Oz, with the very strong winds and huge seas (17 metres+ recorded near Eden) possibly enhanced by the strong high creating steeper pressure gradients across the Tasman.
Old 06-06-2016, 19:59   #26

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Good trip Snow - frost on the walkways is why we are in Brissea right now :-)

Right now its 22 in our cabin Jim
Old 06-06-2016, 23:46   #27

The CF network is onto it, yep got in around noon today, cleared by 3pm then in the library sorting out flights home. Whew!

It was a good trip in some ways, not really my prefered style, too much motoring and haste for my liking. And the boat was a bit of a shambles for the first few days, as this system came in before all the prep work was done. Its not the way to do it, we arrived in bluff with a seaworthy boat, but did a lot of work onboard while motoring across the Tasman.

Made the decision to divert to bluff rather than nelson due to fuel and weather. See below for reasons.

To be honest not really enough wind for most of it, and what we had was very fluky with a nice 10-12 knot breeze for 10 minutes then 5 knots, so coupled with the big swell made it hard to sail at our target speed of 5-6 knots. Baro sat between 1029-1032 the whole trip!

The most wind we had was 20-25 knots of beam reaching for 6 hours or so 30 miles off NZ. This was great because we were running low on fuel by then, As it turned out we arrived in Bluff with only dregs in the tanks, but had 40 litres still in jerry cans. Its not often you can cross the Tasman in winter and avoid any bad weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post

Ha, spot on Olaf, fuel became an issue due to the wind being very patchy, sometimes the winds can be light but steady around a high, other times not. Pushing into light headwinds on the way to Nelson while trying to beat a potentially very nasty and unpredictable system and conserving fuel was going to cause significant stress.

Going to bluff would use much less fuel, potentially better wind strengths and direction, and a safer approach if low on fuel in the possible strong northerlies towards the end. So thats what we chose.

As it turns out the winds look like we might have been OK continuing to Nelson, but thats how it goes, the system slid south. And is expected here tomorrow evening.

The risk was ending up in 40 knot northerlies off farewell with very little fuel and land to leeward. The system looked like it was a wildcard and we prefered not to put ourselves in a risky location if it rolled through the Tasman.

The aim was to get across the ditch in one piece. This big blocking high was a gift, though it meant leaving with the boat in a less than ready state. And a heavy motoring trip. So it goes..

Off to Stewart island tomorrow. It will be nice to see Patterson Inlet again. It was very nice to sail on the maid again with my parents.
Old 07-06-2016, 00:35   #28

You missed the fun Ben ...

https://www.facebook.com/14263227510...5138307118891/
Old 07-06-2016, 01:48   #29

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
The CF network is onto it, yep got in around noon today, cleared by 3pm then in the library sorting out flights home. Whew!

It was a good trip in some ways, not really my prefered style, too much motoring and haste for my liking. And the boat was a bit of a shambles for the first few days, as this system came in before all the prep work was done. Its not the way to do it, we arrived in bluff with a seaworthy boat, but did a lot of work onboard while motoring across the Tasman.

Made the decision to divert to bluff rather than nelson due to fuel and weather. See below for reasons.

To be honest not really enough wind for most of it, and what we had was very fluky with a nice 10-12 knot breeze for 10 minutes then 5 knots, so coupled with the big swell made it hard to sail at our target speed of 5-6 knots. Baro sat between 1029-1032 the whole trip!

The most wind we had was 20-25 knots of beam reaching for 6 hours or so 30 miles off NZ. This was great because we were running low on fuel by then, As it turned out we arrived in Bluff with only dregs in the tanks, but had 40 litres still in jerry cans. Its not often you can cross the Tasman in winter and avoid any bad weather!

Ha, spot on Olaf, fuel became an issue due to the wind being very patchy, sometimes the winds can be light but steady around a high, other times not. Pushing into light headwinds on the way to Nelson while trying to beat a potentially very nasty and unpredictable system and conserving fuel was going to cause significant stress.

Going to bluff would use much less fuel, potentially better wind strengths and direction, and a safer approach if low on fuel in the possible strong northerlies towards the end. So thats what we chose.

As it turns out the winds look like we might have been OK continuing to Nelson, but thats how it goes, the system slid south. And is expected here tomorrow evening.

The risk was ending up in 40 knot northerlies off farewell with very little fuel and land to leeward. The system looked like it was a wildcard and we prefered not to put ourselves in a risky location if it rolled through the Tasman.

The aim was to get across the ditch in one piece. This big blocking high was a gift, though it meant leaving with the boat in a less than ready state. And a heavy motoring trip. So it goes..

Off to Stewart island tomorrow. It will be nice to see Patterson Inlet again. It was very nice to sail on the maid again with my parents.
Good to hear it was a good safe crossing. Sounds like it was costly with diesel.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Good to hear it was a good safe crossing. Sounds like it was costly with diesel.
Thanks RC, sounds lile you guys are having fun over there at the moment!

Anyway fuel wise we used 550 or so litres all up. Much cheaper than my flight home. And with no damage to the boat, Just an extra 132 engine hours to the 5300 hours the old ebro ford already has under her belt. It actually works out pretty economical. A bit of chafe on the sails from the occasional slatting I guess, but no hard work.

Id still rather do the trip with 10 litres of diesel ro get ina and out if port and and sail the whole way, picking a very different kind of weather window but it wouldn't be anywhere near as pleasant or efficient overall.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: