Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45   #1

Boat: Moorings 38
Cool Route to Grenada / Trinidad

We are planning to leave St Thomas heading to Grenada /Trinidad in the next 2 weeks (7/8 - 7/23/14). I know the preferred route is to leave from Virgin Gorda, BVI'S, but I am looking to hear about alternate routes that others have taken. Any and all ideas / advice would be appreciated. We will stay in Grenada to return to the USVI in November..thanks in advance.
CAPT ROB
S/V ADAGIO
CaptRob725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Route to Grenada / Trinidad

The northern (and eastern) departure point near Virgin Gorda is preferable if you intend to island hop thru the Leewards and Windwards.

Another route, which we took in 1993, is to go direct. It's about 415 nm if I remember right, and takes about 3-4 days. We departed thru the Norman Island-St John passage. Wind angle at this time of year should be OK for close reaching, but its already hurricane season and you'd want to watch the weather closely because once you depart on a direct course there's no stopping place until you reach Grenada.

FWIW,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10   #3

Route? Just follow the islands, they lead you right there. haha

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 17:36   #4

Boat: Moorings 38

Thanks for the info. I will probably take the traditional route from Virgin Gorda. The winds have been consistently E to ENE since the beginning of July. I don't plan on Island hopping so will make two stops on he way. We will Island hop on the way back in November.
Captain Rob
S/V ADAGIO
CaptRob725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 22:16   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

"traditional route"? Let me look that up...

It depends on what you wish... do you want to get there fast? or do you want to go through the islands?

You are in Hurricane season so dallying in the islands is crazy... but being stuck at sea in a hurricane is crazy too.

Its your decision.

If doing the direct route I would leave from St Thomas if that is where you are as wiggling the 40 nms to Virgin Gorda is a waste of time.

On the direct route I would make as much easting as is comfortable because the current will try to push you downwind.

As for me I think its crazy to sail in the hurricane season. And August is well into it. (Read my numerous posts after tragedies where I say "Only Sail In the Correct Season").

My only thoughts for you are you are driving into incredible, foolhardy risk, and should go from safer place to safer place... their ain't no "hurricane holes". on a weather window get to St Martin direct and fast. Then Antigua direct and fast... then direct Rodney Bay St Lucia, then direct to Grenada.

Good comms and weather may let you skip some or all of those slightly safer harbours, but I would go close to them to duck in...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, route