Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2010, 19:33   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post

Look at what Paul and Rachel Chandler are going through at the moment and the fate of the French skipper prior to them. Not something I want to happen to anyone on my crew
Yes. But they all had the choice you still have. So use it wisely.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:00   #17

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
the reason behind the build is for surf charter and wave hunting .
sweet, i can think of no better reason to build a boat, where is she going to be put into service, surely not Ireland... back to the so pac?
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:15   #18

Boat: Swan 56
Malacca straits hasn't had a pirate attack on a sailing boat in decades - It's not even something that crosses my mind when I go up or down them.
Nicobar may be a bit tricky to get visa for
Andamans are OK - special visa from Indian Embassies
Chagos is another Indian Ocean stop to consider - did have a riducular entry fee - not sure of the latest on that.
Srilanka is also turning its head to providing facilities for cruisers and (hopefully) become less of a hotspot since last year.

I'f you don't like going to wind, and aren't keen on being in the proximity of Somalia, the Gulf of Aden doesn't sound suited to you. I would have though that Capetown route would be a serious consideration.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 22:37   #19

Hello Bewitched ,
No visa's are issued for the Nicobars and no permission is given to land or anchor.
No Change for permission to visit Chagos - Apply to BIOT Foreign Offics London.
Sri Lanka still a no-no for any reason.
Absolutely correct, The Red Sea's winds will not suit a Pahi 63, irrespective of piracy in the Gulf of Aden.
The South African passage at the right time is fine for an ocean going catamaran
In 2009 the Straits of Malacca had 2 attacks by pirates.
And at the northern end of the Strait where it becomes the Andaman Sea. A very unfortunate incident. Some young Burmese who were on Thai fishing trawler who were being badly exploited and in their desperation to escape they boarded a sailboat and murdered the skipper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Bean.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	12812  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 01:06   #20

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. But they all had the choice you still have. So use it wisely.

b.
Very true, therefore I think I'll be taking the S. Africa route. True enough the designers own first Pahi 63 took the Red Sea route and he said that stretch was lumpy and very uncomfortable. Another Pahi 63 was lost on that stretch not to the sea but to the officials, after a long build in Thailand the owner grabbed a handful of "backpackers" to help him sail it back, when they got to the Red Sea it turned out one of them was carrying something they shouldn't have and as a result he lost the vessel.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 01:24   #21

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
sweet, i can think of no better reason to build a boat, where is she going to be put into service, surely not Ireland... back to the so pac?
Thank's I got the idea in Cote du Basque, France. I was testing a board I had shaped when a small catamaran travelled up the coast from Spain, moored just outside the breakers, a couple jumped off with their boards, caught a couple of waves, paddled back out, pulled anchor and sailed on to the next spot.
Sure the boat will start it's life in Ireland as it has to have everything fitted or refitted to comply to EU and the RCD, besides Ireland has some of the best, uncluttered and undiscovered surf breaks in the world but it is a class "A" vessel and it will not be restricted to Ireland alone.
Old 25-01-2010, 16:48   #22

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Sri Lanka still a no-no for any reason.
Why? We were there about 12 months ago and the officials were looking to attract more cruisers, have I missed something since then?

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 21:58   #23

Civil war - many thousands of civilians caught up in the final push to quell the Tamil Tiger insurgency- among whom were countless women and children killed. Prior to this recent action by Government forces the south was relative calm - rebuilding was gradually catching up with the damage caused by the Great Tsunami . Galle harbour has not improved facilities for visiting yachts in terms of berthing there for any more time necessary to fuel up and reprovision.
Boats have switched to Uligan the northern most atol in the Maldives for fuel.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:31   #24

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
It wasn't an issue when we were there in Jan 2009, I understand the war is now pretty much over. Had a quick look on Noonsite and it seems the only issue is the cost of entry.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 16:19   #25

Unfortunately, the situation in Sri Lanka is not too good, example :- quarter of a million people are still confined (cannot leave) in a single camp (euphemistically termed a refugee camp) here is just one report Sri Lanka's refugee camp for 240K - Pictures // Current Following reference to noonsite, had a look at the Galle profile Noonsite: Galle
Not exactly encouraging.
Old 30-01-2010, 11:11   #26

Dose anyone have a ball park idea as to how long such a journey would take?

Taking into consideration this is not a sightseeing tour the main aim is to get the boat home asap.
According to the Wharram Design Book the Pahi 63 can average 12+ knots or 180-200 miles a day so it will be easy enough to divide the distance by the averages and add a few extra days here and there for good measure, weather windows and pit stops.
But is there any other possible delays I should look out for?
Has anyone done any legs of this journey before and has experienced delays for other reasons?
Old 30-01-2010, 14:13   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
just bear in mind that a summer run from gib to ireland can be a real pain , with strong northerly trades of the portugeese coast. Azores, Ireland can actually be easier
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 17:21   #28

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
If the boat is loaded down with 16 people and their gear, you might need to revise your boat speed. I've cruised Thailand to Philippines. The wind can be very flukey that close to the equator. You might need to do more motoring than you want to.
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 21:09   #29

Quote:
Does anyone have a ball park idea as to how long such a journey would take?

Taking into consideration this is not a sightseeing tour the main aim is to get the boat home asap.
According to the Wharram Design Book the Pahi 63 can average 12+ knots or 180-200 miles a day so it will be easy enough to divide the distance by the averages and add a few extra days here and there for good measure, weather windows and pit stops.
But is there any other possible delays I should look out for?
Has anyone done any legs of this journey before and has experienced delays for other reasons?

Ball park figure - non stop! with good sailing conditions no less than 90 days.
Add 4 stops in the Philippines, 4 stops in Malaysia, 2 in Indonesia, 1 in Cocos Keeling, 1 in Rodrigues, 2 in South Africa, 1 in Brazil, 1 in the Cape Verdes Total additional days :- 22 for water, fuel, provisions, contingencies - G.Total 112 days minimum.
A total of 16 crew on board - illness is a possibility - good idea to have a para medic in the crew number, with good medic kit on board.
Tropical Storm delay in the passage from Corregidor to Palawan. Squall damage to sails etc between Kuching and the Sunda strait.
Mechanical and rigging problems (new boat)

Water at just 2 pints/day/person will need good planning and management for the long legs once leaving Cocos Keeling. Need storage for a least 200 gallons.
Toilet facities offshore - no problem :- thunderbox

Because you will be more than 6 persons on board there may be regulations, (especially those in EU) pertaining to the boat, it safety equipment, the Skippers qualifications etc - you need to check latest.

I have done all the legs except that of Cape Verde to Ireland.
------------------------------------------------------------
PS. 12 knots average over 24 hours = 288nm
Old 31-01-2010, 02:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post

Because you will be more than 6 persons on board there may be regulations, (especially those in EU) pertaining to the boat, it safety equipment, the Skippers qualifications etc - you need to check latest.
Many thanks for that very clear and precise answer. I was thinking the more the merrier with 2 people on a 4hr watch and 1 in reserve I was looking at taking at least 12 so when it came to overnight sailing there would be more people to rotate and the crew wouldn't be so shattered.
But you are right the more people the more responsibility and as jpemb7 said the more weight, so I may have to rethink that one.

Tags
Philippines, Ireland