Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 15:48   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lavezzi 40
Re: Papau New Guinea - cyclone season, boltholes, safe areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
VOA has been suspended because of the APEC meeting in November. Apparently they don't think they can handle the number of visitors expected if they have to process visas as they arrive.

(If you're checking in at RPYC, let me know when you are due to arrive )
The historical cyclone track diagram is clear; Looks like PNG is a destination to explore that is out of the cyclone zone.

Currently planning to leave Australia mid to late November. (We wanted to already be on our way, however the boat disagreed and has been having some work done in preperation).

Still need to finalise a route, but there is a strong chance that I will do the short passage to Port Moresby and the RPYC. Alternatively, may aim for the Louisiades, check in and proceed north.

Currently, need to apply for a PNG visa while in Australia due to the current visa on arrival suspension for a couple months. Also have a small pet dog on the boat - so have to sort out the formalities for him.

RE crime; I understand that cities are were people live and get on with life every day, including expats and travelers. That during the day around main centers like a marina, shoping center, hotel or, embassy you would not expect to be in harms way. However, as a rough rule of thumb, with crime in mind, I hear it is best to avoid the urban areas. An understanding that generally small island villages see less violent crime and theft to travelers. That at these small communities one should seek permissions such as allowance to anchor from the community leaders / chief, and a pleasent and safe stay can be had.

Thank you, everyone for your comments and the good information. I really appreciate how quick and helpful the responces have been.
RJAldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 15:54   #17

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJAldrich View Post
Looking for information about cruising Papau New Guinea during the cyclone season. Some insight would be really appreciated, thank you.

Are there any recommended areas considered cyclone and crime safe / low?

What is the consensus for sailing in this part of the world during the cyclone season?

Noonsite mentions that Rabaul used to be a popular cyclone season port, however now crime is makes it not recomend. What are some alternatives?
I’d stay clear of Port Moresby and re-visit the Louisiades, Trobriands and the North coast instead. Madang is beautiful, give Wewak a miss, Vanimo is nice too. However, it’s the smaller islands were you’l find the nicest people.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 16:41   #18

We spent some time at Manus Island and also the Duke of York Islands in 2006. Although it was unintended to visit PNG it was the highlight of our Asia trip. People at Manus very friendly but that may be different now due to the detention centre that Aus set up.

The Duke of York island has an amazing lagoon large enough for many yachts and would be ideal in all conditions. We anchored off Mioko Island. A perfect location to stay for an extended time. It is also close to Rabaul but without the crime.

We are so lucky in Australia that an undeveloped country like PNG is on the doorstep. There are very few accessible places left that still live a largely unspoilt traditional lifestyle. Experience it before it goes the way of most developing nations.

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 17:20   #19

Boat: Adams 42

I posted to an earlier enquirer.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2607873

It has been a couple of year since I last traversed PNG from Jayapura, the Admiralty Group, Manus, New Ireland, New Britain, Trobriands and departing via Milne Bay. Of the ten mostly island stops along the way I had security issues at five of them. Mostly petty thieving.
Cyclones aren't an issue but you need to be aware of the outfall winds from storms in the convergence zones. The worst I experienced was from 5 to 40 knots in less than a minute at 02:00 with no thunder or lightning presage.
Stow anything moveable and enjoy a wonderful experience.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 17:21   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lavezzi 40

Thank you for the advice! Looks like a stunning place to explore, just need to be aware of security.

Does anyone have any insight to bringing a dog to PNG? Are there transit permits or you need to import? Have started to reach out to authorities and dig through paper work - it is not immediately clear the process. Any experience or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
RJAldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 18:23   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
A question StuM.

I notice you have been in PNG a fair period of time. I have only passed through a couple of times on business and the barb wire topped chain link fence and armed guard on the gate at the hotel in Port Morsby did not leave a good impression re criminality abounding.

Since you probably associate with other cruisers in the area and consequently am informed first hand from the horses mouth, what is your, and their, experiences regarding crime in PNG.
Related question:

Ive read a bit about PNG, but never been there. My impression is that there are still remote interior areas with indigenous cultures where tribal warfare/conflict is still an issue. Correct?

And that the more "modern" population areas (where conventional crime is an issue) are on the coast. Correct?

Is that percieved dicatomy valid?

(....from Blenheim, NZ...quite a civilzed 1st world sorta place).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 20:01   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJAldrich View Post
Thank you for the advice! Looks like a stunning place to explore, just need to be aware of security.

Does anyone have any insight to bringing a dog to PNG? Are there transit permits or you need to import? Have started to reach out to authorities and dig through paper work - it is not immediately clear the process. Any experience or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

I've seen a couple of visiting baots passing through POM with dogs on board. were required to anchor outside the marina. They were not permitted to take the animal ashore.

Small Crafts – Customs Gov

"If your vessel has an animal on board you must remain at a mid-water mooring or anchorage and keep the animal secure for the duration of your stay in Papua New Guinea."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 13:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Related question:

Ive read a bit about PNG, but never been there. My impression is that there are still remote interior areas with indigenous cultures where tribal warfare/conflict is still an issue. Correct?

And that the more "modern" population areas (where conventional crime is an issue) are on the coast. Correct?

Is that percieved dicatomy valid?

(....from Blenheim, NZ...quite a civilzed 1st world sorta place).
Bump.
Old 03-11-2018, 18:07   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Related question:

Correct - but it's a Highlands thing. Not an issue in remote areas where sailors generally go. There you will find much more gentle, friendly people.

Quote:

Not completely true. Mt Hagen, Goroka, Kundiawa are three "more modern" urban areas in the Highlands. Port Moresby and Lae are not immune to "tribal conflicts" - they happen in the settlement areas where migrated highlanders are living
Old 03-11-2018, 18:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Correct - but it's a Highlands thing. Not an issue in remote areas where sailors generally go. There you will find much more gentle, friendly people.

Not completely true. Mt Hagen, Goroka, Kundiawa are three "more modern" urban areas in the Highlands. Port Moresby and Lae are not immune to "tribal conflicts" - they happen in the settlement areas where migrated highlanders are living
Thanks Stu...PNG is an unusual place...both in terms of human cultural evolution and wildlife evolution (like the birds! Wow!).
Old 03-11-2018, 18:39   #26
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
(like the birds! Wow!).
From memory of my time there a couple of decades ago the "birds" from Poreporena village on the way out of Moresby were pretty spectacular and friendly.
Further thread drift. I note a huge increase in boats leaving Vanuatu this year and heading for the Solomon Islands rather than the traditional cyclone season destinations of Oz or NZ. A search on here doesn't yield much information on the Solomons and from my brief experience it is a stunningly beautiful place to cruise but very thin on services for yachts. I guess that will change if cruising numbers keep increasing there.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 21:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
From memory of my time there a couple of decades ago the "birds" from Poreporena village on the way out of Moresby were pretty spectacular and friendly.
Further thread drift. I note a huge increase in boats leaving Vanuatu this year and heading for the Solomon Islands rather than the traditional cyclone season destinations of Oz or NZ. A search on here doesn't yield much information on the Solomons and from my brief experience it is a stunningly beautiful place to cruise but very thin on services for yachts. I guess that will change if cruising numbers keep increasing there.
Really, what variety of birds to they have in Poreporena?

https://youtu.be/hugPGYf1olU

[emoji16]
Old 03-11-2018, 23:42   #28
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

These birds were flightless but very friendly and spectacular. Not as colourful as your youtube examples but the bilum helps make up for that.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:19   #29

[emoji7]
Old 04-11-2018, 03:28   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
These birds were flightless but very friendly and spectacular. Not as colourful as your youtube examples but the bilum helps make up for that.
Bilas (decoration), not bilum (string bag)