Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 19:30   #1

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Panama to San Diego

Hi everyone, planning a trip next spring from Florida to San Diego in a large motor yacht. I have the voyage figured out to Panama. But I am not sure the best way to go; how much a danger to motor yachts are the winds in the gulf of Tehuantepec; weather considerations (May); best marinas to stop at and rest; diesel prices; other potential problems
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 13:30   #2

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
The Rains, who have done professional deliveries for many years along the route, in both directions, have a book you should get/read. It used to be titled something along the lines of Florida-to-California guide but it looks like they've now re-titled it (perhaps to sell more copies): Reviews

You are should be planning for a pedal-to-the-metal Spring run. If that's true, the Trades in the Caribbean will be relatively mild. Since they are the source of the feared winds on the Central American coast (via the funneling mountains), there will be less of a problem with the 'Pec'ers'. The Baja Bash will also be at its least obnoxious.

Jack
Old 28-12-2009, 19:23   #3

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
I have perused these books and your comments are helpful. I think I need to talk to someone like the Rains about the specifics to lay out the best strategy, bearing in mind the expected cruising speed and range. As a repower has been done, I have not yet carried out sea trials to establish the best cruising speed. Also they apparently stopped at night in anchorages and I indeed would probably keep going 24/7 as far as range permits.
If anyone else has input I would welcome it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser View Post
The Rains, who have done professional deliveries for many years along the route, in both directions, have a book you should get/read. It used to be titled something along the lines of Florida-to-California guide but it looks like they've now re-titled it (perhaps to sell more copies): Reviews

You are should be planning for a pedal-to-the-metal Spring run. If that's true, the Trades in the Caribbean will be relatively mild. Since they are the source of the feared winds on the Central American coast (via the funneling mountains), there will be less of a problem with the 'Pec'ers'. The Baja Bash will also be at its least obnoxious.

Jack
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 04:00   #4

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
FWIW one fellow I know with a sistership to WHOOSH - not especially fast or weatherly - was changing where he was based by his employer, Delta Airlines. He combined 4 weeks of vacation with a 4 week furlough and sailed during that time from St. Pete, FL down to the Canal and back up to San Diego. He mentioned that he had plenty of time to dip his toe in the local waters and see some of the sights BUT that this was all made possible by choosing to do it in the Spring. So timing may well be more important than the length of a leg you plan to sail.

Jack
Old 10-01-2010, 18:51   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Having done this route I can honestly say that the Rains guide was at the bottom of the pile as far reference tools.
A good weather program ( we used the GRIB file weather program downloaded by SSB) I am hoping you have a good SSB.
The first problem area you will encounter is Punta Mala Panama ,from there it is its pretty much doldrums until you reach the Costa Rica Papagayo area between Costa Rica and Nicaragua. The winds outside of San Juan del Sol gave us more of a challenge than the T-Peckers.
WE made a mistake of hugging the coast in an effort to reduce fetch but the effect of the excellerated winds from the steep coastal mountains gave us a run for our money.
Unpredictable gusts were the biggest challenge.
Check the weather and pick your window. We waited in Barillas Marina El Salvador for a weather window and basically had a flat crossing into Mexico.
Jovietal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal, san diego