Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 22:59   #1

Panama to Aus

Hi all, can anyone suggest a post that talks about Panama to Aus and best time of year to do this crossing in no hurry, we were thinking March out of Panama

Cheers
waverunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 00:08   #2

Re: Panama to Aus

I have done that one twice.
2008 we left Panama City in beginning of march. 2013 we left in beginning of may due boat repairs. Got to Bundaberg/Brisbane in middle of october. You can stretch that a month if you would like. Expect rougher weather if heading down to Sydney instead of Bundaberg/Brisbane.

Leave as early as possible. January or February. It gives you more time in the south pacific.

Most cruisers seem to visit Galapagos. Expensive now, About 800 dollar for two people to check in. It´s a nice place and shorten the long passage instead of going directly to French Polynesia. I have been to the island Santa Cruz both times. First time it was very hard to get permission to stop at Isabella. Now you could choose to stop there. Not as many restaurants and other facilities as Santa Cruz. You can choose to go on organized trips to the other islands. It is possible to get a little bit more expensive cruising permit which allows you to stop at three islands (I think it was about 300 dollar more).

Next stop 3000nm later. Marquesas. the island Fatu Hiva is a very beautiful place, all cruisers say! Spend a couple of weeks here, at least!

Another 450-500nm. Tuamotus! Lots of atolls to choose among. Fakarava is loved by many. Amazing snorkling and diving. Spend a month at least in Tuamotus

About 200-250nm to Tahiti. Good to provision. If you are there at the festival, Heiva. (middle of july) you can spend some time there. A week is good.

Within 20-150nm you can sail to Moorea, Raiatea, Bora Bora, etc. Depnding if you like it or not. Spend 3-6 weeks.

Next, north or south Cook Islands. Either more remote and less people in the north (Suwarrow where only the park rangers live). In the south Aitutaki. Nice looking island with friendly people (well, all people in south pacific are friendly). Rent a scooter and drive around the island. Spend a week here. More tranquile than Rarotonga they say.

Niue next. Don't really remember but about 350nm. Very much loved by cruisers. Visit caves, chasms. Rugged island. About a week.

Next is Vavau, Tonga. 200nm. Lots of small islands. Good snorkeling. Spend 2-4 weeks. Don't forget to send your ETA to Fiji, otherwise fined.

Next is Fiji, 500nm. I prefer the eastern part. Spend two months here. Labour is very cheap. Cheap haul out at Vuda Point marina. Need new upholstery? Pefect place or need some varnish job done? 3-5 dollar/hour.

Next is Vanuatu, about 500nm. Visit the active Vulcano. I have not but all people who done it loved it. Time? at least 1-2 weeks.

Next is New Caledonia, 250nm. Sail to Isle de pins. Time? 2-3 weeks. Don't forget to send an email to Australia about your ETA. Fines if not done.

Next is Australia, about 850 to Brisbane.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:03   #3

Great reply, very much appreciated, yes planning on Jan / Feb to leave Panama
waverunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama to Aus

I've done the delivery run only so fewer stops.. left Las Brisas, Panama early June and sailed for the Galapagos passing just to the N then turned right and ran on for Nuku Hiva, Marquesas.. 5 days there making good before moving on... nice place and people..
Next stop American Samoa.. 10 days waiting for owner to join the boat before heading on to Vanuatu.. enjoyed my time there.. friendly folk and the cheapest fuel in the Pacific..
Next was Vanuatu... you have to stay on board till your cleared... where the owner flew home and I collected 2 new crew before continuing on across the Coral Sea to Darwin and on to Perth, WA..
Worst weather was rain squalls from halfway to Samoa and all the way to Vanuatu when we hit the convergence zone but nothing over F7.. and gone in 20-40mins.. its a rolly ride..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:26   #5

about the weather...

2008 we had a lot around 15-20kt wind. 38kt in two squalls.
2013 we had a lot more around 25-30kt (maybe cause we were later in the season?). Some squalls around 35-40kt
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:08   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
about the weather...

2008 we had a lot around 15-20kt wind. 38kt in two squalls.
2013 we had a lot more around 25-30kt (maybe cause we were later in the season?). Some squalls around 35-40kt

2008 Moderate/Strong La Nina
2013 Weak El Nino

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.jpg

2014 forecast: El Nino?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama