Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-06-2010, 14:35   #1

Boat: 1987 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Encore
Pamlico Sound at Night

This comming weekend and into next week Wife to be and I will be sailing south from Manteo, NC to Cape lookout, NC. This trip will be about 5-8 days depending on the weather.

Has anyone considered sailing the pamlico overnight?

with NOAA's forecast for Thursday-Friday it should be a nice downwind run towards the mouth of the Neuse.

Old 29-06-2010, 15:44   #2
Vendor

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Are you considering doing the channel (forget the name) that runs inside the sound, south from Manteo? If so, I would forget that, I think it uses day markers. I wojuld not want to try that jsing just a chartplotter, as the channel is narrow and windy, looking at the charts.

Once in the sound proper, with good charts, and hopefully a chartplotter that you have verified is accurate with those charts, you should be ok.

Chris

Old 29-06-2010, 15:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Not a good idea unless you have extremely good grasp on "local knowledge" and experience in the area. And you have a power vessel with excellent night vision glasses, radar, or powerful lights to pick out channel markers. There are shallows/shoals extending out quite a way from shore.
- - And there are plenty of places to stop and anchor for the night so why "push it" and possibly have an incident when it is really not necessary? Be sure your TowBoatUS or SeaTow policy is up to date . . .
Old 29-06-2010, 17:39   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Are you considering doing the channel (forget the name) that runs inside the sound, south from Manteo? If so, I would forget that, I think it uses day markers. I wojuld not want to try that jsing just a chartplotter, as the channel is narrow and windy, looking at the charts.

Once in the sound proper, with good charts, and hopefully a chartplotter that you have verified is accurate with those charts, you should be ok.

Chris
I concur. Once you get south of the narrow channel, the sound is wide open and should be navigable at night. We were amazed at how few boaters sail Pamlico Sound even though it's much nicer than the ditch. Have a good sail.
Old 29-06-2010, 18:55   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I've done that channel in pre-dawn hours, it's very tricky and slow going. It was flat calm. Another tricky part is that the current will be pushing you out of the channel
So you'd need to keep an eye on the mark ahead and behind to keep you in the channel. I would leave with enough daylight to get me into the sound...

You should be fine on the sound at night, weather permitting.
Old 29-06-2010, 21:35   #6

I was/am planning on getting clear of the last channel marker to old house channel before sunset. I would sail south for the 8 or so hours of darkness and then have the morning hours to begin to navigate toward the mouth of the Neuse River.
I do not have a chartplotter nor do I have radar. I do have my handheld GPS 12 from 96'. I just entered all of my waypoints this evening. Considering possibly a 12-14 hour day sail and then anchoring somewhere around the mouth of the Pamlico river or the Neuse.

I am familiar with the Neuse but not the Pamlico river. Does anyone know of any anchorages(with a NE wind) in this area?

I Want to use the forecasted NE wind to get to the cape ASAP and we will be visiting Ocracoke on the return trip.
Old 29-06-2010, 21:38   #7

Oh and I got another year of unlimited towing! well worth it!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28   #8

we will be at cape lookout this weekend as well...

we will be in a 66 double ender named texas rose.... swing by and have a drink...

Cape lookout is such a beautiful place. We are very lucky that it is ouly about a 2 hour sail from us....

hope your trip goes well..

i did not see where you said how much water you draw. i ask because here in morehead there are several areas in the middle of the channel that have shoaled up. I draw 5 feet and have no issues at high tide, but low tide i bump bottom.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Once you clear the channels south of Manteo it's pretty clear sailing. The shoals are well charted and easily avoided. Just make sure you plot your route well clear of the military bombing ranges. They are used heavily day and night. The tracer fire at night can be quite a fireworks show from a reasonable distance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: