Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44   #1

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Outfitting My Cheoy Lee 25 for Passage to Tahiti

My Cheoy Lee wants to go to Tahiti and back.

Ala Wai Yacht Brokerage (Honolulu, HI)

Would appreciate some suggestions regarding outfitting for the singlehanded voyage.

- Navigation, weather info, radar, internet/e-mail for my on board iMac
- Backup GPS when the power quits.
- Charging batteries en-route

Space is at a premium, want to keep it simple and compact.

What systems would you recommend?
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I's recommend you consider taking a crew member to share the tasks, the fun and the challenges.
JOHN
Old 14-09-2008, 10:44   #3

Water storage.

Looking at that *specific* boat, I think I'd have the rig surveyed by a rigger, and the sails checked by my personal friends at the sail loft. Being honest, the sails look a bit old, and likely the rig is beyond its best by date.

Bring as little clothes as you think you can get away with. Gobs of sun screen, though, and use it.

Whether or not you solo it, you need some form of autopilot and/or vane steering.

With a pretty boat like that, bring lots of varnish maintenance/replacement tools and supplies.

Since you're planning on Tahiti, bring lots of money. And something to deal with no-nos.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 14:49   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Once you get there,

you will have other concerns.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gone-6203.html
Old 15-09-2008, 00:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
I's recommend you consider taking a crew member to share the tasks, the fun and the challenges.
JOHN
I will definitely consider it, though it's going to be a squeeze given available space. Thanks.
Old 15-09-2008, 00:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Water storage.

Looking at that *specific* boat, I think I'd have the rig surveyed by a rigger, and the sails checked by my personal friends at the sail loft. Being honest, the sails look a bit old, and likely the rig is beyond its best by date.

Bring as little clothes as you think you can get away with. Gobs of sun screen, though, and use it.

Whether or not you solo it, you need some form of autopilot and/or vane steering.

With a pretty boat like that, bring lots of varnish maintenance/replacement tools and supplies.

Since you're planning on Tahiti, bring lots of money. And something to deal with no-nos.
I'm thinking of carrying another 25 gals in water containers in addition to the 30 gal on board.

The standing rigging is in good shape, as are the sails, chain plates are being inspected and replaced if necessary.

Yes, definitely need an autopilot/wind vane - the simpler the better. Any recommendations for this size of boat?

The PO went the Cetol way, and for now I'll keept it that way - the sun is brutal over here, and this has proven to outlast others.

I know it's expensive ... but what are no-nos?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 15-09-2008, 00:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Thanks for the info.
Old 15-09-2008, 01:20   #8

Aloha friends,

I currently have one house and one starting battery (AGM's). For the trip, it wpuld seem mandatory to wire in at least one more house battery, and a way to recharge them all via a wind generator. With the emphasis on simplicity and reliability, which one(s) should I be looking at.

I;m also looking at Furuno's weatherfax as an add on to my IMac Nav system. Common sense inidcates that I should also carry a portable, battery powered GPS - can any of these receive weather alerts?

And of course I need a liferaft, anyone have a recommendation?

Thank you
BWS
Old 15-09-2008, 03:43   #9

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
If you haven't already done so, check out ...

The Seven Seas Cruising Association - Home

The SSCA is the best cruising group around (I'm a biased member).
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 07:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSail View Post
The standing rigging is in good shape, as are the sails, chain plates are being inspected and replaced if necessary.
How do you know this? Stainless steel is very predictable up to its lifecycle, after which it will fail completely randomly but catastrophically. You cannot tell by looking if the wire itself is at the beginning, middle, or end of its lifecycle. My advice is to ask a rigger to survey your boat; you may be surprised at how inexpensive this is, yet how thoroughly they examine everything.

Quote:
Yes, definitely need an autopilot/wind vane - the simpler the better. Any recommendations for this size of boat?
On my 25' boat I'm using a Raymarine ST1000+ tiller pilot, which I loathe but frees me from the tiller. I do not have a windvane yet. I'm partial to a build-it yourself design by Walter Murray and friends, and I believe this has been further developed as well. For commercial designs, the windpilot looks simple and robust. A good page with links to many designs is at OnPassage.com. There are many conversations about windvanes/autopilots here on cruiser's forum; use the search function to learn more.

Quote:
I know it's expensive ... but what are no-nos?
Vicious biting sand-flies. You will likely see some people who wear long slacks, long sleeves, and buttoned collars all because of the no-nos. Tahiti fees, bonds, etc. are quite similar in the amount of pain and blood sucking. You might consider the Marquesas?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 09:27   #11

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
P.S. I forgot to say that your new-to-you boat is a real charmer! And the old Cheoy Lees were built as tough as nails!!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 12:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Ready to hand:

A copper-screen wrapped waterproof ditch bag with solar charger for AA batteries, and a handheld GPSmap that uses them. A handheld VHF radio that uses them too, as well as a strobe. A hand-cranked multichannel AM/FM/etc radio with a flash light. First aid kit. hand operated water maker. EPIRB. Data chord between GPS and autopilot.

On the boat:
Tow-behind water maker. bladder tanks. SSB radio, pactor modem, weather fax software. Spare batteries for laptop, appropriate sized inverter. deployable rather than permanently mounted solar panels.

Complete set of spares and intimate familiarity with engine. Storm sail. Extensive paper chart collection in waterproof tube. Plastic sextant, book and tables. Study these and practice.

vacuum bag dry food, spare batteries, canned food, matches, socks, gloves, medicines, etc.

Heavy fishing gear.

Knowledgeable companion, preferably compact but strong enough to pull your butt back on board.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:02   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
How old are you Blue?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:07   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
PS Although I don't care for them, there's a pretty nice towed watermaker on Ebay right now for $650 with no bids.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 15:15   #15

Boat: CS22-Mercury
I have a CS22 and have logged over 1200nm in the Great Lakes. My windvane self steering has proven to be better than my old autotiller. Autotillers tend to use quite a bit of power and trust me you will use your self steering more than you think. My last leg from Detroit MI back to Cleveland OH left me singlehanding for about 14 hours in moderate 15 to 25 knot winds, with the 6 foot rollers and the gusty wind conditions my autotiller would have killed my house battery in about 9 hours. I had my hand on the tiller for about 2 of those 14 hours and was able to take time and enjoy my cruise, without worrying if I would have enough juice to run the lights after dark. Because of the limited space on board for a huge battery bank, the "pocket cruiser" needs to be aware of every amp that is being used. I am not sure how fast your diesel will charge your batteries, but I do know that I run my engine as little as possible because of the limited fuel on board. I have a solar panel to charge the bat when I am at anchor, but due to limited deck space it has to be stowed when underway.

Cruising on a small boat has its challenges and those folks with the larger boats always seem mystified when you tell them that you are 300nm from home. I will never forget the first time I took a weekend cruise to the Lake Erie islands and the water taxi girl said, "You came from Cleveland on THAT?!"

Enjoy your cruise but do be well prepared, and don't feel bad when they make you dock in the back corner of the marina, cause they will, just listen to their astonishment when they hear how far you have come.
CBResQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, tahiti