Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2008, 03:14   #46

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
We have a single burner Iwatani on our boat. It is very compact but it would not be good for cooking underway, especially on a small boat as it doesn't gimbal and the pots sit right on top rather than "nested" in a shroud. It works great at anchor and flat seas and has plenty of heat at 10,000 btus. I would say that it is not holding up well as it is only a year old and is showing pretty good signs of rusting. It was about a $50 solution however.

Portable Butane Stoves From Iwatani

I saw this type of stove on a thread around here recently. I googled and found it online. It looks like the hot (pun intended) ticket for a small boat and looks like it could be mounted on any vertical surface.

Seacook Stoves

I am also looking for LED spreader lights and would love a hot tip...
The Iwatani looks the same as the one I bought the other day - but, as you said, rust will most likely eat mine up before long. Need to find a stainless steel solution with the same ease of operation.

LEDs aren't very good at "flooding" light - which is what you need on the spreaders. Maybe a while before the halogen bulb relinquishes that particular position.

Thanks for the info,

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 08:49   #47

Boat: Spencer 35

Why would the w-fax not be useful - would like to hear more on this.

.................................................. ..........................................
Maybe not the God's Truth, but in my opinion........

I have a w-fax machine on the boat, and it is of some use in the higher latitudes where there are Highs, Lows, and fronts moving about. Even then if you are in a small yacht and already at sea, there is, to my mind, little you can do about oncoming inclement conditions that are going to cross your course.

I have driven myself crazy with worrying over bad weather that is 'on it's way' that I could do nothing about anyway.

There used to be, and probably still is, a voice forecast on WWV (the 'time' station) which you can pick up with a transistor shortwave radio, that covers the entire Pacific basin. I sem to recall it is at a few minutes to the hour. This will give you the position of the High, and position, track and speed of any storms that may be about.

For what you are planning this will do.

Lots of people load themselves down with far too much information, in the wx department, instead of just sailing their boats.

Jim
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:53   #48

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
Hello Blue,

I recently sailed the coast of Europe, crossed the Atlantic and sailed nonstop from the Caribbean to New York on a 26ft boat, solo. Here is what I left with:

43watt solar panel
Windpilot Pacific windvane
6man liferaft (too big, but better than nothing)
Iridium Sat phone
EPIRB
Two handheld GPS's
Sextant & reduction tables
LED tri-light
2gallons of diesel
Mer-Veille Radar detector
30pkts of Ramen
20pkts of plain pasta
20bottles of pasta sauce
5bags of rice
Bucket of potatoes, bucket or oranges, canned tuna, milk, tea, sugar, chilli sauce
Non-gimbaled gas stove
Cookies, chocolate etc
80litres of bottled water
40litres of tanked water
30litres of jerrycan water
Stormjib, Jib, 2x Genoas, all (foresails hanked) two mainsails
iPod (absolutely indispensable!)
25 books

That's all I can remember right now.

Boat was stock standard except for the panels & windvane. If I could do the trip again, I would do this:

Setup a good downwind rig:
Roller furling 1ft aft of a fixed forestay
Hank on jib for fixed forestay
Twin spinnaker/whisker poles for a good downwind

Solar panel was enough for lights, charging a video camera, digital camera, ipod & sat phone. I have two 43w panels, but couldn't afford to mount the second one - It lies unused the wet locker.

At sea WX isn't really much use. Concentrate on getting a good departure window instead. Or, have a friend read you GRIB info based on a position you report in every 4days.

Hope that helps,

n
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 18:13   #49

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Pick up a copy of Amazon.com: My Old Man and the Sea: David Hays: Books it will tell you everything you need to know. Don't lend it to anyone. You'll never get it back.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 23:15   #50
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
svHyLyte - I second that motion
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Bucket of potatoes
How big was the bucket?.......only joking

Cool boat. Cool trip
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24   #52
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Pick up a copy of Amazon.com: My Old Man and the Sea: David Hays: Books it will tell you everything you need to know. Don't lend it to anyone. You'll never get it back.
I 3rd the motion.....fun & honest read!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30   #53

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSail View Post
Points well taken.

I'm researching a dodger/bimini combo at the moment, though rapidly finding out that it's most likely going to be a custom fabrication.

Check on the solar panel, though I.m going to have to figure out where to mount it since I want to be able to fold down the dodger/bimini in inclement conditions.
I mounted mine on the stern pulpit. I had the same concerns, you can see it here. (9th picture down). It allowed me to fold the bimini down, and secure it without removing the panel.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32   #54

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
I've mounted mine right on the pulpit. Picture here Flickr Photo Download: Windy the Windpilot, rocking it
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 21:10   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim88 View Post

If solo sailing make up a few golden rules, you will need them. I had 10 rules which I always followed, including have a good look around every time the kitchen timer went off.

What are your ten rules?

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 16:12   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Amgine is right about the self steering Guru Walt Murray in my opinion he is a legend, he would answer even the dumbest question that people asked and had the most expert advice to give. God rest his soul.
If you don't use one of his designs use one fron Jan Alkamer (Sorry about the spelling) he is also a legend in my opinion and is certantly the top expert on windvanes. He wrote an article that was published in Practical Boat Owner on how to build your own self steering gear, and it works really well. On his own boat he has a windvane system built directly onto the top of the rudder and to see it is to appreciate engineering, I was gobsmacked. Have a look at the windvane forum.
Old 23-01-2009, 17:35   #57

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Alot has already been said re: equipment...

I think some extra thought should be given to your 1st aid kit.

Could you stich a wound, if you had to? Pain meds..(not asparin)..Antibiotics...
I had my dentist write me some scripts...

I won't list everything in a 1st aid kit, I'm sure you've given this some thought, I'm sure a good list has already been written, maybe John Neale?

Sail repair materials, Fishing gear, wooden plugs sized to and attached to your seacocks, good sea berth that you can't fall out of, ability to lock your companionway boards in ( locking slide latches? ) Ability to secure any removable floorboards in your cabin sole ( a cord and hook ) Tri-sail, storm jib...Jacklines, Harness..etc..a good thermos, Flares ,of course. a small signal mirror, etc

Sorry If any of this has been covered...
Old 07-04-2009, 02:06   #58

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Thank you all for all the good suggestions. Apologies for the delay of this post, my plans were unexpectedly put on hold just before last Christmas. A bicycle accident left me temporarily disabled with a fractured femur, it's taken over three months for me to be able to get around my boat again.

A lot of maintenance was completed at the time of my accident. Splendor's mast and rigging was thoroughly inspected and re-tuned, mechanically she is now in great shape and ready to go.

I will combine the many great "what to take" ideas into a pdf which I will post and use as a checklist for the trip.

Over the past three months, I've decided to really focus on a KISS approach, with some redundancy as far as key systems are concerned. So VHF and GPS will have handheld backups, windvane steering will have emergency tiller capability, and key pumps will have a backup.

Currently researching simple solar charging setups, basic liferaft options, and still undecided on cooking setup.

Any pointers/links would be appreciated. Thanks again.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:27   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSail View Post
Thank you all for all the good suggestions. Apologies for the delay of this post, my plans were unexpectedly put on hold just before last Christmas. A bicycle accident left me temporarily disabled with a fractured femur, it's taken over three months for me to be able to get around my boat again.

A lot of maintenance was completed at the time of my accident. Splendor's mast and rigging was thoroughly inspected and re-tuned, mechanically she is now in great shape and ready to go.

I will combine the many great "what to take" ideas into a pdf which I will post and use as a checklist for the trip.

Over the past three months, I've decided to really focus on a KISS approach, with some redundancy as far as key systems are concerned. So VHF and GPS will have handheld backups, windvane steering will have emergency tiller capability, and key pumps will have a backup.

Currently researching simple solar charging setups, basic liferaft options, and still undecided on cooking setup.

Any pointers/links would be appreciated. Thanks again.

BWS
Be very deliberate in your actions once at sea. Have you given any thought to the implications of broken bones at sea alone? You don't want to go there ,ever...

Best of luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:33   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
KISS Keep it simple stupid is the key.
If you can keep to this you will go far.
Cacique circumnavigated 1990 to 1993 with no fridge, no watermaker etc only hi tech systems were Radar and solar panel.
all the best.

Tags
cheoy lee, tahiti