Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 08:32   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
One week FL Keys Cruising pointers?

I posted this yesterday to zero responses so I've decided to try again.

I'm shocked and pleased my teenage son and a friend want to take me up on a Trip to go sail the Keys in about a month. I have a Skimmer 25 which I think will be a great boat for trailering down there and doing some short day sails, swimming and snorkeling. If not familiar with the boat it's Sharpie, Gaff rigged, and only draws 14" with board up. Rudder design even allows for beaching it should you choose.
I've looked online and found a couple of sample itineraries, but I'm wondering if some of you might have some advice on where I look for info so we can have a bit of a plan before we go? The ones I printed (1 lower keys 1 upper) average about 25 -30 day sails most days. These are impatient teens and my gut tells me if I can cut it back to about half that most days it will allow them more time to get away from me some if I'm anchored where they can have some space. With the draft of my boat I really don't need the inflatable I have, but I think they will like having it to go do some exploring just the two of them. It will also come in handy going ashore at night for dinner a few nights.

I'm excited they want to do it, but at least compared to they way I usually plan, I'm doing this last minute. We will have 800 to trailer down there from central AL.

Thoughts and pointers much appreciated!
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:06   #2

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36
Re: One week FL Keys Cruising pointers?

You are asking a very broad question. I assume you can't sleep aboard and that you have an outboard. A good place to start is "CRUISING GUIDE TO THE FLORIDA KEYS" by Frank Papy. Knowing nothing I would suggest Lower Matacumbe Key. On the Florida Bay side is Lignum Vitae Key a state island and Shell Key. LV has mooring balls off the island. It is on the Florida Bay side so is protected for a small boat.

Farther down is Big Pine Key. On the ocean side is New Found Harbor which is sheltered. Off shore is Louie Key Reef with mooring balls. Both New Found Harbor snorkeling is said to be good in3-4 feet of water. Off the balls on Louie is it very good. On the Florida Bay side there are several small keys to sail to. The water there is shallow.

Biscayne Bay by Miami and Key Biscayne are also possibilities. The bay can by wavy. Key Largo has many lodging possibilities. Good Luck
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:13   #3

As an aside, I have chartered from Miami to Key West three times and just got back from chartering from Key West to the Dry Tortugas. You could spent the week just in Biscayne Bay and that is hours closer than the rest of the Keys.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:07   #4

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Great point. Is the water as clear and would there also be good snorkeling?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 13:03   #5

I pulled out my chart book and Papry's cruising guide. I also looked up the Skimmer 25. It looks to be the ideal boat for the Keys. I think that Biscayne Bay would be good. You can sail around Miami and anchor. Then you can head out into the Bay and work your way down to Key Largo on Biscayne Bay. There are multiple Keys on the way with snorkeling and anchorages. The sails are short. There are areas of good snorkeling per Papry. Good Luck.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:35   #6

I pulled out my chart book and Papry's cruising guide. I also looked up the Skimmer 25. It looks to be the ideal boat for the Keys. I think that Biscayne Bay would be good. You can sail around Miami and anchor. Then you can head out into the Bay and work your way down to Key Largo on Biscayne Bay. There are multiple Keys on the way with snorkeling and anchorages. The sails are short. There are areas of good snorkeling per Papry. Good Luck.
Old 20-02-2018, 14:04   #7

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

If not staying aboard, make sure you have a place to sleep every night. Since Irma, there are few places to stay, and any that will have vacancies will be over $300 per night.

Suggest you trailer to Marathon and launch there. You can sail on either the Atlantic or Gulf side depending upon weather and wind direction. You can rent a mooring in Boot Key and use their facilities for bath/shower/parking.
That will also position you for day trip to Key West, go down for sunset at Mallory Square a great place for teenagers

Just remember it is already A/C season down here!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 14:17   #8

Stay away from newfound harbour , nothing there ! Only joking . It’s a half decent place to anchor but looe key is well worth the sail . The Goliath grouper there are unbelievable!
That’s all I can tell you .
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising