Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:14   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
NYC Fireworks from the Water

Hey all,

I'm going to be sailing down the Hudson around July 4th and I was thinking of timing my trip to so I could see the fireworks show off Manhattan. I was thinking I'd anchor above the GW Bridge until dark and then cruise through the area back to my marina in Brooklyn.

I know the Coast Guard has a million special rules governing 4th of July fireworks and I'm having trouble making sense of all the press releases. I'm not trying to anchor anywhere in New York Harbor and I know better than to go near the East River on that night. Does anyone have experience with 4th of July on NYC waters? Does my plan sound realistic? Is there anything else I should be aware of or concerned about?

Thanks,
Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09   #2

From a USCG member who has done several years of 4th of July enforcement zones. There are many of the booze cruisers out on that night and some pleasure boaters. You can get into the Hudson below the GW and get a great show. You may have trouble transiting the area all the way to Brooklyn. At a certain point in the evening, check those press releases, the area you want to transit may be closed to all traffic. You would need to then wait until the area is re-opened. There will be up to 50 CG and Police boats out to enforce this zone so you will not be able to sneak through. The area will be closed until approx. midnight maybe a little longer. Decide if you really want to spend that much time doing the fireworks. An alternative plan is to get into the harbor below the Statue before the fireworks and zone closure. You will still get a great view and can then go to your marina as soon as they are finished.
Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 10:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

I'm thinking of watching from somewhere Southwestish of the statue and then staying at the anchorage just South of Liberty State Park for the night.

Or maybe just anchoring there for the show since that is Skouthwestish of be statue and I'm guessing it will be a crowded spot that night.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc