Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 06:39   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: New World Cruising Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm thinking Dockwise stock is a good investment right now (I'm serious). If enough business is done, the cost will go down.
I don't think so. When they started the costs were very reasonable. Now they have escalated dramatically as demand for space has burgeoned. I regularly see the DWT boats in the Caribbean and they are crammed to the gunwales with power yachts and other non-sailing boats. It is a good capitalist operation and as demand increases, prices increase. Sail boats are pretty much priced out of their operation.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 07:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

DOCKWISE LTD (DOCK:NO): Stock Quote & Company Profile - BusinessWeek

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 07:35   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I don't think so. When they started the costs were very reasonable. Now they have escalated dramatically as demand for space has burgeoned. I regularly see the DWT boats in the Caribbean and they are crammed to the gunwales with power yachts and other non-sailing boats. It is a good capitalist operation and as demand increases, prices increase. Sail boats are pretty much priced out of their operation.
Looks like I was wrong on both accounts as it appears Dockwise is privately held also. Darn it.

As of right now, the Indian Ocean is the hot spot so maybe there will be a different alternative that will develop over the next year such as armed flotillas. 20 boats at $10k per should be able to purchase some type of protection. $10k would be very reasonable to me given the alternative.

Regardless, my plans have never included the Indian Ocean or Red Sea. When I'm done with my Mediterreanean voyage and if I want to continue, it would be Pelagic's route via Japan/Aleutians towards Canada/Alaska for the summer.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I can't get anything right. It's a good thing as the stock is falling.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:38   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
I'm thinking Dockwise stock is a good investment right now (I'm serious). If enough business is done, the cost will go down.
While I wouldn't begrudge anyone the use of the Dockwise sort of yacht shipping, I am not spending years of learning and labour and tens of thousands of dollars in refits and gear to weld our boat to a glorified barge.

If I can't sail around the world, why sail around the world?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 07:52   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

There are other outfits such as 7-Star and also Peters and May and probably several others. There is also yacht transport available from normal container ship companies. So there are options other than DWT.
- - It seems that sailing down and around South Africa is becoming more popular all the time. But the big question is how far out from Somalia into the Indian Ocean do you have to stay to avoid possible attacks. There are some popular island groups between India and Madagascar and the question is how many of them are now too dangerous to attempt visiting.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 08:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
While I wouldn't begrudge anyone the use of the Dockwise sort of yacht shipping, I am not spending years of learning and labour and tens of thousands of dollars in refits and gear to weld our boat to a glorified barge.

If I can't sail around the world, why sail around the world?

If your only goal is to "Sail Around The World" who could argue with that. That isn't my goal. I'm more interested in visiting places that interest me, like Japan.
Old 24-02-2011, 08:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New World Cruising Routes

Well as you've all figured out by now I'm a bit wierd...
I've always figured when/if I circumnavigate it would be W - E...
The Med would not be included (been there, done that)... the exploits of Knox Johnston, Motessier etc were my diet so E - W has never factored into my planning..
Basically I start from Portugal - Madeira - Canaries - Cap Verdes - Gambia and then bash my way down to SA putting in long tacks out to bypass dodgey shores...
From SA I'd ride the SE Trades to Mauritus - Maldives - Goa - Kerala - Sri Lanka then hole up maybe in Madras(Chennai) for the monsoon.. from there its Island hop on impulse... probably as far as Easter Island then run north to Baja to have a nose... from there another tussle S all the way down S.America and sneak round the inside of the Horn... then up Argentina - Brazil etc to the Islands then Azores... and touch base..
All the above being done at optimum seasons with no time scale...
Object... visit/experience as many different non anglo saxon cultures as possible... may or may not include NZ.... OZ is unlikely..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 08:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm a bit wierd...
Finally, something ALL cruisers forum members can agree on!!

Wouldn't want it any other way - spice of life thing.
Old 24-02-2011, 08:41   #25

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Anyone able to post charts of these routes?
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 09:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Anyone able to post charts of these routes?
I don't know what the popcorn is for but if anyone does want to post a route, you can now. If you use google earth to create a path or multiple paths to show your route, you can upload it as a "my places.kmz" file. The someone could download that file and run it on their computer. It would detail the route on Earth. I've been working on mine for a week now and plan to upload it soon.
Old 24-02-2011, 09:25   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

West Coast of Africa may become interesting too.
I don't know about Namibia, or even how far north good areas of South Africa go.
People are going to Senegal often and The Gambia and others too.

So maybe when one place becomes difficult it will let other places open up.

Also remember in the current circumnavigation route it missed Brazil! The glory of sailing Rio, and Salvadore de Bahia and all points in between!!

The GIRLS!!

The Music!!

The Olympics in 2016!!

I will definitly be in Rio for thos Olympics. Its going to be a party to remember.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 09:37   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New World Cruising Routes

Quote:
I don't know what the popcorn is for but if anyone does want to post a route, you can now. If you use google earth to create a path or multiple paths to show your route, you can upload it as a "my places.kmz" file. The someone could download that file and run it on their computer. It would detail the route on Earth. I've been working on mine for a week now and plan to upload it soon.
I Didn't Know That.....!!!
Thanks Pallaran.... I'll see if I can have a little play... if I suss it out I'll post MY chosen route.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 09:39   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
No they are not. All their charts are hopless. Even in the last 30 days their share price has been plumeting.

No one else thinks they are a good buy either as their shares traded per day volumes are low.

With fuel prices going up (Brent crude went up to $120 per barrel today when WTC was $100 yesterday) so high fuel users (ships) are stuffed.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:15   #30

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well as you've all figured out by now I'm a bit wierd...
I've always figured when/if I circumnavigate it would be W - E...
The Med would not be included (been there, done that)... the exploits of Knox Johnston, Motessier etc were my diet so E - W has never factored into my planning..
Basically I start from Portugal - Madeira - Canaries - Cap Verdes - Gambia and then bash my way down to SA putting in long tacks out to bypass dodgey shores...
From SA I'd ride the SE Trades to Mauritus - Maldives - Goa - Kerala - Sri Lanka then hole up maybe in Madras(Chennai) for the monsoon.. from there its Island hop on impulse... probably as far as Easter Island then run north to Baja to have a nose... from there another tussle S all the way down S.America and sneak round the inside of the Horn... then up Argentina - Brazil etc to the Islands then Azores... and touch base..
All the above being done at optimum seasons with no time scale...
Object... visit/experience as many different non anglo saxon cultures as possible... may or may not include NZ.... OZ is unlikely..
Funny...we Kiwi's think that OZ is an unlikely place too..I think it was the esteemed mariner Capt Cook who said of it "an unfortunate place" (radically misquoted to suit my needs )

Shhh just don't let MarkJ hear us talking like this....I need his continuing recent and relevant advice
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising