Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 10:20   #31

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: New World Cruising Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
If your only goal is to "Sail Around The World" who could argue with that. That isn't my goal. I'm more interested in visiting places that interest me, like Japan.
Then I guess that depends on your start point. There's good weather reasons for going south from Suez and getting "spit" into the Indian Ocean, but then you have monsoon winds depending on the time of year.

My impression is that Japan is not the easiest place to sail to, but I would imagine taking a right from the north-easterly trades would do it, which argues against ever going near the Red Sea at all, irrespective of start point, unless one is doing a circ.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
Funny...we Kiwi's think that OZ is an unlikely place too..I think it was the esteemed mariner Capt Cook who said of it "an unfortunate place" (radically misquoted to suit my needs )

Shhh just don't let MarkJ hear us talking like this....I need his continuing recent and relevant advice
Besides, isn't getting to Oz from NZ a total bash to windward, at the end of which you run into the world's biggest reef?

Some of the nastiest seas on film have been taken of the Sydney-Hobart, and I imagine that just continues as is until it scours Cook Strait.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:41   #33

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well as you've all figured out by now I'm a bit wierd...
I've always figured when/if I circumnavigate it would be W - E...
The Med would not be included (been there, done that)... the exploits of Knox Johnston, Motessier etc were my diet so E - W has never factored into my planning..
Basically I start from Portugal - Madeira - Canaries - Cap Verdes - Gambia and then bash my way down to SA putting in long tacks out to bypass dodgey shores...
From SA I'd ride the SE Trades to Mauritus - Maldives - Goa - Kerala - Sri Lanka then hole up maybe in Madras(Chennai) for the monsoon.. from there its Island hop on impulse... probably as far as Easter Island then run north to Baja to have a nose... from there another tussle S all the way down S.America and sneak round the inside of the Horn... then up Argentina - Brazil etc to the Islands then Azores... and touch base..
All the above being done at optimum seasons with no time scale...
Object... visit/experience as many different non anglo saxon cultures as possible... may or may not include NZ.... OZ is unlikely..
Hmmmm... this might put me in the same "bit wierd" boat with Boatman, I had a similar thought and similar route, but with a stop at Diego Garcia, then on to the Maldives. So far, none of the attacks have been near that neck of the woods and with DC being a military base, it might even lend a bit of safety for the trip.

Would probably be doing a bit of motoring, but I wouldn't be worried about getting shot at.

I am also going to meet with my Congressman and see if there is any way to have the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard start convoys for private yachts through that area. Probably wishful thinking, but it can't hurt.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Anyone able to post charts of these routes?
Atlas of Pilot Charts for the Major Oceans of the World

Handy website for that information, but I'm hoping Boatman has already done the work and will share.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:46   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
OZ is an unlikely place too..
Shhh just don't let MarkJ hear us talking like this....I need his continuing recent and relevant advice
Last thing we want is a mob of parasitic cruisers descending on the shores of Good 'ol Aus!

We have been attempting to wreck as many of you would be cruisers on our reefs since the first cruiser "Cap'n" Jamie Cook and his enterage.

The Coast Guard has now been forced to put a sign on all outlying islands saying: "Don't Hit Me"
But do you think cruisers can read?????

I am glad I am in the Caribbean where the coral is dead, the lagoon poluted and Mount Gay is a rum, not an obligation.

Bliss.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Last thing we want is a mob of parasitic cruisers descending on the shores of Good 'ol Aus!

We have been attempting to wreck as many of you would be cruisers on our reefs since the first cruiser "Cap'n" Jamie Cook and his enterage.

The Coast Guard has now been forced to put a sign on all outlying islands saying: "Don't Hit Me"

I am glad I am in the Caribbean where the coral is dead, the lagoon poluted and Mount Gay is a rum, not an obligation.

Bliss.
Thanks Mark, I needed a good laugh today.

RUM = YUM! Never leave the pier without it!
Old 24-02-2011, 10:50   #37

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Alchemy Tee Hee I love you Canadian you so get the neighbourly bashing up of whole nations. Its great fun for small minds isn't it

Ahhhhhhhh Cook Straight....I love Cook ST, I love leaving it behind, I love looking at it from afar; I love it on the one day a year that we ever strike it with great weather conditions; I love the way after when you sail thru there, post a horrendous to windward two day passage, you then find seemingly 50,000 large ships floating in the vicinity of the teeny tiny Tory Channel you want to slip thru (what are they all doing there at 2 in the morning?); I love the way two huge sperm whales find it funny to pretend they are the lead players on the set of Jaws metres from my port quarter as we motor/push across an oil slick sea against the current; I love the fact that the very first bit of sea I will traverse in a few weeks time on our adventure into the wide blue yonder is one of the most challenging and beautiful places!
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:55   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New World Cruising Routes

ROlling on floor laughing my guts out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Bliss.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:59   #39

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROlling on floor laughing my guts out.....
DON'T laugh at him

I KNOW how these Ozzies work

You will only ENCOURAGE him
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 11:31   #40

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
I don't know what the popcorn is for but if anyone does want to post a route, you can now. If you use google earth to create a path or multiple paths to show your route, you can upload it as a "my places.kmz" file. The someone could download that file and run it on their computer. It would detail the route on Earth. I've been working on mine for a week now and plan to upload it soon.
Don't know if it has been mentioned here yet, but the latest version of Google Earth ver. 6, has gps functionality added. He bought a little $40 disc gps off of the net and says it is functional and accurate. Chartplotters going in the dust bin?
Old 24-02-2011, 11:31   #41
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Boatman's Journey

Ok Boatman, lets give it a try. This is the first time it's been done on CF.
I put your route in. This is just a sample done in about 2 minutes.
When you arrive in St. Martin all hell breaks loose as you and Mark meet up. Then, you come and visit me. See you then.

You should be able to download the file and then run it. I went START button, RUN, then chose the file and it loaded. Let me know if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: kmz Boatman.kmz (4.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 24-02-2011, 11:33   #42

Actually you can just run it after you click on it.
Old 24-02-2011, 12:44   #43

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Actually you can just run it after you click on it.

I can't run it but thanks for the effort.

(I like popcorn.)
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 12:49   #44

Do you have Google Earth installed on your computer? If you do, the file extension .kmz may not be associated with Earth.
Old 24-02-2011, 14:28   #45

Quote:
Alchemy Tee Hee I love you Canadian you so get the neighbourly bashing up of whole nations. Its great fun for small minds isn't it
I don't play hockey and the water's frozen. It's my only recreation next to devising new things to mix with Gosling's...and there's a limit to that. And the Gosling's.

Tags
cruising