Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 06:09   #1

Boat: 40 spray
New to Cruising...I Mean REALLY New!

So I made the decision to act on my boyhood dream. I have now purchased a 40' shay in Greece. I resigned from my position last Tuesday. I sold all of my possessions Friday and Saturday I'm a garage sale (did better than expected too!). I took 101 class last week. It was the very first time I have ever stepped foot on a sailboat. Tomorrow I start a three day course to get 103/104 done. The 4th of August I will use up my one way ticket to Greece and begin what will surely be a most epic adventure. I plan to learn my vessel and gain experience and knowledge locally through at least next year. I have no real plans beyond that except I have a business plan in mind.

Fear is an intrinsic property of excitement. I am both scared and excited. But I am confident and capable of making the right decisions and taking it just slow enough to remain as safe as reasonably possible. I will at some point single hand circumnavigate at least one time.

I will keep a log. Thanks for any advice and or comments. The only thing I ask is keep the rhetoric about how stupid or ill prepared this is. That has no value here as there is no turning back and neither would I if given the chance.
Cjwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:11   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: New to cruising...I mean REALLY new!

Sounds legit. Congrats.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:13   #3

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

Cjwelch, congrats on the boat and taken the plunge! CF is a great place for information and advice.
Old 22-07-2013, 06:19   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Your adventures will be of interest to follow - either a great inspiration for others, or a cautionary tale! Methinks the make or break on this voyage will be the condition of the boat and your ability (skills and cash) and willingness to fix stuff as you go along (all boats need fixing to some degree!).......for everything else can simply throw time at it, with some brain cells and effort - albeit none of boats is rocket science.

TBH, starting off knowing you know nothing (or next to) can often be an advantage - as the trouble usually comes when you know what you are doing! (delusionally or genuinely!).

Anyway, Bon Voyage!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:24   #5

All well said. I have been favored with diligence and dexterity. Time and cash are always in demand no matter where or what one chooses to do but I I should be fine for many years. I have this far been a good student, like a sponge, just as I was in the life in which I leave behind. I am certainly planning to carry that throughout my adventures.

Btw I choose being the inspiration rather than the lesson! Lol
Old 22-07-2013, 06:39   #6

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Congratulations! A friend of mine did just the same thing as you have done. He's one year in and loving it. Still in the Med until November and looking forward with some trepidation to his first ocean crossing then.

You'll have a lot of people criticising you and mocking your lack of experience. You'll probably put a few dings in your gelcoat on docks. You'll probably scare the &%$* out of yourself on more than one occasion. Ignore the naysayers. One of the wonderful things about cruising is that you'll never see the majority of those people ever again :-)

In a few years, when you're ready, head West and keep going. I guarantee you won't regret it :-)
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:49   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Congratulations..!! I shall be navigating in the Balearics by the end of September. And by the time You try to cross the atlantic, I live in Gran Canaria, just in case You pass by.
Regards, Agustín.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 07:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Congratulations! A friend of mine did just the same thing as you have done. He's one year in and loving it. Still in the Med until November and looking forward with some trepidation to his first ocean crossing then.

You'll have a lot of people criticising you and mocking your lack of experience. You'll probably put a few dings in your gelcoat on docks. You'll probably scare the &%$* out of yourself on more than one occasion. Ignore the naysayers. One of the wonderful things about cruising is that you'll never see the majority of those people ever again :-)

In a few years, when you're ready, head West and keep going. I guarantee you won't regret it :-)
Thank you for the post!!
Old 22-07-2013, 07:43   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

How about some pictures of the boat?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 07:47   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Good for you. That takes guts and I am sure you will do fine. Post boat pics if you have them.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:51   #11

I keep clicking the picture link but can't get them loaded. If you search spray 40 here I bought it off of a post on this site. I have a lot of them but not sure how to post?
Old 22-07-2013, 07:56   #12

I was able to upload a few to an album just now. I will put more tonight but a lot more once I get there in about two weeks as well.
Old 22-07-2013, 08:17   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Wow. She's a dandy. Good for you!!!! You will need to get up to speed on docking and maneuvering in short order. I found the ASA courses very lite in this area and you will need to learn through just doing it and hopefully avoid accidents. Lots of fenders and some competent crew go a long ways. You can do it!!!!
Old 22-07-2013, 08:25   #14

Congrats on your purchase & your plan, I would be very interested in following how you make out. What do or did you do for a living? Are you a guy that is good with his hands? Alone? Speak any other language? I ask because I have two houses that are being sold to fund just what you are doing & sometimes I think I am crazy.. I have only been on a sailboat a few weeks, but I have alot of time on boats,really alot, but most on ski stuff & fishing & have lived on inland lakes all my life (52). I beleave that I am well ahead of the curve on average & have been an engine builder & Mec since I was little,( my step dad had a auto repair shop) & am trained to work on most all repairs & have had this dream since 7th grade, but life happens while we make plans,,, x wife, sick mother,job, all these things can get in the way.. They are all gone now.. Now,, I just want to go, Many will say,don`t, to those, I must say it is better to live & die trying than to never even try, so if you don`t want to help,I understand, but don`t bash someone for trying to live there dream,nothing constructive there..... If you do a blog I would read it & would LOVE to be able to learn what I can!! You got balls to even try,You go!!! I LOVE to hear that I am not the only person with this thought & have heard it all.. I wish you the best of luck!!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 08:45   #15

Thanks! I will answer your post later today!

Tags
paracelle