Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:29   #1

Navik Windvane - Desperately Urgent!

Please can someone help me? My partner is due to sail to the Azores next Sunday (10th May) and he has just broken his Navik self-steering Plasimo windvane. They aren't made any more, and he says that to use a different model would take weeks to fit. Is there anyone out there that could help? He is completely and utterly desperate, as it's his last chance to get his Yachtmasters Oceangoing, and he has been planning and dreaming of this for so very long. I joined this site to see if anyone could help, and whether anyone had one of these things that he/I could buy. I've phoned every marine chandlers, boatyard and everything else I can think of (we live in Wales) and this is my last hope. Kathy M.
Katelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:17   #2

Boat: PDQ 36 "Grizabella"
Have you tried a Google search for "navik plastimo windvane?"
Looks like parts are still available online.
With overnight ship it might help.
What is broken?
Someone may have ideas for a temp repair.
holomoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:50   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Kathy,

Holomoku is right, there are leads out there if you Google for them. In particular, the MarineMegaStore , which is located in Southhampton in Hampshire, seems to have some parts in stock.
Old 18-01-2010, 22:48   #4

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Plastimo and other issues

If you have a Navik then a) you have a unique wind vane. b) Unless you're French then don't expect to get any serious answers from Plastimo.

Which is all a bit sad because the Navik unit is one clever piece of work.

I bought a complete system for NZ$450 and really couldn't believe how delicate were the inputs relative to what I needed as outputs. My 44 has a bit of a windward issue which I still don't fully understand, since she wants to round up under headsail only....Go figure. Anyway, there's me with the second-hand Navik, with a broken vane and a missing dingus.

I emaiedl Plastimo but mistakenly misspelled Navik as Naik. The smart-arse frog came back asserting, 'Never heard of Naik'. Apparently the French hate anyone who isn't French.

Yeah. I need that sort of ****.

I went hunting. Found the missing dingus, but still couldn't find a wind-paddle, so I decided I had to make one.

Today I visited and most extraordinary company. High Modulas Plastics, here in NZ. They produce all the panels and resins and stuff for America's Cup boats.

It used to be owned by Richard. Recently Richard sold out but remains as a staffer.

I went in, expecting to be treated like an orphan....all I wanted was a bit of plastic more or less like the stuff the original Navik wind vane is made of.

Gawd! I was treated like royalty. Richard himself took me through the factory, mumbling stuff about how he knew that somewhere amongst "all this" was the stuff I needed. But then I spotted a huge panel which was well over 12M long, but looked like a monster version of a click out kid's toy. "What's that?' I asked.

That was the end of the search for my plastic. I got the half-hour description of how these amazing folk sandwiched dry foam panels between dry cloth, then wrapped the entire in plastic film, wound up the vacuum, let loose the resin and, bugger me, this 12M panel had resin sucked through it, filling both styrene and cloth.

I was once again gobsmacked at the genius on mankind, and entranced by Richard's enthusiasm.

Men with serious money engage High Modulus Plastics. And I mean really, really serious money. And there I was, looking for a scrap of plastic to make a new wind-vane and being treated like the most important person on earth.

I tell ya. It happens only in New Zealand. :--))

Anyway. We finally found the stuff he felt would do. Then an engineer hoved by and Richard asked his advice. The engineer assert that the original design of the wind-vane lacked a bit and then drew out how he thought a few threads of carbon fibre should be resined, here, and here, then there. All the while the calculator buttons were suffering feverish heat from the action.

He finally went on his way. Richard said, 'Hmmmm. You'll need some carbon fibre.' and went off to find some 'scraps'. I'm thinking, 'Holy ****. I ain't that wealthy.'

The 'scrap' was worth God-knows how much, but what got me was...Richard went on to explain a) how to use it. b) warned me that carbon fibre is electrically conductive, and so I had to be careful about not letting just one fibre get into a power tool, or Poof! Dead power tool.

Then some other engineer came by and Richard explained the balances of the paddle...the math of which he'd gripped really quickly....and asked the engineer about a suitable skin for the paddle.

Out came the calc. Much mumbling. Then the answer. 'It'll take 3 ounce cloth and resin at full density.'

By this time I'm not only utterly amazed, intrigued....and man am I having a great learn about modern methods....but in the back of my mind is the costs I have supported talking freely with lawyers, and it occurred to me that the bill here could be a bit on the high side if I'm to be charged for all this advice and materials. And so, I had the foam plastic, the carbon fibre, the glass cloth, and enquired about the cost.

Richard was genuinely surprised.

'Eh? Nar. It's alright. These are just scraps!'

I thought, 'Scraps!'

I have a vague idea what this stuff costs!

'Scraps?!'

I have a problem with getting stuff free. Makes me feel...I dunno. I just don't like it. So I loaded the 'scraps' into my car, raced off to the local bottle shop. Bought a superb bottle of wine. Returned to High Modulas. Dragged Richard out again and gave him the wine. His reply, apart from thanks?

'Back when I owned the business I could have kept this for me. Now I will have to put it in the staff's cellar. But thanks. Nice thought.' And that was that.

Only in New Zealand?
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 03:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kathy.

Try contacting NAVIC - Plastimo @ NAVIMO :

Navimo UK
Hedge End Nr Southampton 01489 778850
Tel: +44 (0)1489 778850
Fax: +44 (0)870 7511950

Navimo USA
7455 16th Street East
Suite 107
Sarasota, FL 34243
Toll-free: 866.383.1888
Local phone: 941.360.1888
Toll-free fax: 866.214.1400
Local fax: 941.360.1648
email: info@navimousa.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 05:26   #6

Boat: PDQ 36 "Grizabella"
Don't know if Kathy ever got her situation resolved.

DPEX that was a great story! I always love hearing about people helping each other out. Just seems like the way it should be.

Thanks for taking the time to share your tale.
holomoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 00:08   #7

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26
Re: Navik Windvane - Desperately Urgent!

to; hud3 & gordMay,
Gents, I realize the thread is long dead at this late date, However, I also have a Navik, windvane, which sadly has broken in some areas, I looked up the references that you both provided and "gloriosky" I think I have found some posible parts! Many thanks, gents and a heap of good on ya both, eh mates?
Old 31-01-2014, 03:33   #8

Boat: Old Wooden Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlblandjr View Post
to; hud3 & gordMay,
Gents, I realize the thread is long dead at this late date, However, I also have a Navik, windvane, which sadly has broken in some areas, I looked up the references that you both provided and "gloriosky" I think I have found some posible parts! Many thanks, gents and a heap of good on ya both, eh mates?
Hey Dlblandjr,

Could you point me in the direction of the Navik parts you've found?
Been searching for a Paddle assembly for a while now.
Thanks and regards!
Smokey Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 03:21   #9

Boat: 1973 Alpa 11.50

@Smokey Magician

maybe Mr. Vee (Sven Heesterman) in the nederlands can help: www.mrvane.com

He produces his own windvane and different spareparts for then navik System.
Charlie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:30   #10

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26

Swen is good, great mate, knows a lot too! but for old parts for Navik go to Marine Megastore: Buy Marine Boating and Chandlery Equipment Online Chandlery 15% off orders over £300!* type Navik in search box at top rt has 16 or so items in stk just now , 04/2015
Old 09-12-2016, 06:01   #11

Hello everybody,
I have one Navik self steering system- in complete order. Some of the parts are DiY but even better than original.
It has served me well, but i havve changed the boat and the transom does not allow mounting it.
Sorry for the bad pictures- it is stored in the garage. If any interest- I can make better pictures of the details you ask me for.

Price 400 Euro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161124_131439.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	137728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161124_131455.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	137729  

Click image for larger version