Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 07:00   #1

Boat: Oday
Mooring or anchorage near Venice Florida?

I am new to the forum and Florida. My wife and I are purchasing an Oday 34 with a 4'7" draft and sailing it from Bradenton south to Burnt Store Marina (Punta Gorda) where we now live. My initial thoughts were to make it a two day trip sailing south (outside) in the gulf and stopping in Venice overnite. So far the only dockage I can find is Crows Nest Marina at $100 a nite. Can anyone provide information about mooring or anchorage sites in the area? I am open to any advice from those with experience in these waters. Thanks
mpraizner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:22   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Mooring or anchorage near Venice Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpraizner View Post
I am new to the forum and Florida. My wife and I are purchasing an Oday 34 with a 4'7" draft and sailing it from Bradenton south to Burnt Store Marina (Punta Gorda) where we now live. My initial thoughts were to make it a two day trip sailing south (outside) in the gulf and stopping in Venice overnite. So far the only dockage I can find is Crows Nest Marina at $100 a nite. Can anyone provide information about mooring or anchorage sites in the area? I am open to any advice from those with experience in these waters. Thanks
===

Crows Nest Marina is probably the best for a one night stay. There are other smaller places both north and south on the ICW but many are limited by draft. Anchorage opportunities in the vicinity of Venice are very limited unless you go farther south. Your best bet is to go on Active Captain and check their current reviews. It's a very good web site and well worth signing up if you haven't already.

https://activecaptain.com/
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It is generally possible to anchor in nearby the yacht club especially for one night. In past overnight tieup on the launch ramp pier was welcomed, but past abuses have possibly ended this. I have had 6.5' into that dock at high tide.
Old 18-01-2016, 04:13   #4

Boat: Hunter, Aftcabin 34, Persistence

Wayne, congrats on the new boat. There are two well protected anchorages just off the ICW in from the Venice cut. I've attached a screen shot of the area with the anchorages outlined in yellow. Also marked Higel Park in green, a public park with a dingy dock from which you can walk to Crow's Nest restaurant or quick mart in the opposite direction. Also circled a fuel dock/pump out station up by Marker 4 restaurant. They won that finger pier shown. Photo is older, most slips now full. But they might allow overnight tie up if you buy fuel. Don't know the price. I draw 4'5" and have no problems anywhere in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Venice Anchorages.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	116927  
smbragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:55   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The Crows Nest restaurant is great!
Old 18-01-2016, 07:38   #6

Boat: Lagoon 40

I have stayed at Crow's Nest a couple of times, and it was a nice spot with easy access. My draft is 5 ft. Another thing to consider - are you a member of a yacht club that is part of GYA? If so, you typically get a courtesy night free at any affiliated GYA club.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:01   #7

If you go around the corner next to the Yacht Club is the Venice City Docks and public boat ramp. You can stay for 48 hours for free. There is enough depth at the end of the dock. Be mindful that the channel is narrow going around the corner and you want to hug the house docks see the red arrow. This information I got from the Chart view on Salty South East Cruisers Net.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:57   #8

Call Royal Palm Marina (just south of Manasota bridge, just north of Tom Adams /Englewood Beach bridge). Not upscale by any means. Depths in basin are good but entrance channel is a little skinny.

Althernatively, there's an easy open anchorage at Indian Mound Park (on East side of channel just north of Tom Adams Bridge). Also an anchorage immediately to the right as you pass through the Tom Adams Bridge going south.
PrivateerAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:00   #9

We keep our boat year round at Fisherman's Wharf Marina at Marker 4. Very secure! Rode out the Saturday storm on board with no problems. A lot of over-nighters often. We draw 5'10". Staff very helpful I dont know the nightly charge, though. Call Cassie at 941-486-0500.
Sailgirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:02   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpraizner View Post
For a yacht with your draft, there really are few options in Venice. As previously noted, you might be able to score a spot on the end of the long dock at Heigel Park but, at last report, over night docking was not permitted. If you are a member of a Yacht Club that is itself a member of the Florida Counsel of Yacht Clubs ("FCYC") you will be able to spend a free night at Venice Yacht Club if they have space available. Otherwise, your only option is the Crows Nest. While a little pricey, it really isn't a bad stop although it can be problematic unless you time your arrival for a slack tide. If not, dealing with an outbound tide upon arrival is easier than a flood. You will also want to time your arrival while the dock master and his/her assistants are still on duty as a knowledgeable line handler on the long dock will make life much easier/safer when you arrive. From Venice, time your departure such that you arrive at Boca Grande at slack tide. While a large, deep, pass, the seas can be pretty nasty there particularly so with wind against tide. Note that although some charts indicate a swash channel/"short cut" into the pass on the north shore, just off the old Boca Grande lighthouse/pier until you are more familiar with the area it would be wiser to go around the shoals on the north side of the pass/channel and enter the channel no earlier than "G-7", from there favoring the south side of the channel.

If you don't have time to make it to Burnt Store from the Boca Grande pass, you can spend the night in either the village at Boca Grande or in Pelican Bay, on the south side of the pass. Alternately, if the winds are westerly, north-westerly (check Passage Weather before you leave Venice), in settled weather you can anchor fairly comfortably along the eastern shore of Boca Grande, about a mile north of the pass itself. As for Pelican Bay, if you stop by Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club (a Club worth joining given your locale), they can provide you with a print of a sketch chart of the entrance track into Pelican Bay that was made up by the members of the Club's Cruising Fleet for the cost of reproduction. With your draft it won't be a problem as long as you know the route.

FWIW... Good Luck on your Trip
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:28   #11
cruiser

GYA club membership doesn't do any good east of Fort Walton in my experience. As was said, your club membership in a Florida Council of Yacht Clubs club will get you reciprocal privileges

Check Active Captain but last time I looked, Marker 4 had shut down. If someone has reopened, and from Sailgirl 58's description it has, Marker 4/whatever should be a good spot for overnighting albeit a bit tricky if the current is running (perpendicular to the slip)
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:33   #12

The current in the Venice cut can easily run at 2+ knots. Arrival at, or departing Crow's Nest can be daunting. Ask me how I know ?
sailor41072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 17:07   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbragg View Post
Wayne, congrats on the new boat. There are two well protected anchorages just off the ICW in from the Venice cut. I've attached a screen shot of the area with the anchorages outlined in yellow. Also marked Higel Park in green, a public park with a dingy dock from which you can walk to Crow's Nest restaurant or quick mart in the opposite direction. Also circled a fuel dock/pump out station up by Marker 4 restaurant. They won that finger pier shown. Photo is older, most slips now full. But they might allow overnight tie up if you buy fuel. Don't know the price. I draw 4'5" and have no problems anywhere in this area.

Check your charts and be careful getting in here. My charts show quite shallow. I fished there once while staying on Casey Key. Take it slow.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 17:29   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Here is an image of the area. For what it may be worth today, many years ago we saw many boats tied to the wall on the SW approach to this bridge at Case Key just north of the Venice Inlet. Many stayed most of a day or more. There is a concrete deck and sheet-pile wall. Public park and beach to the west, Restaurants over the bridge. The Bridge is Albee road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VENICE-CASEY KEY.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	116996  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 23:03   #15

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I've anchored my 5.5 ft draft on either side...east or west...of the island just out from crows nest. if you go for the east side you'll have to anchor stem and stern. overnight isn't a problem and its a no wake zone so traffic isn't a problem either.

it's a little narrow around the bend to the yacht club and the water is pretty skinny off higel park. i've not gone in that part as I'v never seen more than 4' draft boats in there. last year there was no overnight dockage at the park/boat ramp.

if there is only an easterly wind predicted, just slip in a little...to depth...on either side of the jetties. come in drop the hook have dinner crash, weigh anchor in the am and go. save and hour on both in and out passage.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, florida, mooring