Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 13:22   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
Miami to Marathon FL / Deep Draft / What Route?

As the title says... I am going from Miami to Marathon FL. I have already made it from Portsmouth Virginia to Miami, but now things might get trickier. I have heard along my journey so far that I should go on the ocean side when traveling down to the keys. However, I am looking on active captain and I don't see a lot of anchorages ocean side and I am worried about my 6'6 draft as I always am. Any advice on a route to take and anchor spots would be most appreciated. Thanks.

- Lando

My Vessel is a Nordic 40 ... fairly fast sailboat with the right wind.
LandoLeavesLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 13:34   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Miami to Marathon FL / Deep Draft / What Route?

Stick to the ocean side. There are many spots less than 6 feet on the bay side.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:37   #3

Boat: Island Packet 38

Inside, with 6' 6" draft, you won't get past Blackwater Sound (less than half way to Marathon). Going inside to Card Sound then out through Angelfish Creek is pretty dicey at that draft as well. I draw 5' 7" and nervously transit Anglefish at high tide only. Better to head down Hawk's Channel from Miami. If you leave before sunrise, you can get from No Name Harbor (anchor outside No Name, not in the little harbor itself) to Marathon before dark. Otherwise, anchor at Rodriguez Key off Key Largo, off Tavernier Key or near Indian Key. These anchorages are all somewhat open and weather dependent, but OK in settled weather. You can dinghy in to a restaurant/bar at Rodriguez and another at Indian Key. The next opportunity is at Channel 5, go north under the bridge then west to a well protected anchorage off a small marina. Head back south under the bridge into Hawk's Channel and it's a few hours down to Marathon.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 15:19   #4

Many Thanks. Yes, I was looking at Rodriguez key. I'm not in a hurry so I will split it up instead of one big jump. Your information is very useful to me thanks... I am anchored near Biscayne bay, so I will head out of Miami there, but I think I will be exiting out of the Bay early though through Biscayne Channel as the Bay looks shallower more south. I will look at the anchorage outside No Name as well, thanks for that tip.

Thanks again.
Old 26-07-2017, 08:58   #5

Boat: Boatless

Given the right conditions anchoring on the ocean side isn't out of the question.

We found ourselves in this situation in 05 and just dropped the hook in 20' of water somewhere off Matecumbe and spent the night. Was awesome and had a great show delivered by local kite surfers.

Early the next morning up it came and off we went, no fuss.

Light from the NW what ya need for that ;-) We were on a cat so can't speak to the swell but as I recall was minimal.

Enjoy!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 09:41   #6

Government cut to Rodriguez Key, sailing down the Hawk Channel. Spend the night and then you'll be in Marathon the next afternoon. Done it a few times with 6'2" draft with no problem what so ever.

BTW, I've got lots of miles on a Nordic 40 including a Bermuda Race, a Norfolk to Antigua trip and a BVI to Bermuda trip. Take a look at the web site of the boat's owner. He bought the boat when he retired and sailed around the world in her!

Welcome to Captain Ashton Web Page (World Circumnavigation Voyage)

Wishing you a wonderful trip.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 10:05   #7

Boat: temporarily boatless...

With your draft, I think you have no options other than the ones already given, unless you want to risk timing the high tide (and I mean ABSOLUTELY high tide...). Although you CAN anchor unprotected on the outside, I think the chances of a calm night are not good. Rodriguez is your best bet, it's a reasonable daysail sail (I've done it in as little as 8 hours under great conditions), but the holding there is notoriously spotty, so take some time getting your anchor set cleanly.

After that, Marathon is another easily attainable day trip.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 10:42   #8

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

We did that passage a couple of years ago with a 6' draft and found ample water all the way: -
We were heading directly to Marathon down the Hawk Channel (20-30' depths), but when the wind dropped-off after about 80 miles we went under a nearby bridge (I'm assuming 65'?) into Matecumbe Cay where we found a reasonably sheltered anchorage, with good holding in 9-10' depths; probably a further 20-30M to Marathon from there.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 11:29   #9

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLeavesLand View Post
Many Thanks. Yes, I was looking at Rodriguez key. I'm not in a hurry so I will split it up instead of one big jump. Your information is very useful to me thanks... I am anchored near Biscayne bay, so I will head out of Miami there, but I think I will be exiting out of the Bay early though through Biscayne Channel as the Bay looks shallower more south. I will look at the anchorage outside No Name as well, thanks for that tip.
Have done the Hawk Channel route many times with 8' draft. And assuming you have a chart plotter, there should not be a problem following along the west shore of Key Biscayne and around Cape Florida to the marked channel. As mentioned, have done this many times with 8' draft.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 13:02   #10

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Now that you know that you're going on the outside, and that you're not in a rush, definitely stop at Rodriguez Key. Dinghy into the Island Grill at Mandalay - just look for the large YELLOW tent top. That's the restaurant!

Best fresh Tuna nachos ever! And usually good local band. Hey, you might even do what I decided to do last time. I "forgot the AMEX card" when we dinghied back... and just had to stay an extra day to retrieve my card (and another order of tuna nachos)!!

Have an awesome trip!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 13:32   #11

When the weather is good I pick-up a scuba-boat mooring on the outer reef...Nice breeze and no mosquitoes.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 15:01   #12

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

We go inside with 5' draft - the admiral likes the view - and I wouldn't want to do it with 5'6". Outside is easy sailing (watch out for the 10,000 crab pots!). There are not many spots beyond what has been mentioned to anchor (and no deep water marinas outside) so watch the weather forecasts.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 06:20   #13

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Go outside go far to avoid the crab pots. Yup hawks channel ! i do like strange channels at rising 3/4 tide no matter what the GPS says with 20 year old map depth info !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:19   #14

Thanks All for your helpful replies... Currently anchored at Rodriguez Key... will head to Marathon tomorrow. Roniszero...Very cool about Captain Ashton and your previously owned Nordic 40... I will have to get his book now and read it. Thanks again All Of You! Going to get some Tuna Nachos now. : )
Old 04-08-2017, 04:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLeavesLand View Post
Thanks All for your helpful replies... Currently anchored at Rodriguez Key... will head to Marathon tomorrow. Roniszero...Very cool about Captain Ashton and your previously owned Nordic 40... I will have to get his book now and read it. Thanks again All Of You! Going to get some Tuna Nachos now. : )

If you can't find a copy of the book, PM me as I believe I have an extra copy that I'll happily send to a Nordic 40 owner. It is a great boat and Bob Ashton, aka "the Skipper", is a terrific guy.

Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, miami, route