Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2012, 04:05   #1

Med to Aus - Extended Cruising Options

I'm just dreaming aloud about eventually moving my boat back home to Australia. Many or most threads about this tend to cover a limited time span but what about longer term cruises?

I have a general idea about the sort of timing for a relatively quick delivery cruise back bypassing the Hurricane and Cyclone seasons, but I'm not really sure what the options are for cruises that take several years.

What are the options to extend this cruise?

Ok, I know I can hangout in the Caribbean for the season and then hide out in various locations during the hurricane season. Is heading down to northern Brazil for the hurricane season a reasonable option? No one ever seems to mention it hear, but perhaps there is a good reason for that.

What about the Pacific during the cyclone season? Is it ok to hang out in the south east Pacific around Tahiti? I know NZ is an option, but that feels a little to close to home.

Any thoughts about this?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 04:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Med to Aus - extended cruising options

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I'm just dreaming aloud about eventually moving my boat back home to Australia. Many or most threads about this tend to cover a limited time span but what about longer term cruises?

I have a general idea about the sort of timing for a relatively quick delivery cruise back bypassing the Hurricane and Cyclone seasons, but I'm not really sure what the options are for cruises that take several years.

What are the options to extend this cruise?

Ok, I know I can hangout in the Caribbean for the season and then hide out in various locations during the hurricane season. Is heading down to northern Brazil for the hurricane season a reasonable option? No one ever seems to mention it hear, but perhaps there is a good reason for that.

What about the Pacific during the cyclone season? Is it ok to hang out in the south east Pacific around Tahiti? I know NZ is an option, but that feels a little to close to home.

Any thoughts about this?
I think you'd be better going down to the Cap Verdes and Gambia before crossing then across to Brazil and do that first before heading N to the Carib as the seasons change... timing it to get maximum benifit of each area...
The Pacific I'll leave to others..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, extended cruising