Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06   #1

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Machine Shops in the Dodecenese and Cyclades Mediterranean Sea

Quote:
Hi all Does anyone know of or can recommend a machine shop that can/could make a bronze sleeve with an internal thread. I need one to extend the old bronze stuffing box that has a thread externally so that I can fit a Volvo Penta Stern Gland

This is not mine I have a thread on the grey greasy sticky tube part.

This is mine you can see the thread.

This is how it should look in a perfect world.

I need to cover the thread so that I can slide the rubber gland a tight fit onto the exterior of the sleeve.

Copy right Volvo Penta (all copy rights acknowledged)
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:11   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Machine Shops in the Dodecenese and Cyclades Mediterranean Sea

capt mike catch the small cyclades feery to naxos spanos Chandler has a machine shop he is located just behind the town hall he can fix it for you
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

looks like a standard bsp thread,cant help you with exact location of a machine shop,but any hydraulic or machine shop should easily be able to do this for you.

your problem will be finding silicon bronze tube with the correct wall thichness in the islands,but should be easily obtainable in pireaus.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
capt mike catch the small cyclades feery to naxos spanos Chandler has a machine shop he is located just behind the town hall he can fix it for you
The Scopaletes! Thank you I know Nikolas Spanos I have had dealings with him before. I have also been in his machine shop but unfortunately I don't remember if he had a lathe etc. I know he does a lot of stainless work and has quite a good chandlers. His stainless items are quite reasonably priced. Though his labour is very expensive. I have his telephone number but unfortunately my Greek is lacking and so is his English. But his daughter speaks good English. But when you get Nikos you also get the Albanian who is a very nice helpful guy so there are two when often there is a need for only one. It's a minimum of €100.00 an hour. I have spoken to a company in the UK and they say because of the age that if it is bronze it will be a standard brass thread. Unfortunately because of the angle I can't get a Vernier on it properly so I might have to sacrifice the Vernier and cut the arm short so I can measure it correctly. Incidently it's blowing a 6BF here now gusting to 7 then 7 from (pm so I leave you to go to the port and check the boat. Thanks a lot for reminding me.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
looks like a standard bsp thread,cant help you with exact location of a machine shop,but any hydraulic or machine shop should easily be able to do this for you.

your problem will be finding silicon bronze tube with the correct wall thichness in the islands,but should be easily obtainable in pireaus.
Thank you for your reply and help
Old 11-04-2011, 13:00   #6

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I am leaving zea marina wed sailing. Down to naxos should be there fri/sat weather permitting so if you would like me to get you any thing ie from vetus etc can do
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Thanks for your message I already have found 1 in brass that seems to be the correct internal diameter but it is not the full diameter required for the whole length there is a small raised section at either end 41mm+ diameter which reduces in the centre and 41mm+ is what I need and as it was in brass and I did not want to remove the stern gland and push the prop shaft back while the boat was in the water just to see if it fitted while water gushes in.
That is as far as I have got at the moment.

Old 11-04-2011, 16:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
I am leaving zea marina wed sailing. Down to naxos should be there fri/sat weather permitting so if you would like me to get you any thing ie from vetus etc can do
Thank you very much that is most kind of you.
If you have read the previous parts of the thread you will notice Benetaue 500 mentioned Spanos Marine

I went through Vetus catalogue at your suggestion but could see nothing that I think could help me.

I would greatly appreciate if you could check out his workshop inside the chandlers shop at the back and see if he has a lathe and the material and is capable of making it.

He does not speak a lot of English but he can get by. His daughter speaks good English. I could fone him but would rather someone saw it and asked him if he can do it.

Nikolas Spanosis. to the right as you face the port, against the one way traffic system past the banks Meteo.gr and Cosmote and along the upper coast road past the Emporiki Bank and on the left.

Naxos Marine Spanos. Spanos Nikolaos Next to the Post
Office LL 22850 23121 Mob: 6976 990650 See the map.

Number 4 is the Post Office but the map is not that accurate. If you do not have the time I quite understand. but if you can its best to call him on his mobile first in case he is in his van or the port.

I was contemplating going to Naxos but it is a very long day there and back on the ferry by blue star if you can't get the Scopeletes.

Tags
Cyclades, mediterranean