Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 15:01   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Leaving from Seattle to San Francisco then across the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
This was my initial route and if the prevailing winds are normal I will use it. But I'm watching the winds in that area and so far they are running east to west which is unusual for this time of year.

Also I heard that the weather in Hawaii is not to friendly starting in October. Is that true?
Do you have a planned ETA for Davao?

Hawaii being a remote Island group, October winds are all about what weather systems are prevailing around it at the time.
Have made the same trip, same season.. 3 times in the past :.....approaching Hawaii each time has been different.....but never wind forward of the beam.

Perhaps some members from Hawaii can give us some better Intel?

Assuming your timing to head West from SF is around late Oct-November, by the time you get into the West Pacific, (micronesia) .... the Typhoon Season is mostly over and NE monsoons will become dominant.

El Ninio affects are more about rainfall levels in the West Pacific with the East experiencing an increase in abnormal weather systems forming there and heading west

These can affect your passage but the dominant NE monsoon will be well entrenched after New Year.

If Davao is just a haul out spot, keep the option of Hinatuan Pass open from Palau, with a variety of haul out options and better support in Cebu.

That is the best weather approach to the Philippines in Jan-Feb. Especially if your eventual destination is Guimaras (beautiful island)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:50   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Skipper, do you watch windyty.com? It is a great wind, wave, pressure, website many people follow. Have a fellow in Hawaii that I am in contact with that has had to prepare three times in the last month for hurricanes. None of them touched down thank goodness. But it was very interesting to watch windyty.com to see these 3 hurricanes spinning across the pacific towards Hawaii lined up like freighters coming into san Francisco. I can't ever remember seeing this scenario....ever!

You know how the weather can be. They are saying torrential rains are coming. Heavens only knows we need the rain in drought stricken west coast. Not trying to be a wet blanket for you...truth...this ain't no normal weather pattern, mate. Have plenty of plans for extra fuel and where to hunker down when needed.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 18:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those interested in Davao Philippines, I can recommend this new online magazine site for some interesting views of what is happening in that city. It looks like an interesting city with much to offer (food, music, live entertainment, festivals, art, culture). I hope to visit there in the future, and would enjoy making the journey by boat.

Best places to eat, drink, shop, play and enjoy life in Davao -Best of Davao

I think Jim Cate had some good points regarding the weather etc. He does have a lot of experience in that part of the world.

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 19:20   #19

Boat: Coronado 23

earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions
kdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 22:10   #20

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Hi Windrush. Which boat will you be voyaging in? I was Claire Oberly's rigger in '70-'71. I did 15 Mariners, including 31' s, '32's and 40's. Still love to have a 40. Don't worry about Cate,he means well but can be very opinionated and, sometimes, a bit condescending. You'll most likely be stopping off at my old yacht club, Morro Bay,after being thrashed coming down the coast. Have a great adventure ,my friend.
We are taking the Mariner 40. I really like how it handles the weather and we have spent the last year getting her prepared with a complete bottom job, repaired a few planks, deck and cabin. I also replaced all the wiring, new panel and all updated Electronics.

How is Morro Bay for anchoring? is there any other anchorages in the bay area that I should know about? I really don't want to be hassled with marinas in California.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 22:33   #21

Very cool!

I have been using passageweather.com to study the weather and typhoons. They also have trade route maps I have downloaded.
Old 10-09-2015, 22:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Do you have a planned ETA for Davao?)
We hope to arrive in the Philippines early December. but I am in no hurry so just depends on how the weather cooperates, thanks for all the info
Old 11-09-2015, 05:02   #23

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

You must have one of the woodies. What year and hull number? I didn't commission yours. Morro Bay Yacht Club will give you a side tie but charge you. Try going to the fuel dock.Or,the port capt.will find something. There's also a pump out dock south of MBYC.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:16   #24

If you have three or more watchstanders, stay outside the Channel Islands and head directly to San Diego. You'll get there in a third of the time. Departure from the West Coast is up to your discretion. Give a Mariner 40 sea room and she'll carry you anywhere in safety and comfort. I envy you this voyage in this good old boat.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
You must have one of the woodies. What year and hull number? I didn't commission yours. Morro Bay Yacht Club will give you a side tie but charge you. Try going to the fuel dock.Or,the port capt.will find something. There's also a pump out dock south of MBYC.
She is hull #10 Mahogany over Oak built in 1967. the build plate says Designed by William Garden, Purchased by Philip Cox. I am the 4th owner. I heard that the boat has made many voyages across the Pacific.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:07   #26

Windrush , if you Google Claire Oberly's website, it will have lots of info and background on Claire and the development of the line. Basically, he and a partner were building H-28s in Yokosuka, Japan. Then, they went to Burmuda30s, which they stretched and tweaked until they became the Mariner 31. They built a beautiful wood 35, but not in glass. I rigged the first 32' and Claire and I showed it in the L.A. boat show. It had a black hull,trailboards and teak taffrail; a 32' Mariner 40. That's the rare one.BTW, Claire's partner built the Sea Wolf ketch. That's why they are so similar.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:42   #27

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Winter weather on the west coast in an El Nino year is fairly predictable. The consensus is the NW will be dry and warm and Socal will be wet, stormy and cooler. That is when they get all those floods and mudslides. The dividing line is the hard part. Will SF get the wet stuff? If you do decide to go to Socal be aware of the potential for very severe weather down there this winter. Likewise the pineapple express weather phenomenon which can be triggered by El Nino would mean a really rough ride to Hawaii.
Have a good trip and tell us about it.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:46   #28

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

sometimes it is not the snotty weather that grates , but the snotty folks. we were surprised at how snobby some cruisers were to every one that didn't have their experience yet. we avoid those folks when we meet them out here. and they don't do that to us much but you can tell who is sort of dickish .
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 22:28   #29

Hi sounds like a great adventure!
I will be very interested to hear all about your voyage. I have often thought once I have some more experience and retired I would like to make a trip to Hawaii around the same time of year and come back in the spring so as to not miss out on all the beautiful cruising here in BC Canada.
I have the Jimmy Cornell’s Atlas and it is full of great information, I would like to know more of the autumnal gales this time of year and would be concerned doing the trip during an El Nino year.
Safe journey!
jtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 04:21   #30

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

windrush, tx for the passage weather site. Great site.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco, seattle