Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 05:26   #1

Lake Salior Wants to Sail In the Ocean

Hi fam,

I've been sailing in a lake in North Texas for several years. I really want to do some coastal sailing, and Galveston is a natural location to start. The question: should I ease into this venture by sailing in the bay at first or just plot a short course from Kemah to Galveston and go? Is there another option that I'm not considering?

I'm sailing is a 25' MacGregor with new sails and we'll kept equipment. Thanks in advance for your perspective and advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
dmpventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 06:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Lake Salior Wants to Sail In the Ocean

If you have not already done so, go to "Sailingtexas(dot com) and look at the resources and information there. You will find links to sailing clubs and groups in the Galveston/Kemah area and info on the sailing conditions etc.

I sailed for years in Texas lakes too, and enjoyed it. But, I learned more about sailing in San Francisco Bay, while coastal cruising, offshore racing etc. Tides, currents, larger seas (waves + swells), fog, higher winds, and such make for a different and more challenging environment, and in my view, more fun.

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail