Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 18:48   #1

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Key West > St.Mary's, GA - Route? Time?

Well this is it! Stray Cat @ C has had her bottom painted, and her sail drives rebuilt and is ready to come home. She is a 2002 Wildcat Catamaran. We leave on Monday to go back down to the Keys and move aboard. Looking for estimated travel time and the best suggested route. St. Marys is on the Florida Georgia border and just south of Brunswick Ga. Captian Freddie has been working on the boat and overseeing her repairs while I have been slaving away on land eager to get on board. hoping to have enough time to actually enjoy the trip and have alotted 2 weeks. since we are still new to this length of trip all advice will be welcomed.
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
As far as route, you just go south down the east coast of FL. I guess there is the decision of offshore or down the Intracoastal. The standard pros and cons of each apply for this stretch. If offshore stay close in or you will be bucking the Gulf Stream.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:49   #3

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Key West to St. Marys Ga passage

I probally stated it wrong but we will be heading north. The trip will start in key West and end in St Marys. We will be driving down in a rental car and then sailing back up the coast. We would rather sail outside but may have to motor up the intercoastal if the weather isn't favorable. Wondering where the best places are to stop and anchor how far we should figure we will travel since we will be moving with the stream.
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 20:09   #4

Two weeks should do it, if you can do at least one or two overnights. There are plenty of good overnight harbors in the Keys and on the Florida coast, but you'll want to do some cruise planning to make sure you can find an anchorage or a dock every night if necessary.

As for your route in the Keys, I'd try to get from Key West to someplace like Cudjoe or Big Pine Key first night, then Marathon, then Islamorada, then Key Largo. These are all pretty short hops, and nice spots to overnight. From Key Largo to No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne is a longer hop, but easily done in a day. After Key Biscayne, just head up the Florida Coast... stay outside to avoid the bridges and speed limits.

Do your overnights when the weather is favorable. You might be able to use the Gulf Stream to pick up a couple of knots ...... I think you need to be at least 5 miles off the coast to catch the Stream.

I'm envious!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 20:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Sorry I was confused. Then change one line, going north stay in the Gulf Stream for an extra 2-3 knot boost until you are far enough north to head in for St Marys. The entrance to the ICW at St Mary's is open and well marked. Was just there yesterday.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west