Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 04:42   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11
Insurance for Tranat

Would appreciate any help finding an insurance company to cover a transat this year, all suggestions welcome.
__________________

__________________
angelssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:03   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Insurance for Tranat

Type of boat, size, value... its getting so many won't give cover below certain value... apart for 3rd party liability.
Pantaneaus.. never remember the spelling...lol
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:17   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11
Re: Insurance for Tranat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Type of boat, size, value... its getting so many won't give cover below certain value... apart for 3rd party liability.
Pantaneaus.. never remember the spelling...lol
Nic 38 ketch, £40,000.00
Thanks
__________________
angelssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:38   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La la Land
Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Posts: 410
Re: Insurance for Tranat

For the past 12 years I was insured with Pantaenius till I found a serious hole in their rig cover which meant that 12% of my boat was uninsured.

I moved to Y Yacht Insurance | Insurance quote | Yacht Insurance quotes | Cheap Yacht Insurance quote. Cheaper to boot. Incidentally, the man behind Y yacht insurance used to be the MD of Pantaenius UK.
__________________
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:07   #5
Registered User
 
Tim R.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Portland, Maine
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
For the past 12 years I was insured with Pantaenius till I found a serious hole in their rig cover which meant that 12% of my boat was uninsured.

I moved to Y Yacht Insurance | Insurance quote | Yacht Insurance quotes | Cheap Yacht Insurance quote. Cheaper to boot. Incidentally, the man behind Y yacht insurance used to be the MD of Pantaenius UK.
Can you please elaborate on the "hole" you found?
__________________
Tim R.
Our Carina is sold
1997 Caliber 40LRC
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 05:43   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La la Land
Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Posts: 410
Re: Insurance for Tranat

Sure Tim

Last March, we broke a mooring in the Exumas and ended up on the beach. Whilst being towed off, one of our spreaders was broken by the towline. Luckily the only other damage was to the bottom of the keel. We limped to Florida to have her fixed. In the course of the claim, Pantaenius made a 30% deduction because the spreader was over 10 years old “new for old deduction”.



Recently, I have discovered that this deductable applies for everything in the case of a “Partial Loss” as Sestina is over 10 years old. A back of an envelope calculation, should Sestina’s mast fall down is frightening. The costs of replacement approximate 12.5% of her total insured value. A very large sum to have uninsured all the time.




__________________
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:08   #7
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Insurance for Tranat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Sure Tim

Last March, we broke a mooring in the Exumas and ended up on the beach. Whilst being towed off, one of our spreaders was broken by the towline. Luckily the only other damage was to the bottom of the keel. We limped to Florida to have her fixed. In the course of the claim, Pantaenius made a 30% deduction because the spreader was over 10 years old “new for old deduction”.



Recently, I have discovered that this deductable applies for everything in the case of a “Partial Loss” as Sestina is over 10 years old. A back of an envelope calculation, should Sestina’s mast fall down is frightening. The costs of replacement approximate 12.5% of her total insured value. A very large sum to have uninsured all the time.



I think you'll find most if not all have an age limit on standing rigging and components... on average this is/was 10 years old for a fully comprehensive policy... after that its not considered worthy of new for old... also it discourages folk from being tempted..
Personally.. my claim after a lightening strike for new electronic's/lights in the Med had a Surveyor on board in 48hrs.. he told us to go buy replacements.. and we got full new for old settlement on blown equipment.. within 2 weeks..
I can't fault them.. and the folk at the Plymouth office were really helpful in advising me in a claim against another boat..
Service above and beyond the call....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:15   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,053
Re: Insurance for Tranat

Whether you are getting "replacement value" versus depreciated value for any goods, under any insurance policy, is something you need to scrutinize your policy for, as most insurers will offer policies both ways at different premium rates. A good insurance agent would point this out before recommending one policy or the other.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:28   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La la Land
Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Posts: 410
Re: Insurance for Tranat

In the dim and distant past I used to insure the rig as a separate item. You added up what it would cost if you were sailng with all your biggest sails up at the the same time. Some catastrophe happened and all you were left with was the chainplates...

If you were racing there was a blanket 25% deductable. If cruising, the whole lot was covered. Maybe in the interests of simplicity the Underwriters have decided to lump everything together. Incidentally, my current insurers give full "all risks" cover, rather than "insured peril". Within the current context, sails over two years old, or under .75oz and aren't covered. Careful comparison of the small print is advisable.
__________________

__________________
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.