Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 18:20   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sea bats

I remember one guy who would insist that the mates would quit hitting him so he could see the sea bats.

I sent a snipe down to the engine room for a roll of LH Acme threads. They sent him back UP with a 50# roll of copper wire. I told him to take it back, that it was the wrong size.
Old 04-11-2007, 18:27   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think there was a recent thread here on all the bizarre stuff you can send a newbie sailor to go looking for.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46   #18

Crossing the line

I crossed the line the first time aboard the Blue Ridge. It'd recently come out of dry dock so about half the crew had never been across. The shellbacks had a hard time making all of us miserable enough.

On the other hand, they had a select few who they managed to hospitalize. Funny how they all turned out to be visible minorities (except the XO, who had to have stitches on his ass from too much shillelagh.)

At the time I didn't much care, thought it was a lot of fun. Now I'm an old fart I'm not so sure.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05   #19

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Crossed 4 times, first as an enlisted man in 1979 aboard the good ship USS Dixie (AD-14) enroute to Chagos a.k.a. Diego Garcia BIOT. Got off fairly easy as we had a large crew which equals less time harassing each scurvy wog...

As a shiny new Ensign in 1984 I crossed again aboard USS Proteus (AS-19), once again enroute to Diego Garcia. At least we went to Freemantle afterwards - what a great time! Anyway, the skipper was a slimy wog and I have a great photo of him being "fed" from the urinal... He was a great sport about the whole thing and a good time was had by all. Best C.O. I ever worked for - knew his stuff and partied hearty...

Unfortunately, the Navy has its share of idiots who get carried away and ruin these ceremonies for others. During my second crossing I came upon some jerk who was using a cattle prod on the wet Wogs crawling around the mess decks. I almost fed it to him I was so mad.

The submarine force has their Bluenose" ceremony for crossing the Arctic circle, and unfortunately in the 80s someone got carried away and a shipmate died. Seems that the tradition includes "greasing" which is what it sounds like applied between the cheeks. Some nuclear rocket scientist used a pneumatic grease gun - inserted no less - and the poor sailor died.

Similar stupid events with Chief Petty Officer initiations.... all this led up to a crack down after bad press, etc. So now things are much more sedate and closely monitored.

It's a shame that the actions of a stupid few spoil things for everyone.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:22   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,

"It's a shame that the actions of a stupid few spoil things for everyone."

That says it all.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29   #21

Thanks for reminding me about the "Golden Rivet." I think I started looking for the "Golden Rivet" but caught on when I saw someone else receive the results of his search. Lookout watches were set many times for "mail buoys."
Since we'd get mail about once every two weeks if we were lucky it was a good thing to catch a new sailor with. Remember baptizing the Chaplain when we high lined him from one ship to the other?
JohnL
Old 14-11-2007, 13:15   #22

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Guys your memories are too funy! Brought back memories of my own "Hell Night" after my probationary year on the fire dept!

And thank you to all the vetrans for your service.
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 13:21   #23

I've got my bluenose and shellback. Go Navy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 18:59   #24

Imperium Neptuni Regis

Hey guys, I had a question for you if you didn't mind. My adopted uncle was in the Sea Bees during World War II, lost a couple of friends in Pearl Harbor and was stationed in the Gilbert Islands, and passed away a few years ago. I found an old certificate of sorts that he had had, called Imperium Neptuni Regis. It was dated Nov. 26, 1943. I am curious as to what it is exactly for, and I thought that maybe you guys could help me out. He was a great man, and I'd like to know more about him.
Thanks a lot!

Alquix
Alquix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 19:22   #25

Aloha Alquix,
Maybe you'll get a quicker answer from someone else but I'd like to see the certificate via photo if you can send one. That way I can verify exactly what it is.
It could be a shellback certificate meaning that your uncle had crossed the equator and it would give the time, date and longitude. Latitude would be 0 degrees.
Kind Regards,
Johnl
Old 17-04-2008, 19:27   #26

As you'll see in the photo of DelMarrey's first post there is little credit sized card that is laminated and you can carry with you to prove that you crossed the equator. It is very important that you keep that with you so that you never ever have to go through the initiation again. Believe me, you'll not want to do it twice. Imperium Neptunis Regis is a good indication that it is your uncles large certificate which would be a frameable version of the card.
JohnL
Old 17-04-2008, 20:32   #27

Pictures.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cert1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	3344   Click image for larger version

Name:	cert2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	3345  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cert3.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	3346   Click image for larger version

Name:	cert4.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3347  

Alquix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 20:49   #28

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Cool Wow!

That's really neat. Better take care of it!!!! it maybe valuable as good of shape it's in. Put it a protective frame and keep it dry.

That's like the one my father had but it rotted away 30 years ago.

Definitely a Shellback Card!