Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 17:31   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
ICW: Rock Hall - Oriental

I plan on leaving Rock Hall, MD next week and I'm bringing the boat to Oriental, NC.

I am going to have my dog on board for the trip, who is well trained but I would prefer to stop in a marina every night because I will be without a dinghy and windlass on the boat, and I would like to let him on shore at night.

If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great. My main dilemma as of now is whether or not to take the Great Dismal Swamp Canal, or do the Virginia Cut. My boat is 40' and draws 5', so I don't think I will have any issues doing the Dismal Swamp, I just want to be able to get on shore at night, which means no anchoring (unless it's unavoidable).

Thanks for any advice,

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 17:50   #2

Boat: Various
Re: ICW: Rock Hall - Oriental

At the moment there are issues with the Dismal Swamp. The bridge right at the Welcome center (The Dismal Swamp Canal State Park Bridge) is malfunctioning creating a clearance of 0 feet. The latest projection on repair is the 19th.

This has not been a good last year for the swamp. If you want to see the swamp, spend time there, then it's an enjoyable choice. However, for navigation and getting where you're going with ease the Virginia Cut is really a much better route. As to a 40' sailboat with 5' draft, generally you can navigate it without problems but you're close to the last information I've seen which reported 6.8' minimum.

There are certainly arguments both ways, but right now the Dismal Swamp isn't an option.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 17:59   #3

Great to know, thanks so much.

In that case, I'll leave this thread open for any info regarding the traditional Virginia Cut route, and any ICW tips until Oriental.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Great to know, thanks so much.

In that case, I'll leave this thread open for any info regarding the traditional Virginia Cut route, and any ICW tips until Oriental.
In addition to this forum, it's always good to check Cruisersnet and Waterway Guide prior to trips in that area. It wasn't that long ago the Dismal Swamp had a lock down and boats lined up waiting. Then before that Duckweed was their problem. That said, many find it to be just a wonderful trip. The beauty and nature on the Dismal Swamp is it's plus. But many do find themselves digging up bits of growth and bottom.

The highlight of the Virginia Cut may well be the 32 ounce Prime Rib in Coinjock. A lot of people do find Coinjock a pleasant stop with side tie after going through the Cut. One issue sailboaters sometimes have if they are slow is timing the bridges and getting through with the faster boats. I can't verify this is up to date but here is a bridge schedule.

Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) Virginia Bridge Schedule & Lock Restrictions
Old 14-03-2014, 18:25   #5

Thanks, I have never been to Cruiser's Net, great site. I have the Maptech Cruising guide from Chesapeake to FL, as well as Skipper Bob's marina and anchorage booklets.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Thanks, I have never been to Cruiser's Net, great site. I have the Maptech Cruising guide from Chesapeake to FL, as well as Skipper Bob's marina and anchorage booklets.
I've found when traveling the ICW that there is no such thing as too much information. And it changes daily. They've been working on the Gilmerton Bridge on the Virginia Cut. Skipper Bob's also has updates on their site. Most of those with published guides do.

One thing we do is just sit down and look through all the information right before a trip and then each night we do check for updates and new problems. Some of the marinas are also good for local knowledge and if you have questions the tow boat operators are always good for information.
Old 14-03-2014, 18:37   #7

Boat: Olympic adventure

Hi, we just did the trip last month. You can read about it at
SV Black Swan
My husband also reviewed the marinas on activecaptain

cheers
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 18:46   #8

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In addition to this forum, it's always good to check Cruisersnet
I would 2nd this. Several I know that travel the ICW use this site.
It's a great resource for anyone traveling unfamiliar waters.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 18:52   #9

Boat: Beneteau 393

If you are interested in doing this fairly cheap, there are a few places where you can tie up for free that come to mind (especially this time of year). Cambridge, MD; Portsmouth,Va; the abandoned marina near Pungo, NC; Elizabeth City, NC...extra time is involved for Cambridge and EC, but if you aren't in a hurry these are great stops

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 19:00   #10

Great, thanks Frank.

swanny, love your blog, very cool stories. Any more photos of the boat?
Old 14-03-2014, 19:25   #11

Boat: Olympic adventure

Lots more photo's... Have a great trip!
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 19:58   #12

allllrighty then

Tags