Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 16:30   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Many, like us, prefer the Dismal Swamp route. Take a look,-it's pleasant. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 17:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
To do the Dismal Swamp means you really want an early morning start from Portsmouth. That will allow you to get to a nice place to spend the night.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 18:31   #18

I will second Pblais info about the potomac, take his warning serious. Last year in the fall I got beat half to death lost my dink and new outboard, cracked my cabin door ect.... The wind was kicking when I crossed waves were 7' +. I did not believe the chesapeake could get so rough. This year was just like a pond and I anchored on the south side over night. CHECK THE WEATHER
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 19:21   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Several years ago we did a gale with 8+ waves across the Potomac. When the chop kicks up on the Bay it's serious stuff. Odd part of it was there was a bright blue sky. It wasn't what I was thinking of since you just assume the weather has to look bad to be that bad. You can get the same in the Albemarle and Pamlico too. Island waters can make steep short frequency waves that at night will be a nightmare. The Great Lakes can be far worse. We did sail fast but I know I could not have done it for more than a day. When we passed Smith Point the waves dropped 2 ft. Tides counter to the wind make a huge difference in both size and steepness. 8 ft waves on a frequency of three boat lengths is a lot of work.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 19:51   #20

Be advised about the albemarle sound The bridge to the alligator river will not open if the winds are blowing over 30 mph Usually you will here of this on channel 16
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 21:01   #21

Also...please review the EAST COAST Alerts on the BoatUS forums for the latest shoaling and bridge reports as well as the SaltySoutheastCruisersNet. DO NOT rely on your chartplotter line especially at the mouth of the Alligator River.
Better yet...if you want to do some sailing...do not use the Alligator River route. Instead, head southEAST at the bottom of the Albemarle and go behind the Outer Banks and down the Pamilico Sound...then up the Neuse River to join back in to the ICW. There is free overnight Dockage in Manteo and a GREAT stop in Ocracoke if you have time...and it is plenty deep and allows you to actually sail for a couple of days!
Much easier.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 16:11   #22

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
head southEAST at the bottom of the Albemarle and go behind the Outer Banks and down the Pamilico Sound...then up the Neuse River to join back in to the ICW. There is free overnight Dockage in Manteo and a GREAT stop in Ocracoke if you have time...and it is plenty deep and allows you to actually sail for a couple of days!
Much easier.

This is what Ive done, Anchoring in good weather behind Kitty Hawk, heading to Ocracoke then crossing over to the Neuse and rejoining the ICW. We made kitty hawk around 8 pm out of Norfolk ( 7 am start) . Pungo Ferry is a nice stop after Norfolk if you're not in a hurry.

Tags
icw