Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 03:25   #1

I know nothing of Sailing Can someone be so kind to HELP me please!

I am new to sailing! Never sailed before. I have a plan in mind. My plan is to Sail around the World, that's as short as I can put it. I live in Miami, FL for over 2 years now. I am one of those guys that is just tired of society and want to get away from it all and fallow the beautiful images from the movie "Blue Lagoon". I am researching for an Offshore Sailboat. Do I know what I am looking for? Nop. .
Do I know anything about Sailing? Nop. . . All I have is this deep desire to adventure throughout the World in search of Blue Water Dreams. There are several questions in my mind to ask those of you who have experience and have earned the seas respect.

1. What is a good Offshore Sailboat? (12-24k, 30 to 32 Feet)
2. What's the best way to get used to Motion Sickness? (How Long)
3. Where do I start to look to buy a Sailboat?
4. When is the best time to Sail from Miami to Tobago?
5. How much is the usual fees to stop and get gas?
6. What documents do I need for International waters?
7. Can I register my Sailboat in another Country?
8. Can you carry a Rifle to protect yourself in International water?

Any and all of your Help will do! Thank you so much!
thiago1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 03:33   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: I know nothing of Sailing Can someone be so kind to HELP me please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago1979 View Post
I am new to sailing! Never sailed before. I have a plan in mind. My plan is to Sail around the World, that's as short as I can put it. I live in Miami, FL for over 2 years now. I am one of those guys that is just tired of society and want to get away from it all and fallow the beautiful images from the movie "Blue Lagoon". I am researching for an Offshore Sailboat. Do I know what I am looking for? Nop. .
Do I know anything about Sailing? Nop. . . All I have is this deep desire to adventure throughout the World in search of Blue Water Dreams. There are several questions in my mind to ask those of you who have experience and have earned the seas respect.

How long is a piece of string? What is a good 4WD? Too many answers...

Sit under an oak tree. Forever.

Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com and other www sites.

December to May.

Anywhere from zero to a few hundred dollars in order to enter a new country.

Boat registration, passport, sometimes a visa.

Yes.

You're welcome!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 03:39   #3

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago1979

1: if the choices are 30 or 32, go big, 32.

2: hurl.

3: in and around water.

4: if you are a morning person, morning.

5: price of fuel should do it.

6: keep a copy of everything. Show these to everyone.

7: yes

Hang out on the dock until someone takes you out. If you like it, never look back.
Old 22-09-2012, 03:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Welcome to the forum. If you use the search function in the menu at the top of the page you will find that most of your questions have been covered in depth in previous threads. But to give you a few quick answers.

Lots and lots and lots of options. Suggest you search this forum and the internet and you will find more to read on this subject that you can cover in a week.

Every one is different. Some never get seasick, some never adjust, some are sensitive for the first day out and then immune, some are fine in good weather but always get sick if it gets rough. You can't tell until you go out and see how you react.

Previous answer is a good place to start.

Not during hurricane season.

Not sure what you mean. If you stop at a dock to fuel up the only charge is for the fuel. If you mean stopping in another country while cruising to get fuel it is different for each country.

International waters boat papers and personal ID. If checking into another country more may be required.

Yes.

Yes but if you leave international waters to check into another country you may have to surrender the rifle. In some countries it is a criminal offense to posses a rifle.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 03:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Thiago.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 04:01   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Recommend you start by just learning and doing some sailing! Beyound that you need to do a lot more reading before posting the sailing world's largest question.
Old 22-09-2012, 04:28   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I am new to sailing! Never sailed before. I have a plan in mind. My plan is to ............
Welcome aboard T.

I had the same ideas about 30+ years back but didn't have any internet to ask so I used another approach - it might work for you.

I went around the local marinas looking at boats for sale and went to the library to look for "how to sail books". Long story short, bought a steel 30 footer that looked tough but affordable, went sailing most weekends and after awhile stopped making really basic mistakes. Then over the years taught myself boat maintenance - simple really, if it breaks either replace it or take it apart and learn how it works, then replace the broken bits.

Somewhere along the journey you will either give up the dream or be hooked forever.

After 30+ years and 3 boats later, I am still not sure if I am hooked or not .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 08:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Read this book - Cape Horn to Starboard: Johm Kretschmer: 9781580801621: Amazon.com: Books

There is not really a lot of "Blue Lagoon" moments when sailing around the world. There are lots of Blue Lagoon moments when you pick a place that has blue lagoons and stick around and cruise a bit.

Quote:
There are folks who have a lot of money (or sponsors) who went sailing with little experience and very expensive boats. They represent the 1%.

The skills needed to sail around the world (especially in a 32 foot boat) would take 6 months to 1 year of full time sailing and learning to acquire. You also have to become pretty self sufficient at all underway repairs and contingencies.

Sorry - but it really isn't as simple as you may think it is.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 14:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

There is a really good book at Amazon that answers exactly all those questions try Around-The-World Sailing Guide.
Wallabycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 16:27   #10

Boat: 1979 Pearson 33

Just like you, I decided I wanted to get away from it all by sailing.

I live in Miami and joined the Coconut Grove Sailing Club. I was about to plunk down a large amount of money on a nice 42 Jeanneu (and the closest I had been to a boat was the Brooklyn Navy Yard).

One of the members there (an older gentleman with over 70 years of sailing experience) said to me to go get some classes and then buy a small sailboat.

I took the Basic Keelboat Class and then found a 1976 23' Alberg Sea Sprite, which I sailed for 2 years and learned how to do a bottom job, install a roller furling, self tailing winches, rebuilt a 5 HP Nissan kicker and sailed up and down Biscayne Bay.

This year I went up in size and I purchased a 1974 33' Pearson. I'm planning on sailing to Key West in November and after that to Belize and then.....

So learn to sail small and then move up. You might also find that there are a lot of people at the club that had the same idea as you. I have yet to find someone at the club that won't come over when I'm working on my boat and offer to help, just like on this forum.

My only problem I have is that I fell in love with that 23' and now I need to get her a new home.

I wish you success and if you have any questions and want to stop by the club, send me an email - rjo55@hotmail.com.

Bob
robyn-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 21:28   #11

Great advice Bob! I have enlisted on the Sailing Club called "Shake a Leg" I found that the course is expensive, but priceless when I have to deal with situations offshore. To tell you the truth I didn't expect much from this forum, but all of you have proof me wrong! I am thankful for each and everyone here who love to share their passion in life with others. I figure with a couple of books and some Sailing Classes on the way it should give me a good start for a newbie like me. With the Help of information that Sailors share with each other, I feel in good stance. For the sailing part I believe it's in good works, now I have a lot to learn on other aspects of sailing just like most of you have advised me. I have also gone to a Boat Repair Shop on the Marina at Coconut Groove to offer my help on any boat repairs just so I can have some experience fixing a boat, but found no one at the time. I would kindly provide a Police background and ID to anyone willing to let me help them repair a Hull or any fixing of a sailboat. Again to everyone here thank you for all your support!
Old 29-09-2012, 21:41   #12

Ex-Calif
I agree with "It really isn't as simple as you may think it is" some aspects of Sailing I except it's going to be hard to learn and some I just will have to GO and DO so I can have the experience. For right now I rely on the positives all of you have share with me. What I have is a Dream is a passion that maybe yourself have felt before you have gone in your first journey, that's what drives me forward! Thank you for your support.
Old 29-09-2012, 21:48   #13

Wotname Thank you for your Reply.
I have also gone to a Boat Repair Shop on the Marina at Coconut Groove to offer my help on any boat repairs just so I can have some experience fixing a boat, but found no one at the time. I would kindly provide a Police background and ID to anyone willing to let me help them repair a Hull or any fixing of a sailboat. Again to everyone here thank you for all your support!
Old 29-09-2012, 22:07   #14

Jimbo485

Thank you for your Reply!

I have a new Book that I bot in Amazon called " World Cruising Routes [Hardcover]
Jimmy Cornell" and I found the times of best sailing is in the Autumn and Winter months. What I plan to sail is the Summer months. Why would you sail just in SAFE months unless all you want is to get from point A to point B?
Old 29-09-2012, 22:22   #15

GaryMayo

Thanks for your Reply!
The reason I was asking the docking fee is the same as a car parked. Most of the time what I would like to use a dock is for Fuel refiling and to get some items in the Marina to eat. I have read somewhere on the net that to dock you have to pay 40 to 60 Dollars. The price in some Marinas are PER FEET and others a small fee of 4 dollars to dock and get fuel.

Tags
sailing