Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-11-2012, 23:18   #91

Re: I know nothing of Sailing Can someone be so kind to HELP me please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Wonder why folks are so resistant to use the search function? A couple of the OP's questions are legit and would have gotten serious answers. Throw them all together and this is what happens. Moreover, our answers are apparently the initial info the OP has garnered, soon to be forgotten or superceded by the first time OP runs into a sailor in a bar. So what's the point?

But here's my take anyway: Buy a daysailer for cheap. learn to sail. Want a name? Catalina 22. Save money. Read books. Start crewing for others whenever you can. Save money. You'll begin to run into deals, some real. As experience grows, you'll begin to know the difference. Whatever you decide to do about firearms/drugs/holding tank emptying, do it and don't discuss it with anyone. When you need a line for a specific purpose, use the search function. Please don't buy a waterski tope and tell everyone why you think it's better for halyards or docklines. When you find an anchor that works for you, don't go on a forum and tell people how great it is. Have a little humility.

Welcome to the forum. Happiness is based on self-reliance.
I was doing some calculations as the cost of ownership of a Sailboat around here in Miami. I found that the price of a Sailboat is not the problem, but the cost of Mooring fees! for one Club I found it to be 3K and some change per year. A Catalina 22 looks very appealing to me. Has some Designs that I admire. Sorry bud, but if I do find an anchor that it works for me, I will share it with everyone, after all most of us are here to share knowledge. There is a profound feeling of accomplishment when I do help others. I presume most of the Forum members are here to share the same. Thanks for your comment.

Cheers

Old 14-11-2012, 23:25   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hey Thiago,

You started this thread, but you do NOT own it.

As in any forum (or any open discussion) - you get a mixture of information and opinions. We all do. Get used to.

Exercise patience and discourse skills here and you will have fewer adventures sailing places*

(*) Never try the 'unsubscribe!' attitude with Customs, Immigration, Health, Harbourmaster, Marina Office, Guardia Civil, Aduana, Policia Fiscal, Local Fishermen, Locally Established World Hobos, Air France ...

;-)

I hope you are getting my drift.

Hugs,
barnakiel
Yes you are right, I started the Thread and it seems I don't really owned it because I can't block or delete anything around here. I respectively disagree with you on turning someone away from this thread as not all of us receive the same respect that we give. What I ask I am willing to give, nothing more.

Old 15-11-2012, 00:42   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Tiago,

You might not know what at VERY pistol is. It is not a gun per se, but a pistol type device used for launching emergency flares. Because it looks like a large pistol and because it can be aimed (albeit not terribly accurately), it is classified as a gun by most authorities. This means you do need a weapons permit in most countries.

As I noted above, IF you have a bona fide permit, and IF you declare your VERY pistol when entering, you MIGHT be allowed to hang on to it. Some places it will be "held" by the authorities until you leave their waters.

As Skipmac said - think of the dirtiest nastiest stinking dungeon filled with really really nasty criminal types and think of authorities that have never heard of miranda rights and legal systems that have more or less only two punishments - life in prison (they do mean life) or the death penalty. DO NOT carry a gun.

The rest of your questions can be found in hundreds of threads here.

1- The best off-shore boat for under 25K - tough to find one in this price range. You might find the boat, but getting it ready for cruising will cost at least as much as the boat
2-Take Dramamine at least 24 hours before you leave. Keep taking it for at least three days
3- Craigs list, go to a large marina and look at the clubhouse bulletin board. Check the internet sites
4- I don't sail the carribean, but someone here can answer this
5- Generally you only need to pay for the gas - no extra fees
6- Passport, ownership of the boat papers, insurance, VHF permit (if you have one), crew list (and all their papers), Visa?
7- Yes you can register you boat in some other countries (why would you want to?)
8- You can have all the guns you want in international waters. Just throw them overboard before you sail into other territorial waters

So all your questions answered (except best time to sail)
Object propelling device is what we call it in the Army. True most of these objects propelling devices are close quarter tactics. Very good for short range reach for instance a spear fishing gun. Itís very risky caring a weapon on board, as most of the members say. The laws may contradict any weapons on board a vessel. Unfortunately there are two side of this coin that is very hard to balance. One is personal safety which is self explanatory, but there are other forces against protecting your own self and property and that is called Politics. Coming from an Infantry background I love my weapons. I have done some research about the ďSKINIESĒ or Somalia Pirates and there is no such different than

any other Middle Eastern tactics. AK47 regular Assault Rifle and Sniper versions are commonly used as RPG 7. AK 47 max effective range is 150 Meters! RPG Max Effective range is 50 Meters. Max Effective range of an AK 47 Sniper Rifle is 400-500 Meters. Keep in mind that these facts are on land not on water. Dramamine yes I remember going on a fishing boat to get used to motion sickness here in Miami. I got tell you I almost pass out from sleepiness. I also have heard Ginger is very good for motions sickness, but I havenít tried it yet. I have this Saturday off work. Iíll try to get in the same charter that I gone before just to see if it works. I have read of boat storage places around the area as well. Some people leave their boat there for so many years and donít really go out. Passport, Visa, Boat registration and Vaccine Records is what I have been reading.

All though Visa I believe if you can acquire before departure the better, but if not I think you need to go to the Harbor Master Office to Apply for one? Registering a boat in another country would be preferred for me, as I would be traveling with my cousin and I donít really have my entire Platoon with me when someone spots that American Flag on the boat. I donít know if you noticed, but an U.S Flag most of the times are not welcome by others in International waters. Since I have dual citizenship I can register in my country of Birth (Brazil), however if you wanna play the gringo in other countries go ahead, I am sure you will catch some unwanted attention.

Cheers
Old 15-11-2012, 00:58   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210 View Post
I would drop thinking about a firearm. Maybe do what some South Africans did to prevent carjacking? South African Car Flamethrower - YouTube
Awsome!!! If people are putting Flame Guns on cars in South Africa, things must really bad there. I wonder if I have to rent a Bullet Proof transport when going to a safari. . .LOL
Old 15-11-2012, 01:42   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Thiago,

All though Visa I believe if you can acquire before departure the better, but if not I think you need to go to the Harbor Master Office to Apply for one?

If you need a visa to go to a country, you need to get it before you leave. NO the harbour masters office cant issue them. you need the country's embassy or consular office

I think you need to learn a lot about international travel and sailing before think about going anywhere

Old 15-11-2012, 02:18   #96

I had an hour or so to waste so I read all the posts under this thread. It is remarkable that so many took this OP seriously. If he is real then he is clearly a young, ignorant , delusional individual who knows nothing about anything to do with boating [generally], sailing [particularly], geography or much of anything else.
In addition some of the responses posted are equally as ludicrous.
It would, at the very least, be interesting to know how this character, who is so obviously lacking in so many areas, proposes to finance his "Blue Lagoon" dreams.
I think he must have been putting us on from the outset and I do admit that this thread did provide a smile or two vis a' vis Iceland, Weapons, etc etc:
thumb:
Old 15-11-2012, 04:04   #97

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago1979 View Post
Awsome!!! If people are putting Flame Guns on cars in South Africa, things must really bad there. I wonder if I have to rent a Bullet Proof transport when going to a safari. . .LOL
Nah, just don't step out of your flamethrower equipped vehicle lol. Lions go for the throat and a bullet proof vest won't help I'm afraid.
Old 07-12-2012, 19:20   #98

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

If I can make one suggestion, it would be to cool your jets a little, and take some baby steps before going the whole enchilada. Yes, a slip can be expensive in places. There are two ways to deal with that. First, consider a trailer sailer. You should learn to sail in something small, anyway, and learn on lakes, bays, and sounds before trying to tackle oceans. And simply hauling the boat out of the water on its trailer and dragging it home behind your car or truck, and parking it in the driveway avoids the marina bill. The other way is to buy an old beater of a boat that you can live aboard, find a slip in a marina that allows liveaboards, and give up your house or apartment. Fixing up an old boat to the point where you can live dry and warm inside can be a learning experience. So can fixing it up enough to take it out for a day sail on the bay with a reasonable chance of returning to the dock on your own boat without need of rescue. An old boat will teach you a LOT. After a few years, upgrade to a more dependable ocean cruiser, and sell your old wreck to someone else who is in the same position that you find yourself in now. It is still a buyer's market out there. I live aboard my Cal 2-27, built in '76, a Katrina survivor with the scars to prove it, that I paid $2000 cash for, with a transferable slip in a good marina. If you are in the right place at the right time with a pocketful of cash, and have someone you can call to help you check it out who knows what to look for in lieu of a surveyor's report, you can find some good deals, whether you want a dock queen or a trailersitter. I suggest setting aside 10k for your first boat, and try to keep the purchase price down to a third of that amount. Trust me... the rest of the money will be absorbed by your new-to-you boat rather quickly. That's the nature of the beast, especially for a liveaboard. Keep your first forays into the water modest, and try to get someone with some experience and skill to go along with you in the beginning. That means you gotta not rub people the wrong way! Don't let your ego mess you up. A little humility goes a long way. Ever watch "Kung Fu", the TV series with David Carradine? A little before your time, but relevant. Young Caine spent a lot of time sweeping leaves in the temple courtyard before they started teaching him how to kick butt. The menial stuff is important, even if it is degrading. Try finding someone who needs help scraping his bottom (of his boat, in case you need clarification on that!) or sanding and varnishing, or overhauling his septic system, whatever. Cranky old unpleasant guys are actually the best teachers. Just remember to leave your ego at home.
Old 10-12-2012, 21:16   #99

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .

Cranky and not so cranky old ladies can be good teachers too, and do occasionally need assistance with ( boat ) bottom scraping. ;-) . I agree with the previous poster Growley, I loved the lessons Carradine ( aka grasshopper) learned in that show . You can learn a lot from old boats and doing the grunt work around boats in general.
Old 10-12-2012, 22:39   #100

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I must agree with duanecatman, there are some people on here today who can wax lyrical at great length on subjects of which they have minimal knowledge. Damn glad I wasn't this kids platoon officer, he's been watching to many movies or smoking something illegal.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

I can't believe this post is still going on!

Thiago, are you for real? There is more than enough good advice in this thread to be getting you started. Of course there is more to learn. There won't be a day in your life when there is nothing left to learn. But are you planning to keep this thread alive for your entire life while you slowly figure out the way to achieve (or not) your dreams?

As I said way back: Learn to Sail. Learn to Cruise. Learn to fix things. You do all of those primarily by DOING them, not be asking theoretical questions in a forum.

As duanecatman, Blue Crab, and many others also said, slow down! Take it one step at a time. Buy a boat. Learn to sail, learn to cruise and live aboard. Learn to fix things. Focus on STEP ONE. Only when you are doing that, will step two become clear.

Apart from entertainment value, what benefit is there in asking about the finer points of navigating to Iceland when you have never even sailed across the bay? Or about importing flare guns into foreign countries if you have never done a night passage along the coast?

Good to have a dream. I am all for that. But now it is time to make that dream come true. You say you're are going to do it, so do it. Come back and tell us when you have done your first overnight passage. Or completed your first month living aboard. And tell us what you have learned from the experience - without asking another bunch of questions.

I can't believe that you are there griping about the cost of marina fees in Miami! Welcome to the real world. In actual fact, $3k doesn't sound too bad - and, after all, is cheaper than the rent on where you currently live. But if you can't afford it, then either:
1) Don't do it, or
2) Find a way to earn the money, or
3) Find a way to do it more cheaply. Like what? Lots of options - but that is for you to figure out (many of them discussed at length throughout this forum), not for us to spoon feed you.

If you can't do either 2) or 3) then do 1).

As Blue Crab says, happiness is based in self-reliance. After all, what will you do if something happens mid-ocean and you can't access the Forum to ask yet another question?

Your big question was "how do I achieve my dream of sailing to blue lagoons". Well, that question has been excellently answered many times over in this thread (and in many other threads and books that, I presume, you have read).

In case you missed the message amid all the irrelevant other questions you have posed, here is the gist of it again:

1) Learn to sail
2) Learn to cruise and live aboard
3) Learn to fix things
4) Learn to figure out for yourself the things you don't already know.
5) Stop talking about it and go and do it.

'nuff said.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:16   #102

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

good post Lifepart2. So Thiago 1979. Put up or shut up.
Old 11-12-2012, 23:35   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just hopped in this thread and of course page 7 has a thorough discussion of various types of rifles, something every sailor has a need for.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
I can't believe this post is still going on!

Thiago, are you for real? There is more than enough good advice in this thread to be getting you started. Of course there is more to learn. There won't be a day in your life when there is nothing left to learn. But are you planning to keep this thread alive for your entire life while you slowly figure out the way to achieve (or not) your dreams?

As I said way back: Learn to Sail. Learn to Cruise. Learn to fix things. You do all of those primarily by DOING them, not be asking theoretical questions in a forum.

As duanecatman, Blue Crab, and many others also said, slow down! Take it one step at a time. Buy a boat. Learn to sail, learn to cruise and live aboard. Learn to fix things. Focus on STEP ONE. Only when you are doing that, will step two become clear.

Apart from entertainment value, what benefit is there in asking about the finer points of navigating to Iceland when you have never even sailed across the bay? Or about importing flare guns into foreign countries if you have never done a night passage along the coast?

Good to have a dream. I am all for that. But now it is time to make that dream come true. You say you're are going to do it, so do it. Come back and tell us when you have done your first overnight passage. Or completed your first month living aboard. And tell us what you have learned from the experience - without asking another bunch of questions.

I can't believe that you are there griping about the cost of marina fees in Miami! Welcome to the real world. In actual fact, $3k doesn't sound too bad - and, after all, is cheaper than the rent on where you currently live. But if you can't afford it, then either:
1) Don't do it, or
2) Find a way to earn the money, or
3) Find a way to do it more cheaply. Like what? Lots of options - but that is for you to figure out (many of them discussed at length throughout this forum), not for us to spoon feed you.

If you can't do either 2) or 3) then do 1).

As Blue Crab says, happiness is based in self-reliance. After all, what will you do if something happens mid-ocean and you can't access the Forum to ask yet another question?

Your big question was "how do I achieve my dream of sailing to blue lagoons". Well, that question has been excellently answered many times over in this thread (and in many other threads and books that, I presume, you have read).

In case you missed the message amid all the irrelevant other questions you have posed, here is the gist of it again:

1) Learn to sail
2) Learn to cruise and live aboard
3) Learn to fix things
4) Learn to figure out for yourself the things you don't already know.
5) Stop talking about it and go and do it.

'nuff said.
ah Noel you cynic, how can you speak so harshly to a young man who probably has never had to do anything by himself? Everyone is spoon fed by society today. And if you can't do exactly what you want, when you want, without any effort on your own part - well that is also the fault of the society, and if you get a lawyer, you can sue for a few million.

The fact that you happen to be right has absolutely nothing to do with anything on this thread.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30   #105

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

The first thing you should do is just go out sailing as a crew member on someone else's boat. Spend at least a week at sea. Then if you still like it you can proceed from there. It's not all "blue lagoon". Reality can be quite sucky at times when on a boat.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: