Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2014, 11:49   #1

Help! How do I get there?

We recently upgraded and moved from a large interior Texas lake to the Clear Lake / Kemah area. We did so because we wanted a bigger boat and, thus, bigger water.

Now that we've made the move, I need some insight on how to learn to actually go places. I have a very basic understanding of shipping channels and such, but how does one go about actually planning a 1-2 day trip?

For instance, if I wanted to go from Kemah to Galveston, how do I actually map that out (aside from pulling out a paper chart and looking at the stars).

Our boat has a decent chart plotter.

Thanks for helping this newbie.
kaw1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 12:13   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Help! How do I get there?

Go under the bridge, stay on the same course until you get to the ship channel. Hang a right and stay to the edges.

You will likely see dolphins around pelican cut.
Old 30-05-2014, 12:15   #3

How do you know when you get to Pelican cut?
kaw1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 12:16   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

You see dolphins, apparently.
Old 30-05-2014, 12:16   #5

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Your chartplotter should have the same markings as a paper chart would, so the first step is to familiarize yourself with what they all mean. Is it deep enough for you to stay outside of the shipping the channels and/or criss cross the shipping channels as you tack? What landmarks will you be looking for as cruise along the coast?

Is the area clear enough for you to go out the channel and turn right?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 12:21   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1085 View Post
How do you know when you get to Pelican cut?
You answered that question yourself in your first post.
Quote:
Pull out the chartplotter's manual and look it over so you can understand what it can do for you on the water. Download one from the manufacturer's website if you can't find it.

It would be a great idea to take a coastal navigation course. The US Power Squadron and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary offer really good ones. You'll learn what you need to know to find your way around and will then be able to go out and practice what you learned in the classroom.

Welcome to CF.
Old 30-05-2014, 12:24   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1085 View Post
We recently upgraded and moved from a large interior Texas lake to the Clear Lake / Kemah area. We did so because we wanted a bigger boat and, thus, bigger water.

Now that we've made the move, I need some insight on how to learn to actually go places. I have a very basic understanding of shipping channels and such, but how does one go about actually planning a 1-2 day trip?

For instance, if I wanted to go from Kemah to Galveston, how do I actually map that out (aside from pulling out a paper chart and looking at the stars).

Thanks for helping this newbie.
First off make sure your ground tackle is up to the job. Then look at a chart (electronic or paper) and try and find anchoring spots, or mooring, or docking unless you will be sailing the entire time. Try and estimate how fast your boat goes and how far it is from anchorage to anchorage. If you don't want to sail after dark make sure you can get from anchorage to anchorage in the daylight.

You should look for things like how deep/shallow the anchorage is and how well it is protected from wind.

Hope this helps.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 17:57   #8

Boat: Mariner 36

"It would be a great idea to take a coastal navigation course. The US Power Squadron and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary offer really good ones. You'll learn what you need to know to find your way around and will then be able to go out and practice what you learned in the classroom."

^ That is how you take the first step to get there.
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote