Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2006, 17:06   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
But then again since the boat I want is in Canada I guess I would start there.
Interesting..of all the locations to procure a boat.. you chose Canada. What type of vessel?
CanuckBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 20:13   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
The boat I bought is a Sceptre 41. It is a cutter rigged raised saloon pilothouse. Haven't had much of a chance to sail it though.

Welcome to the forum Canukboater. Where do you hail from and what kind of boat do you have?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46   #18

I thought I might revive this thread and see if anyone had any new ideas (I do) or wanted to share there plans goals dreams.

Currently the boat is lying in Astoria OR. I plan to bring it down the coast in May to SF. From there I will bring it to SD and do the Baja Ha Ha. Then the kids and wife will fly home and I will head out to La Paz and leave the boat there until the end of the kids soccer season. From there we will cruise Mexico for 3 months and then -- we'll have to see. I still like the idea of going to the Med but wiht the Euro so strong I think I might spend some time on the East Coast and the Carribean. Eventually the dollar should perc up and then off we go. There isn't a lack of places. There is a lack of time and money.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 08-04-2008, 11:09   #19

Options for time and money.

heyla Charlie!

Your plan sound pretty good from where I'm sitting. I'm not as thrilled at the idea of heading east through the Gulf; I tend to prefer downwind and down stream, even though I know it is done the other direction all the time.

Were I on the west coast of Mexico, and wanting to go to Europe... I'd look at the dollars and sense of trucking the boat to east coast Canada vs how much time and money sailing it there. Or hoist it aboard a freighter heading to the EU. Heck, I'd see if they have a stateroom on the freighter for that matter! probably cheaper than flying over, and certainly cheaper than sailing the boat there (when adding in the cost of wear&tear, gear failures, food, time...)

On the third hand, Taking a boat across the Pacific in jumps, hauling it out and flying home between, could be a nice leisurely cruise over several years. You might also find it's easier to stretch that cruising kitty when you spend more than a couple days between landfalls. Reasonably well equipped, your boat could make the EU in about 160-200 days westabout. If you cut that up into 3 month chunks, that's three long cruises.

My personal choice would likely be to go to west Mexico, out to Hawai'i, back to the PNW. Rinse, lather, repeat two or three times. Then sell the boat and fly to exotic places and charter someone else's newish boat.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Charlie if you want to have fun sailing. Plan the trip around the kid's needs. Which is getting off the boat, and exploring. Ton of that to do between Ore. and SD. Once they meet up with other kids in the Baja. They will forget about soccer season. Take other kids along on your boat, and then give your kids to the other boat.

I use to have the deepest desire to sail the South Pacific. Sailing through the Bahamas has put that desire on hold. I will eventually do it, and this is how. Leave Florida going east to 65W* then turning south. I want to start in St. Maarten where I bought the boat. Head down to Trinidad exploring the islands along the way.

From Trinidad go west, and explore along the way to the Canal. From the Canal to Hawaii, and home to S.F. Refit the boat, and do another Baja Haha, class of 93. Head south exploring to the canal, and then Galapagos. From there the South Pacific will be waiting for me finally. See everything I can until I reach the Philippines to my retirement home. Then I have 6 months of the year to explore 7100 islands in the country of my wife. That should just about finish me off!!!!!!! If not then who knows?????????
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:27   #21

I can understand the shipping the boat to Europe idea but I like to see the different spots along the way. I also want to go thru the Panama Canal. Not sure why but just do. From there I can see going to lots of different spots before making the Med.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 08-04-2008, 11:34   #22
Eternal Member

Charlie,

JUST FOR THE EXPERIENCE. Going through the locks has got to be a great experience. The history, the engineering, and the little paper you get. Makes perfect sense to me. Then again my friends think I am crazy:cubalibre
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42   #23

Canal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I can understand the shipping the boat to Europe idea but I like to see the different spots along the way. I also want to go thru the Panama Canal. Not sure why but just do. From there I can see going to lots of different spots before making the Med.

If you just want to see the canal, go to either end and offer to be a volunteer line handler! I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunities to go back and forth. Not a bad idea to do before you take your own vessel through anyway. There's a railroad you can take back too, or as a sight-seeing trip all its own, and worth it just for that.

As for shipping the boat... if you have a limited time budget, you have to decide which you'd rather see more - the places on the way, or the goal region. If the journey is the point, then it doesn't matter if you're going to Europe or not; let the wind and seasons determine your itinerary. If the goal is more important, there are as many great places to gunkhole there as there are along the way and you might as well do it there. Somewhere in between? maybe you should let your budget decide which will get you the biggest bang for you buck.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:07   #24

AM:
I want to take my boat thru the canal. I want to visit relatives in El Salvador and if I'm that close I might as well go thru the canal. I want to sail the Carribean

I2F:
I've seen posted that you lived in California SF area. I'm fourth generation from SF. You know what they say. Why is California like granola? B/c once you get rid of the fruits and the flakes all you have left is the nuts.

Amgine & I2F What are your plans? Where would you head if the stars were all lined up.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22   #25

Oest...

I'd head west by the sailing trade route - From Juan de Fuca Strait south to about SF, then SW to Hawai'i, then just a bit south of that and west again... probably westabout south of Africa, then up the middle of the Atlantic, staying in the trade routes, to Europe. Then back south, cross the Atlantic to the Carribean, and up the east coast of North America.

And if I'm still game, south to the Carrib, west to the Canal, Hawai'i, north over the high to the PNW.

The sad thing is I don't have any particular goals. I just want to sail long stretches in warm waters. I have some places to avoid, but no specific places to go to other than general regions friends have said I mustn't miss: the islands on Sweden's east coast, the Carrol islands, Bras d'Or and the St Lawrence, the north coast of South America...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:42   #26
Eternal Member

Charlie,
I am at post #20 for a desription. I use to live on Twin Peaks, on Jones between the cable cars.....Washington & ?. Threw darts years ago out in the Avenues. Owned a shop on Bush & Polk. Born in Oakland, and had my last shop there. Also worked at a shop in Mill Valley next to Whole Foods.

No matter what people say about the Bay Area, especially S.F. I miss the diversity. Although I did find South Beach a very tropical S.F., and a lot of fun.
Old 08-04-2008, 14:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Charlie,
I am at post #20 for a desription. I use to live on Twin Peaks, on Jones between the cable cars.....Washington & ?. Threw darts years ago out in the Avenues. Owned a shop on Bush & Polk. Born in Oakland, and had my last shop there. Also worked at a shop in Mill Valley next to Whole Foods.

No matter what people say about the Bay Area, especially S.F. I miss the diversity. Although I did find South Beach a very tropical S.F., and a lot of fun.
Grew up in the Avenues, Family had an apartment building that we recently sold about nine blocks from your shop on Polk between Union and Filbert. I probably drove by your shop more than once. Wasn't Brownies hardware on the corner of Bush Street or was that Pine?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 27-08-2008, 10:25   #28

Boat: in between
Mission and Sunset

...all Irish immigrants from before 1906. I'm the first one to be born out of the city (on an Air Force base).

Living Portland now, which mom and pop both say reminds them of SF when they grew up in the 40s, 50s. My wife and I are buying a pocket cruiser now with the goal of something bigger 5 years out. Hopefully our we'll raise our level of seamanship to make our dream trip from Stumptown, down the West Coast, through the Canal and over to St Maarten, where my wife intends to live her life naked.
goshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:39   #29

Sounds like a good plan. Ever go to Pat O'Shea's in SF. Their motto"We cheat Tourists and Drunks."

"Where my wife inteneds to live life naked" Send Pix. LOL just kiddin'

Good luck with your plan.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 27-08-2008, 11:20   #30

Boat: in between
Here she is on her last trip to St. Maarten:

Who knew the tri-color had such substance behind it?
goshea is offline   Reply With Quote