Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2007, 10:30   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Florida to Durban (South Africa)

Hi all, having just got one of those annoying little messages telling me I havent posted for some time, I thought I should ask for comments on the best routing and timing for a trip from Florida to South Africa (Durban).

The timing is flexible but envisaged to start late Summer: in which case I'd do a dirty dash South (watching for Tropical Development) until about 12deg North - breathe a sigh of relief and then start the crossing. Question is, I suppose, do you get South of the ITCZ early then go down the African coast (not literally) or do you stay on the South American side until lower Brazil before going across?

Then of course one has the couple of thousand miles from the Cape to Durban but I'll worry about that later - unless anyone has any useful weather commentws for that region?"

best for now, Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 11:32   #2
Bob

Some info for you from HERE

"I reckon that the best time to leave from Texas would be around now (Dec) - the end of the Cyclone season in the Atlantic, and to round the Cape in our Summer.

One can't sail a direct route, as you would be against a strong current and little wind off the North Coast of South America. The suggestion from the "Ocean Passages of the World, Sailing Routes" is in three "loops":
1) Towards the Azores;
2) In about Mid Ocean, SW towards Brazil.
3) Around the latitude of Rio, but around 1000 miles out, another loop to aprox 38 South, thence to Cape Town.

A pretty long sail! Have you considered the Pacific?

With Regards,
Tony"

I suggest you contact Tony Herrick Direct for more info.

Good luck.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:14   #3

Boat: 31' Muira - Hoplite
SA Coastline

Hi BVImatelot

The coastline between Cape Town and Durban isn't the happiest of playgrounds. Try and avoid cruising in this area in the southern hemisphere winter, when cold fronts / lows ravage the coast. It can be tricky to catch a suitable weather window, unless of course you don't mind to play around Cape Town or are up to rough waters. Your predominant south westerlies raises the wave action from norteasterly swells in the Aghullas current, making life very uncomfortable. If caught out in a storm, you're restricted in the number of safe harbours or bays available - the stretch between East London and Durban is particularly dangerous.

If you'd like more detailed info on the SA coastline (yacht clubs, anchorages, local conditions, weather, people), feel free to e-mail us at sailinghoplite@yahoo.com

hoplites is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, florida, South Africa