Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2013, 19:33   #16

Re: First Passage - Panama City to Tarpon Springs June 2013

[QUOTE=CTMCDL;1142499][QUOTE=MalibuC;
....old salts out there in "Cruisers Forum" land.

I want to echo the weather comments and the coast hoping thoughts from CAPNGEO. I have often been reminded that old salts don't fight the elements or the odds, but look for the safe, sometimes the longer way around. Hence they survive to be old salts. Even in a spring passage on the Gulf, expect and plan for squalls. Don't be surprised by a stiff easterly land breeze a few hours after sunset.

The passage from Mobile to Pensacola is an all day affair at 5kn (80+nm). The hops to Ft Walton & on to PC are similar. Give some thought to the trade-offs of coast hopping to Appalachacola or Steinhatchee before heading south. May take a few more days, but could be less weather/crew stress....[/QUOTE]

To quote the "Uneasy Rider" I may wanna re-route my trip. While eager to venture away from the coast to get some deep water time under my belt may not be best for this trip. A longer trip with more stops along the way is not a worst alternative in the world.
MalibuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 20:15   #17

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Re: First Passage - Panama City to Tarpon Springs June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuC View Post
I will take it from the lack of eloboration that these may not be spots to go out of my way for. Definately not interested in crowds in a narrow, shallow channel/river.
Most of the crowd is in Kings Bay, near Pete's Pier. Everyone wants to see the Manatees, so their are about a dozen tour boats, and plenty of kayakers. But Kings Bay is big enough, its not hard to get around.

When I made my jumps down to KW, I started in St marks, then Crystal River, then Tarpon Springs, then Clearwater, then Pass-a-Grille, then Sarasota, then Venice, then Boca Grande (Pelican bay), then Marco, then Marathon, then Key West. Only took me 2 months

If ya hit Tarpon Springs at night, there is decent anchoring at Anclote Key sandbar on the north end of the island. Grassy Mud bottom, and protection from the west, northwest, southwest winds.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 07:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post

Most of the crowd is in Kings Bay, near Pete's Pier. Everyone wants to see the Manatees, so their are about a dozen tour boats, and plenty of kayakers. But Kings Bay is big enough, its not hard to get around.

When I made my jumps down to KW, I started in St marks, then Crystal River, then Tarpon Springs, then Clearwater, then Pass-a-Grille, then Sarasota, then Venice, then Boca Grande (Pelican bay), then Marco, then Marathon, then Key West. Only took me 2 months

If ya hit Tarpon Springs at night, there is decent anchoring at Anclote Key sandbar on the north end of the island. Grassy Mud bottom, and protection from the west, northwest, southwest winds.
I am reconsidering and taking a similar route, at least to Tarpon Springs. I'm concerned that I may wind in my face if I take the heading from the east end of Cape San Blas directly to Tarpon Springs. I am still inclined to take the roughly 150 NM jump across the Gulf on the way back as I have plenty of time to wait for a nice window of weather for the return trip. Thanks for all the info.
MalibuC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, passage