Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 23:10   #1

First Adventure ...

Helle everyone,

I have had a bug for a new adventure for several years. I have finally decided to start the process of preperation but i'm still in the very begining stages. I'm very young but have always wanted to go on a self guide trip from texas to alaska but i'm going to spend a few years doing some research before attempting this endevore. I have been researching boats and styles and plan on building my own but still haven't decided on which one i want. Does anyone have any advice for someone new?
silversparrow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:26   #2

Also wondering where to buy good navi maps.
silversparrow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:36   #3

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: First Adventure ...

First, welcome to the Forum.

Second, don't ever build your own boat! The average time it takes some one to build and complete a boat is 7 years. Most projects never get finished and you can see partially completed and forgotten hulls in backyards across the country. This advice is especially true if you are new to sailing.

I would suggest you get out on the water first by crewing for other people. Join a club. Take lessons. See if the reality matches your fantasy. Sailing is a great sport/pasttime/way of life for some but it isn't for everyone.

If you really like working with your hands then cruising will surely be to your taste because you spend half your time in exotic places fixing things on the damn boat!

Save your money and your time to buy a beat up old classic plastic 24 footer or so and get out on the water sooner.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 23-03-2012, 09:08   #4

I can't imagine that you would save anything by building your own boat!
Jacob217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, silversparrow69, and Jacob217.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:32   #6

Boat: Haida 26

Bulding your own boat is a very big undertaking. Although I have done this myself. What everyone say's here is true. But, if you want to build your own it has many advantages over buying some ones junk or problem. My opinion on this is to figure out what it will cost and time, then double the figures. Don't build more than you need, big is not better, just a lot more time & money. Some take great pride in their project and can be very rewarding.

On the Texas to Alaska project, I would advise a mono hull, as the Pacific can be very interesting place to sail. It's the biggest body of water in the world. You can have flat sea's w/ heavy fog one day and 50 >knts storm the next. Do alot of research on your design. ..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 11:18   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Texas to Alaska methinks why not in a van? You will spend less, you will see more. I am not sure how much prep is required but I would just get a van, fill up the tank and go. Also, easier to sell a van than to sell a boat; so, if you do not like it, you sell the bundle and off to the next best thing you go.

Seen many over-prepped adventures that got stuck on the over-prepping stage. Some took off only to find they lost the view while prepping. So to say, preparation is vital but should not be overrated, overbudgeted nor overscheduled.

All the best. Keep on dreaming and jump into it as soon as you keep all the strings in your hands.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 11:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
First, welcome to the Forum.

Second, don't ever build your own boat! The average time it takes some one to build and complete a boat is 7 years. Most projects never get finished and you can see partially completed and forgotten hulls in backyards across the country. This advice is especially true if you are new to sailing.

I would suggest you get out on the water first by crewing for other people. Join a club. Take lessons. See if the reality matches your fantasy. Sailing is a great sport/pasttime/way of life for some but it isn't for everyone.

If you really like working with your hands then cruising will surely be to your taste because you spend half your time in exotic places fixing things on the damn boat!

Save your money and your time to buy a beat up old classic plastic 24 footer or so and get out on the water sooner.

Good luck.

Dhillen
I agree. I built two in my younger years. They cost as much as if I'd bought one in the first place. You might as well make payments and be sailing...now!
Even more, there are amazing bargains on boats right now. For instance: I've been toying with getting a smaller boat to use here locally. There was a Catalina 27 on Craig's list with a recent new volvo diesel engine. Starting price was $6500. The owner need to sell as he was moving away. Eventually after discussions he offerred it to me for $2500. I just couldnt get myself to go and do it as I've been busy. I found out this am... he GAVE IT AWAY and is now in Kansas. Arghhh! You snooze you loose! Less popular boats are worth next to nothing right now if the person cant make the moorage payments.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:02   #9

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Perhaps you should learn to sail first. It is not for everyone.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote