Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2008, 17:17   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Enough's Enough - I Can't Stand No More

Was it Popeye who used to say that. I've been trying to gt the boat ready to leave on the Baja Ha Ha on )ct 27th. Well I had to throw in the towel today. My crew called in the morning and said he couldn't do it. I still have the two kids and the admiral but we've just decided that we can't do it this year. There are too many boat projects to do and well uh . . . quite frankly this credit crisis has my knickers in a twist.

We've decided to change our time frame. I now have 13 months to go till the Baja Ha Ha. Since I already have crew to go to San Diego I'll keep them and instead of bringing the boat downa at delivery speed we'll take our time and just go as far as Santa Barbra. From there the Admiral will meet me with the kids and we'll cruise the Channel Islands Catalina, Newport, Oceanside, and then take the boat to SD. I have some work that will take me to SD for the next few months so I'll have the boat to stay on instead of getting a hotel. Instead of cruising Mexico for a couple of months we'll cruise So Cal for the month of April and maybe go into Mexico. It's not as great an adventure as going to Mexico but at least the trip isn't completely cancelled.

I'm not sure if I am disappointed or relieved.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 18:53   #2

Boat: 44 footer
Charlie,

I know the feeling! (And also suffering from a knicker twist...)

Was planning to be out of here this fall, but decided to spend a few more months working on some savings. (Which delays moving on to the boat for a while/finishing up some projects...)

I think a lot of folks out there are holding their breath waiting to see which way the world is going to go.

Have fun with your abbreviated tour!

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 20:06   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Charlie… you just decided to stop fighting the current and…. “go with the flow”….. That is what being a sailor is all about…..the freedom to change your mind and rationalize the reason that best suits you.

Sounds like you have it all figured out!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 21:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hi Charlie,
I'm sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to hearing about your experiences doing the Ha Ha.

Take Care

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 22:01   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Was it Popeye who used to say that.

<snip>

We've decided to change our time frame. I now have 13 months to go till the Baja Ha Ha.

<snip>

I'm not sure if I am disappointed or relieved.
"I've had all that I cain stands and I cain't stands no more... "

Getthere-itis kills more people than any other disease known to man.

Good call. We were pressuring ourselves for a South China Sea trip and once we backed off the goal we felt a lot better.

Your revised cruising plans sound like a lot of fun in their own right!

My kid still remembers camping in teh back yard like it was south american expedition (well almost)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 06:42   #6

Thanks for the all the kind comments. One of the things that people say about the Baja Ha Ha is that it forces you to set a date. I can see where that would be a good thing. OTOH it can force you into some bad decisions(thanks Pelagic).

Having the boat in So Cal for the summer will be fun. (like you say Ex Calif it will be like camping in the backyard) Then I can bring the boat back to the Bay Area and work on the projects that I want to have done and this time next year be ready for the Baja Ha Ha.Sure feels like a pretty big weight has been lifted off of my shoulder.

Then there is this big economic thing. Like Zach I'll have time to save up more money so that I can sail further South. Where to put that money? Well that is a different question.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-09-2008, 07:47   #7

Quote:
big economic thing
Well, no, it's not really that big once you're no longer in first-world countries. Rice is still rice, diesel is diesel, and as long as you stay away from currency you'll be fine. Most of us don't want to do that, stay away from currency I mean, because our idea of cruising is inextricably tied to marinas, hotel rooms, airports, and so on.

Still, the time to reef is before you start wondering if you oughtta reef. Better to be cautious, listen to your hunches. because that's a big part of being a responsible skipper.

Sorry to hear you're postponing the big trip, happy to hear you're planning trips in California waters that sailors all over the world dream of cruising to someday.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 08:12   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Charlie,

Rome wasn't built in a day, and if your not ready, and it is a concern. Then your simply not ready. The Baja Haha will be just as fun next year. Maybe even more fun since you will really be ready........BEST WISHES Charlie....you made the right choice for you, and yours. Nothing wrong with being disappointed, and relieved at the same time............
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 08:48   #9

Boat: 44 footer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Then there is this big economic thing. Like Zach I'll have time to save up more money so that I can sail further South. Where to put that money? Well that is a different question.
Boat parts and stores of course.

I've decided that purchasing power is only as good as what it'll buy. If I can't make interest that keeps up with inflation, I'll go ahead and get what needs getting for the adventure, and figure it costs less today than it will next year dollar for dollar.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:41   #10

Amgine:
The economic thing isn't killing me but it defintley has an effect. Instead of doing the Nordstrom cruise to Mexico I'm doing the Target cruise to So Cal. I hope I don't have to do the Kmart cruise someday.

I2F: Maybe the German's have a word for the feeling of disappointment and releif but it is a very strange feeling. Thanks for affirming my descion. I know it is the right thing to do but not as exciting as going on the Baja Ha Ha.

Zach:
If I didn't have a family to worry about I probably would out all my money into boat stores and parts. I have to get the kids thu college though.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 16-06-2009, 08:44   #11

Baha Haha

Charlie, was led to the old thread and wondered how the Socal excursion was?

Are you still planning to do the 09 Haha?
Ramblin' is offline   Reply With Quote