Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2005, 00:43   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
East Coast of Australia

Are there peoples here located East Coast Aus? I would appreciate any comments about marinas in the Hawkesbury River area - we want to take our little gaffer there for the summer of 05/06, and because it is only a little gaffer, we will need to have access to showers and water etc on shore. Are there marinas offering liveaboard services in the area?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff
Bugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 16:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
From memory there are a number of marinas on the Hawkesbury River and in Pittwater.
A quick search on the internet turned up:
http://www.brooklynmarina.com.au/
http://www.dalboramarinas.com.au/bays/akuna-fac.html
I'm sure that there are many more.
There are also many parks on Pittwater, Broken Bay and the Hawesbury river that will have toilets and possibly showers.
Some of the waterfront hotels will also have facilities.
The area is very popular for just the activity that you have in mind so I am sure that you will have no wories.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 16:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I should have added that there are so many beautiful protected anchorages with good holding in the area that most do not stay in a marina.
The facilities are only a few minutes from the anchorages (from memory).
In my younger days we didn't worry about showers!
Information on anchorages is available from the yacht hire people.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 00:17   #4

Have you had a look at the maps provided by NSW Maritime Services http://www.afloat.com.au/www/79/1001...e/1005060.html
Paul
boredinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 02:21   #5

Updated

We now have an offer on the house, subject to finance. The deposit has been paid. We will know in about 3 days if finance is approved and if so, we will have only the boat for living quarters from the end of January. She is on the hard at the moment, getting new paint and a few improvements including built in water. The next time she hits the water should be at Noakes' boat yard, North Sydney, some time in the middle of January. Lelia finishes work tomorrow, I finished a month ago, so everything is falling into place.

JR

Old 14-12-2005, 01:55   #6

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Jeff, you may need to consider clearance for the Brooklyn Marina (link above). It is located between the road bridge and rail bridge, so you need to go under the rail bridge. From Bluechart:

"HAWKESBURY RAILWAY BRIDGE
The two largest spans have a horizontal clearance of 128m; the nearest to the South Bank is recommended for navigation. The four centre spans have a horizontal clearance of 98m and the maximum vertical clearance overall is 11.4m."

Another one nearby is Hawkesbury River marina - right at the train station, and on the bluewater side of both bridges. I note they have showers, and very convenient to transport, but trains are noisy.

http://www.bia.org.au/member/HR-Marina/

However, you may find the areas around Avalon, Newport and Bayview more appealing. A search for marinas on Yellow Pages turns up quite a few. Sorry I am not familiar with their services and facilities.
Old 14-12-2005, 11:21   #7

Thanks Steve. Since my first note, I have been making a few calls, and Noakes seemed most interested to help.

The railway bridge will not be a problem because our air draft is only about 7.5 metres - we hope to cruise the river as far as Windsor. I recently bought and am now digesting the book Cruising Guide to the Hawksbury River. It has lots of useful information although it is not really a guide to services along the river. Alan Lucas also deals with the river as far as Windsor. Between Sydney and Broken Bay/Hawksbury, we expect to be able to amuse ourselves for summer! Perhaps we'll see you on the water.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 08-12-2010, 12:55   #8

Pittwater

I sail on Pittwater every week
There are always spare moorings at 'The Basin' a popular camping spot
The facilities there are good, but the showers are cold.
Good BBQ's & campfire areas
I run a sailing program for street kids & disabled groups & never tire of taking people there
Regards
Alan
poetalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:31   #9

Re: East Coast of Australia?

Hawkesbury R is a magical cruising ground! Deep water, few shoals, and a short day-sail to Sydney Harbour. You'll love it!
Regarding showers, get yourself a 1-litre pump-up spray bottle, you can have a full shower, including hair-wash with 1 litre of water!
I cruised the E Coast (Oz) for 10 years, and this was my shower, when I couldn't find a creek or waterfall nearby.
Be sure to explore kuringai national park, you'll find ancient rock-carvings scattered about, see koalas in the wild, and find isolated, picturesque anchorages. All within 20 miles of Australia's biggest city.
And, when you're finished with Hawkesbury, you can sail, in day-sail hops, all the way up to the Witsundays, surely the best cruising-ground in the World!
Devo49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, east coast