Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2009, 02:28   #1

Do Any of You Folks 'Round the Horn?

Or at least duck in to Magellan strait, when circumnavigating?

I have been through Magellan cruising from Punta Arenas, Chile to Ushuia on the Argentina side. I took a cruise on the Rotterdam a few year ago. After Ushuia we went out to the horn itself then around the Falklands and eventually up the Rio Plata to Buenas Aires, and points onward.

We spent a day at the Ushuia port and I did notice 4 or 5 well worn looking cruising sail boats, a couple which looked to be thirty feet. I just would like to hear stories from people like these.

We were there around Mid-December and the weather thru the straits was calm as glass. The weather leaving the Horn onto the Falklands was a little rough with seas up to twenty feet but usually around ten. The approach from Puerto Mott, Chile to Punta Arenas was around 6 - 10 feet most of the way.

I would enjoy hearing from people who did this crossing in a cruising sailboat, I do know that there are some cruisers out there who sail this each year.
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 19:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Yes it is a normal cruising destination now. But not an easy one. Takes a good boat, good weather awareness, i.a..

My friends did it commercially (charter) all last summer. They say it is a real pain in the stern when you have to do it to a time line. This summer they will be in Norway.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 00:17   #3

yeah it was the last place in the world to see well worn 35 to 45 looking sailboats in a harbor. I should ha^e went down and talked to them, rather than hung out at the "Che Gua^ara cafe" (RECOMMENDED)... (my letter between w and u dont work right now).... Fuggin' nice harbor down there thoug... Ushuia. Arg.
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote