Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2011, 20:53   #1

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
Destin, Florida

Guys...next week taking my girlfriend "who is a land lubber " on her first sail trip. We are going to destin Florida and I want to stop over at the perfect place possible...close to beach and nightlife. I know that's hard considering its off season but really want to make it special so any advice is welcome
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:24   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Re: Destin, Florida

If you are going outside in the Gulf to Destin you should be aware that the entrance channel shifts and entering at low tide will likely require local knowledge as the channel markers may or may not be quite accurate. Hail a local on VHF. Lots of sport fishing boats around that should respond. Also remember that the bridge at the entrance to Choctawhatchee Bay is immediately past the small entrance into Destin Harbor. Check your charts but I think the bridge is only about 45 foot clearance. If your mast is short enough to take the ICW from Pensacola then you likely would not have a problem clearing the fore mentioned bridge. You may want to check out Pensacola for town type things to do. A very good anchorage with beautiful undeveloped beaches is at Big Lagoon, immediately east of Pensacola Pass. It is on the easternmost part of Perdido Key and is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida