Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2014, 18:38   #1

DC to Delaware

Has anyone sailed from DC to Delaware? I am looking to see how long he trip takes, any major issues. Plan is pretty simple head down potomac, to Chesapeake, turn north follow the coast.
Carrierjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:01   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: DC to Delaware

Where in Delaware do you want to end up. A safer and easier route might be up the Chesapeake and through the C&D canal which exits at the Delaware River just south of Delaware City. From there you can go north to Wilmington or south to Lewes at the Cape.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Where in Delaware do you want to end up. A safer and easier route might be up the Chesapeake and through the C&D canal which exits at the Delaware River just south of Delaware City. From there you can go north to Wilmington or south to Lewes at the Cape.

David
What is this C&D canal you speak of? I will check this route out. Thanks. We are going to Dover for some music fest
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17   #4

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

The C & D Canal goes east from near the north end of the Chesapeake Bay to the Delaware River. Very visible on Google Earth. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Go to activecaptain.com and sign up. It is free. Then you can see the navigation charts where you want to go and the marinas when you get there. There is only one marina (sort of, more like a repair yard) near Dover. The C&D canal is the far better route from DC to get you there.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I'm guessing it's about 250 nm if you go up the Bay to the C&D Canal and then down to the Dover area. You didn't mention what boat you have, or what you expect your average speed to be. Divide 250 by your average speed in knots and you'll have a time estimate.

If you plan to sail, you'll need to take into account the fact that the Potomac River is fairly narrow and has many twists and turns until you get past the Rt 301 bridge, so expect to do a bit of motoring. In the summer, the prevailing winds in the Chesapeake tend to be from the SE or S, so heading north up the Bay should be a good route.

Where will you come ashore near Dover? Can you get up the Leipsic River, or go into Bowers Beach? There's no deep water access to Dover proper that I know of, so you'll need to arrange for a ride to town.
Old 08-06-2014, 17:39   #7

I get about 4-6 knots on my Macgregor, wind dependent. I sail down the river a few times, and I have had to motor around the bend. However after 301, the sailing is pretty damn good.