Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 13:31   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My experience with C&I in the BVI was that they will only grant a 24 hour grace period after clearing out. So, if you want to clear in and out at the same time, you have to leave withing 24 hours. I've asked and been told that several times, mostly at Spanish Town.

Rubikoop is correct in saying that, according to the law, you should clear in at Cruz Bay before mooring or anchoring anywhere in the USVI. That being said, I don't know if they enforce it, nor what their actual response would be if you stopped at Great Lamshur or somewhere to snorkel on the way to Cruz. You could play dumb. I confess to slipping over to Waterlemon Cay from the BVI for some snorkeling and overnight without clearing out/in, and I'm still here to talk about it . I don't know if they patrol and check your "papers" in the USVI. I've read that they are doing so now in the BVI. They're pretty strict there, so don't fool around.

I did have this experience with CBP in Cruz Bay...We made an overnight passage from Marigot, St. Martin, to St. John. We picked up a mooring in Caneel Bay at 11 am. I took a shower, shaved, and had a quick sandwich before dinghying around to the CPB office, arriving at about 12:30. The officer asked me when I had arrived, and I told him. He told me very emphatically that I should have come to CPB immediately upon arrival. I countered that to come into his office unwashed and unshaven would be disrespectful to him and his colleagues. He laughed and processed me in.

BTW, everyone in the boat must report to the U.S. CPB to "be inspected", as they put it. On every other island, they want everyone but the skipper to stay on the boat while the skipper comes ashore to do the paperwork.
Old 12-01-2009, 14:10   #17

I second the opionion that Nanny Cay is a less preferential anchorage in terms of beauty/stuff to do/etc. I would consider provisioning at Soper's as planned, then head over to Norman via the Indians. Explore Tortola while moored in Trellis Bay/ Marina Cay. From Trellis, stop by the Baths on the way to North Sound, or just rent a car on Virgin Gorda. North Sound should not be missed. The sail from North Sound to Jost is perhaps my favorite--nice fast beam reach. You'll also enjoy a downwind sail back to St Thomas. So much to see, so little time. Check out Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands for lots of good advice.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands