Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2007, 19:20   #16

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Sarasota to Chicago

Six months after last posting on this particular topic (River trip). We are two weeks away from taking our Gulfstar Hirsh 45 from Sarasota to Chicago. We will sail to Mobile, take down the mast, and begin the river trip. I have all the electronic charts, and paper charts for the Gulf, but none yet for the rivers. Does anyone know of a resource for used charts?

We will be leaving Sarasota about June 13. The hurricane season will have officially begun. If anyone has any suggestions for good protected anchorages or places we can head for while we make our way to Mobile, if storms are predicted, we would love the advice. We have spent time in the panhandle and can think of a few places there but are not famililiar with much too far west of Penscaola. We will probably not stay in the intercoastal, but sail in Gulf and scoot in places to anchor at night. We are thinking we may do one overnight to cut off part of the corner.
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 22:12   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
You can get chartbooks of the rivers from the Army Corp of Engineers. They are not expensive. I paid $24 for the Mississippi from Minneapolis to St Louis several years ago.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 12:11   #18

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
If you have a computer and some charting software expertiese, you can get a CD for under $10 with all the charts as well as pictures of the bridges etc. on EBay.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 18:05   #19

Boat: MacGregor 26X
Quimby's

The best resource I have found is Quimby's Cruising Guide... It has a complete listing of marinas and locks on the Inland and Gulf Intracostal Waterways. It is updated every year and cost was $39 last time I bought one. Sections include Mississippi river, Ohio, Illinois, Cumberland, Tennessee, Tenn-Tom, and Gulf Intercostal. You won't believe what a great resouce it is----- from Chicagoland bridge clearance chart to descriptions of each marina on the each of the rivers mentioned---It is a great resource!
nedmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 07:55   #20

Boat: 19'6" custom center console
here is a link to one families trip up and back...it is a good read and give much general info...I have been reserching as I want to go up tp Kentucky Lake...I have come down the Mississippi from Tulsa and do not recomend the trip much commercial traffic and few recreational facilites...Calumet Dreams Family Sailing Adventure
tybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 18:11   #21

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Cuising the Tenn-Tom

We are currently cruising up from Mobile to Chicago via the Tombigbee, Tenn-Tom, Lower Mississippi and Illinois Rivers. I would also suggest the Fred Meyers guides. The Quimby's and Doziers Waterway guide donot have much detail. Local knowledge is a must.
Francie
francie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mississippi