Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 12:24   #1

Boat: Amel Maramu 46
Crossing Gulf of Mexico

Would like to move my boat from Georgia to Pensacola, Florida. Deep draft (6.5 feet) and tall mast (55 feet) makes transiting the Okeechobee waterway a bad idea. So looking at sailing down to Miami, along the keys, then open water Gulf of Mexico straight to Pensacola. Does anyone have any suggestion as to the best time of year to make that trip to get the best winds? I know they can be good in the summer, but I'm not interested in gambling with hurricanes.
hyperope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:56   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Crossing Gulf of Mexico

Anytime from now on would be good. i wouldn't worry about hurricanes, you will have ample weather warning and lots of places to duck into, with the possible exception of the panhandle area.
The northers are over with until winter. Afternoon/evening thunderstorms are about the worst weather you'll see.
You can cut through the 7 mile bridge (Moser Channel) if you don't want to go to Key West, and sail up the coast. Just keep an eye out for lobster and crab traps.
Old 22-06-2016, 12:19   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I'm with Mike. You don't have to do it in one shot. We've done Pensacola to Marathon in Dec/Jan twice, but you have to play the cold fronts. Last time, going back to Texas, we did Marathon to Pensacola in April. It was an easy leg, with almost no thunderstorm activity to be concerned with. Mostly good offshore winds now, but T-storms are a worry.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:47   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to yawstick

I have a similar question... crossing from Galveston area sailing more or less directly to Ft Meyers
yawstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've crossed the Gulf a few times from PC to Marathon, Key West, etc. in the Summer.
I have found that the middle of Summer seems to be windless, or at least when I'm out it is, the "middle grounds" is where wind goes to die, I'm sure of it, so have plenty of Diesel on board.
I was nervous as a cat with 5' draft coming out of Marathon, but if you wait to Key West, draft is not an issue, may as well go see the Dry Tortugas if you have time.

Real good fishing in the middle grounds though, last month I got a 5 ft Wahoo there, didn't fish anymore on the trip, big Wahoo will take up a lot of freezer space and they are a fun fish to catch, when one hits, you know where it got it's name

I like to break it up, KW, DT to Tampa Bay or Clearwater or Tarpon Springs, then to Pensacola
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:48   #6

Yes I am "in the same boat" as Yawstick (post #4). What's the best way to get from Galveston to the Florida Atlantic coast? I'm in no hurry, but I don't want the trip to take a year either.

The main issue is the wind - it blows the WRONG WAY most of the time - out of the SE, which is where I need to go! And the chop out in the middle of the Gulf can be wretched.

Which brings us to the ICW. Like I said, I'm in no hurry, and don't mind burning a little diesel, if that's what it takes, but... there are two problems with the ICW:

#1. Low bridges. There are several, but all it takes is ONE and my 55 ft mast is an issue. SO, I could lay the mast down, and once I get to Ft. Lauderdale, find somebody with a crane to help me get it back up. But ...

#2. The ICW is not contiguous. It fizzles out from Carrabelle to Clearwater, necessitating a 130 nm trip across the open Gulf. OK, I suppose I could wait for a good weather window and sail it, but... my mast is down (see #1 above), and for gosh sakes I don't want to dismount & remount the stick TWICE!!

I suppose another option would be to leave the mast up and sail around the Keys, but again we're talking about one harsh slog to windward for an awfully long distance.

Or should I plan on motoring it from Carrabelle to Clearwater? Doable, I suppose, but gosh darn it I bought a SAIL boat, not a power boat!! (And even motoring it requires a decent weather window.)

I'm stuck. Ideas, anyone?
dmw0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:07   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw0214 View Post
Yes I am "in the same boat" as Yawstick (post #4). What's the best way to get from Galveston to the Florida Atlantic coast? I'm in no hurry, but I don't want the trip to take a year either.

The main issue is the wind - it blows the WRONG WAY most of the time - out of the SE, which is where I need to go! And the chop out in the middle of the Gulf can be wretched.

Which brings us to the ICW. Like I said, I'm in no hurry, and don't mind burning a little diesel, if that's what it takes, but... there are two problems with the ICW:

#1. Low bridges. There are several, but all it takes is ONE and my 55 ft mast is an issue. SO, I could lay the mast down, and once I get to Ft. Lauderdale, find somebody with a crane to help me get it back up. But ...

#2. The ICW is not contiguous. It fizzles out from Carrabelle to Clearwater, necessitating a 130 nm trip across the open Gulf. OK, I suppose I could wait for a good weather window and sail it, but... my mast is down (see #1 above), and for gosh sakes I don't want to dismount & remount the stick TWICE!!

I suppose another option would be to leave the mast up and sail around the Keys, but again we're talking about one harsh slog to windward for an awfully long distance.

Or should I plan on motoring it from Carrabelle to Clearwater? Doable, I suppose, but gosh darn it I bought a SAIL boat, not a power boat!! (And even motoring it requires a decent weather window.)

Is your mast 55' tall, or do you have 55' between water and mast top? If your mast is 65'+ of the waterline you may have a problem, if less then you may have a few restrictions but very few.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:22   #8

My mast (with antenna) is also 55. Low bridges are not a big problem on the east coast, only the Gulf Coast. My draft and mast height prevent an Okeechobee transit. And with their curren algae bloom problem, it might not be pleasant, anyway. We will sail to Miami in February. Leave the boat there then go around the keys and straight across the Gulf next April or may.

I'm not a Gulf weather pattern expert. But you may be able to take advantage of winter northerlies across the Gulf. I don't know how predictable they are. I will avoid those as we will be headed North north west to Pensacola and don't wish to do a 5 or 6 day slog across the Gulf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-07-2016, 20:19   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperope View Post
My mast (with antenna) is also 55. Low bridges are not a big problem on the east coast, only the Gulf Coast. My draft and mast height prevent an Okeechobee transit. And with their curren algae bloom problem, it might not be pleasant, anyway. We will sail to Miami in February. Leave the boat there then go around the keys and straight across the Gulf next April or may.

I'm not a Gulf weather pattern expert. But you may be able to take advantage of winter northerlies across the Gulf. I don't know how predictable they are. I will avoid those as we will be headed North north west to Pensacola and don't wish to do a 5 or 6 day slog across the Gulf.

As you say you won't be able to transit the Okeechobee, but the only place on the gulf coast you will have a problem with mast clearance would be Port St. Joe to Pensacola.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 03:48   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yawstick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 04:27   #11
cruiser

The short bridges in the Panhandle, west to east:

--Pensacola Beach (Bob Sikes) rumoured at 63', charted at 65'. I've hit my masthead antenna @61' on the central light, I'd go with the rumor
--Navarre @50'
--Ft Walton (Brooks) @50'
--Destin @49' (if you stay in the ICW you wouldn't use that one)
--Dupont (Panama City) @50'
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:44   #12

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw0214 View Post

Beeline to the foot of Louisiana, point toward Tampa until you pass the adverse currents, (passageweather.com), point south to Marathon. Grand Isle, Pensacola, Port Saint Joe...lots of good places to rest or duck the weather.

Set your AP, read, cook, play music, stare at the night sky. Pick a comfortable heading and speed. Reef at night w/ a preventer on the boom. Enjoy the sail.
Old 23-08-2016, 07:47   #13

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and stumbled upon this forum while looking for some answers on travel time. A friend of mine is bidding on a 42' boat. He wants to sail it back from south Florida to Pensacola. I was wondering how long, on average, it would take to undertake such an adventure. if he wins, he wants to do it during the late winter/early spring of 2017. he's self employed and has time. I still work and have limited time hence my hesitation to committing to this venture (among other things-time is not my only question mark).

any help would be greatly appreciated. As my one of my commanding officers use to say "in God we trust, all others-bring me data."

I'm squarely in the "bring me data group" :-)
papalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 08:30   #14

From what I understand, late winter, you might be bucking northerlies the whole way. Could be uncomfortable if you are out in that. I'm looking towards late may or early June if I make the trip.

Old 23-08-2016, 08:37   #15

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

papalos, welcome to the forum.

There are so many variables, and no certainties when trip planning. Not to mention south Florida is a big area.

But a rough estimate, from 7 mile bridge to Pensacola Pass is about 490nm. At a 5 knot average that's 4 days, and at 7 knot average it's 3 days.

Will you be able to flexibly schedule time off for the trip. Weather makes the schedule, not your work schedule.

But if you can schedule a week off at short notice it may work out.

Probably not the best idea to buy a boat and immediately take off on this trip though. Hopefuly the new owner can take some time to sail and motor around the local area for a few weeks to sort out the surprises that pop up in a boat purchase.

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico