Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 20:00   #1

Cost of leaving boat in foreign country for 6 months

Hi,

My family and me are seriously thinking about setting off and sailing around the world. However, because of certain obligations, we have to return to our home country, Canada, for at least 6 months out of the year.

I was wondering if anyone had experience in leaving boats in foreign coutries for extended periods of time and the cost associated with it. We would be doing this for several years so we could be leaving the boat in Asia, middle and south America, Europe, Australia, Africa, wherever, really.

Our boat will likely be between 38' and 45'. We are really interested in the cost of storing boats around the world because we need to assess the doability of our project.

Any experience or information would help! Thank you very much!
NicolasGignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 20:23   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Cost of leaving boat in foreign country for 6 months

Storage costs are all over the place. First you need to find a place that you are comfortable with the hurricane/cyclone/Typhon risk. Then you'll have to decide if you are looking for in water or on the hard.
You can look up prices on the web for various areas. In Panama Shelter Bay Marina has secure long term storage and is on the expensive side.
In French Polynesia check the Raiatea Yacht for prices.
New Zealand check any of the yards in Whangarei.
Australia you can check Port of Bundaberg.
Langkawi in Malaysia.
Deltaville marina in Virginia US.

Just a few to get sample of costs.
Old 11-12-2017, 21:07   #3

Boat: Boatless

Leaving a boat for an extended time in foreign ports is fraught with difficulties...

We left our boat in a safe marina in New Zealand for 6 months, the cost was $750/month. The person recommended by the marina to check the boat failed to do the agreed upon job and we returned to a boat full of mold and fried batteries.

From now on we will not be leaving the boat unattended for more than a few weeks.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nicolas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:43   #5

Boat: Amel Euros 41

You can use noonsite.com to find the recommended marinas/moorings for each area and you can check marina websites for prices. Note that once you are in the area for long enough, often you can find cheaper alternatives or get discounts.
We have been doing this for a couple of years now, but we only leave the boat for 3-5 months. We have been paying between ~200-900NZD/month. We leave the boat in the water and we don't hire anyone to check it.
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:57   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Leaving a boat for an extended time in foreign ports is fraught with difficulties...

We left our boat in a safe marina in New Zealand for 6 months, the cost was $750/month. The person recommended by the marina to check the boat failed to do the agreed upon job and we returned to a boat full of mold and fried batteries.

From now on we will not be leaving the boat unattended for more than a few weeks.
+1. I had a similar disaster my first season in Panama. Paid to have boat tended to, dirt bag just stole my money and did absolutely nothing for 6 months...boat was a disaster...took us a full month to get it clean of mold and mildew, which was so bad on some upohlstery that it damaged the fabric and we had have it recovered. Some interior wood work damaged beyond repair too. Cost us a month of our lives and hundreds of $s in rapairs.

Lesson learned: be sure you have a reliable boat tender...and...if in Bocas del Toro, Panama, do NOT use Captain Ron (duh, the nickname alone should have been a clue!)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

And also check that the country of your choice allows the vessel to be there for 6 months without addition fees or some kind of Importation
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12   #8

Boat: Hunter 460

Hi Nicolas,
Firstly, welcome to this forum. I have hardly contributed but find it an outstanding source of readily helpful information and advice. So thank you for giving me an opportunity to give back a little.
We are into our 10th year of cruising in the same circumstances as you are planning ie away from Sydney, Oz for around six months each year.
We always put our boat on the hard in a boatyard. We generally do not ask anyone to do anything with it unless there is some improvement or repair to be done. We keep the boat aired via our compost toilet fan going constantly, lockers open, etc and solar panels providing the little power required.
Generally, we have found that unless you are there boatyards often don’t do anything, despite their commitments otherwise. Some boatyards will and charge accordingly. One time, in Turkey a local undertook to look after the boat and we had to send emails to him to ensure he was doing what he said he would do ie wash and clean the boat and provide photos of what he had done. He also did some other work so he turned out okey as he did not ask for money up front, only on completion and when we were completely satisfied with the work done ie when we got back to the boat. A good arrangement.
The cruisers internet is a great resource and bad yards are quickly named.
In summary, it’s quite doable and not difficult providing you don’t trust anyone and make arrangements accordingly.
As for cost, it varies widely. Australia is expensive compared with the Caribbean, USA and the Med (our personal experiences) so you need to do your research.
Cheers
Dave
David Pakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:41   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I am another FIFO cruiser... fly in - fly out ... normally doing three months here, three months there.

Daily rates experienced in recent times for sub 12 metres are in the order of $17/20 NZ and about $10 US in Chile.

Never employed a 'boat minder'... but in Chile pay $1 a day for someone..currently the club manager.... to be my 'agent'. Open all lockers, crack open the hatches in the heads, job done. Some want their boats opened up and 'aired' frequently... I don't see the point... you are just letting more moisture into the boat.

Have had minor mold issues in the past ....esp in the galley ... sorted by wiping down head liners etc with a eucalyptus oil and water brew.
Old 12-12-2017, 14:00   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Certainly people leave their boats for upwards of 6 months regularly in the Med and Adriatic, there are a lot of Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and Americans who sail their boats in the Med summer and leave over winter. Generally in Europe, provided the boats have ventilation and reasonable precautions are taken, mould is not an issue. If you can, it is better not to rely on somebody to look after the boat, make the boat look after itself with solar, ventilation etc. We leave our boat in the water in a sheltered marina in Croatia November to April without problems as do most of the other occupants. In the tropics, even if you think you can find someone to look after the boat, I would take quite extreme measures not to rely on that by ensuring the boat is properly ventilated while secured and certainly not rely on or use shore power to do so.
The other part of leaving the boat for extended periods is to put the boat's systems to bed apprpriately for the climate. This can take quite some time.
Leaving a boat for any period is not without risk, but lots of people do it successfully, but it does require planning and preparation. As others have said, ask other sailors, this forum and the many cruising sites and you should be ok.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 14:06   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The basic factors are security and maintenence. If you have reliable people you are in good shape but if not, you could have substantial problems. Even with individuals who have been reliable in the past things can change; relationships break up , drinking gets out of control, people get sick, whatever. I would attempt to minimize my risks by using a boatyard or a well secured marina with a good reliability record. How you do that will vary by country. I suspect you will find good local resourses in some countries and nothing worth betting on in others. I would make the stopping location a major factor in planning your trip.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 14:14   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A few more thoughts....

How to properly keep the boat depends a lot on where.

Here in the tropics, mold and mildew are a big issue. The most effective solution Ive found is a dehumidifier, but of course you need to have electricity and ideally someone reliable to check it periodically. Some marinas rent them.

If thats not possible then frequent ventilation and cleaning work too.

Also, the thundering rains of the off season will find leaks you never knew you had. Covering with tarps helps...also keeps interior heat down.

Heat and humidity are tough on electronics, even if stowed inside the boat.

A problem Ive had with boat keepers and work being done while away is portholes not being properly closed. Just added a wood working project to my todo list for this off season because of this.

Stowing on the hard eliminates some concerns, like marin growth, sinking/flooding, and galvanic corrosion, but creates some more, like how to run certain systems periodically (AC, gen, engines) but for 6 months or less Ive not found those to be an issue.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 17:10   #13

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Hello Fellow Canadian, we leave our 45 foot catamaran in Grenada for about 8 to 9 months. I agree with the poster who said that it is not necessary to have any one looking after the boat . It does need a good closing program to do it . That said there are several reputable people that do this work . All the yard in Grenada have pretty good security. I do have contractors on the boat when I am not there . I also had a sun cover made which helps wear and tear sun damage etc . Also consider ease of travel and importing parts . As an example AIr Canada flies once a week off season and twice in season . If necessary you can go through Barbados everyday also through TnT.
The yards post their rates online .
Good luck it is easier than you think
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:09   #14

Wow thank you everyone for all the responses!

It's so reassuring to know that there's such a great and helpful community of cruisers around the world who are so enthusiastic and willing to help each other out! It's certainly very encouraging for us!

Thank you!
NicolasGignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:40   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Due to my wife's need to keep her nursing credentials, we stored the boat for 3-8 months every 2 years on our RTW trip. I would only suggest that you personally check out the storage spot before you commit, with an eye to facilities, weather and security. The cost varied, but it was never an issue.

Boats don't like to sit, so it will take a while to recommission when you get back. The biggest damage we had was Venezuela, where the interior got so hot that foam rubber turned to powder and grated Parmesan cheese was a melted goop. We never had an issue with theft, but knew others that did. We never paid a boat minder.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat