Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 16:43   #1

Boat: 1971 seaway 39' OHNO
corpus christi to savannah ga.

Hello all,
wife and i have considered visiting the family in savannah and thought would'nt it be grand to take bout 4 mths or so and take the boat 71 seaway 39' pb and cruise round on the giww. to fla then cross over
However looking at skipper bobs guide it seems to get complicated around New Orleans. We were thinking of leaving mid October this year any suggestions welcome.
thanks
Mike
seamanmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: corpus christi to savannah ga.

I dont know nothing about Skipper Bob so having said that, look at your GPS in the New Orleans area and zoom in and out and the route of the ICW will become obvious.
Oct. and Nov. will see a lot of cold fronts coming in one after another. Inside the ICW you will be just fine. Once you leave the New Orleans area and head eastward, you are pretty much in the open till you hit Mobile Bay in Al. If you dont want a bumby ride, just watch the weather reports and possibly plan that portion as a series of short hops as weather permits. New Orleans area to Pass Christian, Ms. Pass Christian to Biloxi, Ms., Biloxi to the east end of Dauphin Island. Crossing Mobile Bay can get real bumpy in the winter. I cant remember what the place is called but it is on the east end of Dauphin Island on the right hand side theer is a small channel just before the big bridge crossing Mobile bay. No marina there but the restaurant used to let us tie up there and get water if we ate in there every so often. can walk to a few stores also.
When the weather is right, cross Mobile Bay. If I remember correctly, it is about 20 miles across. Once you reach the other side, the ICW is very protected in there. Nice pretty beaches and restaurants along the way. Some really out of the way little bayous for peaceful fishing and chillin.
We are leaving Galveston Bay in Feb or early March and heading to Mobile Bay. Once there we are heading up the bay and northward to Kentucky Lake.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 13:51   #3

Boat: 1971 seaway 39' OHNO
Re: corpus christi to savannah ga.

thank you very much for reply. really good info hope the weather co-ops
And we are planning on being slow and careful .Just nervous bout new orleans area listening to horror stories to much i suppose
seamanmt is offline   Reply With Quote