Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2010, 00:28   #1

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Connecticut to Florida

Outside or inside? Would prefer to use ICW so we can see some of the W.Coast. Would prefer to anchor out after motoring/sailing each day. Is this still possible? Don't want expenses re marinas and mooring fields if possible. Would appreciate input including best time of year to do such a trip etc
Even input on part of this journey ie Chesapeake to Florida etc would help
Clyde
Old 24-03-2010, 05:11   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We sailed Tivoli from Old Saybrook CT (Oct 08) to Jax Beach FL arriving April 1 09. Yes it took awhile, however, we anchored as much as possible, stayed a month in Norfolk and just generally took our time. We were able to raise the sails outside NJ, in the Cheasapeake, Albamarle Sound and Pamlico Sound. It was a little cold at times, in fact we saw ice in the Dismal Swamp, but without a doubt one of the biggest things we have done in our lifes...We are regrouping, getting work done on the boat, marrying off two kids and will continue south at some point..

There are many many achorages, get Skipper Bobs book of anchorage along the route. There are places you can anchor for days and not see a soul, only wildlife.. I cant say enough how much we loved it...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 05:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Made the same trip last Sept, Essex CT to Jacksonville FL. Trip basically breaks down into three parts. We anchored out almost every night and had no problem finding safe, comfortable spots all the way.

From CT you can go outside Long Island or down LI Sound and through the East Rive. I chose the East River route since I had never done it and thought it would be fun to sail through NYC. If you haven't done this route the main concern is the tidal currents through Hell Gate. We sailed down the Sound and anchored just north of the city to start early and catch the ebb down the rive.. We anchored next to the Throg's Neck Bridge just because that's were we were when it got late but there are plenty of other spots to anchor.

From NY Harbor you have to go outside anyway to the Manasquan inlet to start the NJ section of the ICW. There are a couple of low bridges on this section so we had to go outside. It was an easy overnight sail from NY to Delaware Bay. We fueled up in Lewes DE, a very nice little town and anchored near the mouth of the bay to get an early start the next morning. You can go up the bay to the Chesapeake - Delaware Canal if you like but we chose outside again as it was shorter and I had limited time off work for the trip.

Again an easy overnight sail from DE to Chesapeake. We reached Norfolk in time to get through the city and past the bridges before they closed for afternoon rush hour. A few miles south on the ICW is a lock with free tie ups to the docks next door. Grocery stores and restaurants in easy walking distance.

From there we followed the ICW, leaving in the morning and anchoring off the channel each night until the Little River inlet SC. From their to FL we went with one overnight and two day sails to Jacksonville. Would have stayed in the ICW if I had more time. Problem is the southern section has a lot of shoaling that you have to cross at high tide unless you have a really shallow draft so you can lose a lot of time waiting tides.

I highly recommend getting a couple of guide books. Skipper Bob's books are excellent for planning stops, finding local resources like groceries, cheapest diesel, etc. They do also list good anchoring spots but most nights we picked our own based on where we were when we were ready to stop.

Good luck on the trip. It will be a lot of fun. Feel free to ask more details if you like.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 05:47   #4

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Thankyou

Thanks for the prompt replies and the details. Have the cruising guide to Chesapeake including Mid-Atlantic Coast from New York to Virginia, just needed personal input re anchoring especially with a 6ft 2inch draft.
Clyde
Old 24-03-2010, 07:19   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
Don't mean to hijack Springbok's thread, but I'd be interested to know Skipmac's draft and air draft.

I'm only 5.5ft draft but just over 63ft mast height. I have this trip to do in the Autumn and am trying to work out which bits I need to go outside for.

Duncan
S/Y TALISA
Currently in RI
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 07:38   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Check out Lonnie and Terri's site. index. We sailed with them to the Bahamas this year. Great Couple.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 12:11   #7

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Duncan,

Your draft is ok, however, you would not be able to get under the bridge in Cape May..So just go around, the rest of the icw would not be a problem
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida