Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 04:56   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Clear Lake Texas - East bound on GICW

Also try our Anchorage Guide, The Gulf Coast. But we do only cover from Mobile to Cape Sable. Not west of Mobile. You'll find many more anchorages than other publications with detailed chartlets. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:08   #17

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalcalvino View Post
Leaving the clear lake Texas area soon to head East along the GICW. Only goal in mind is to get East of the Mississippi by June.

Hoping for some insight and coordinates for safe anchorages along the way.

Looking to spend our first night anchored near Bolivar peninsula, TX. Anyone know of a good nights rest before entering the waterway?

Thank you.

Although the dangers of traveling the ICW at night are spoken of often, I have not found that to be the case west of New Orleans. Radar is a must and AIS a BIG plus.

Calling to the push boats by name from around bends and exchanging passing preferences early (almost always on the "1") is the preferred method both day and night.

When you get behind one traveling the same speed as your boat it can ease your mind on foggy nights.

I have passed many a beautiful night underway.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:50   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We've traveled the ICW from Galveston to New Jersey. At no time would we ever recommend or suggest anyone to travel the waterways at night on a recreational vessel. The Commercial vessels are the least of the problems. Small unlighted fishing boats are very common. Deadheads and debris in the water can damage or sink a vessel and do not show up on radar. Aids to navigation are sometimes missing, off station, damaged or missing lights, all leading to confusion and possible collision with the aids. And these are just a few of the possibilities. Following a commercial tow can often result in a collision with debris in the water. Their prop action can dislodge things from the bottom or off the banks as big as a large tree. If you consider this, just be sure your aware of all of the consequences. In my opinion, there are too many great anchorages that will offer a good nights sleep compared to the stresses of running at night. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 15:42   #19

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Clear Lake Texas - East bound on GICW

While I have to admit that I prefer going offshore I have done the ICW from Galveston to New Orleans a few times in the last couple of years. I am a fan of Madisonville on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain and travel there quite a bit. Their Mardis Gras boat parade is a hoot.

I suppose it is due to the amount of commercial traffic but found the charts to be accurate and channel markers in place. The width of the channel is well maintained.

Having spent a lot of time on the Mississippi and the Atchafalaya I have seen enormous trees come down the rivers especially when they were high. It is a good idea to run these sections during the day.

While I have bumped a few small logs, they were submerged and happened mostly during daylight. Never took any damage. I seldom run over 6 knots in the ditch.

My navigation lights stay in good order and I can't say that I have had issues with pleasure boats at night.

Prop wash really isn't an issue if enough distance is kept.

I guess I should add that I started running these waters in a bateau as a boy and don't see them as stressful.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42   #20

Holding at Offats Bayou is very poor! Fully exposed from the north. Not good, since this is typically where the strongest wind originates.

I have a couple of years old .gpx file developed from Active Captain with possible anchorages between Galveston and St. Petersburg, Fla.

Let me know if you want the file.

Always, always resist the temptation to anchor along the channel. Barges pushed by tugs displace humongous amounts of water drawn first away from the banks. At this point your boat can be made to spin and possibly hit bottom. Then the water rushes back to regain its previous level creating a cauldron dragging your boat back & forth. Beware advice from tug captains to anchor "in the cut", ahead. You'd think anchoring in a "cut" out of the main channel would be safe, right? Don't do it!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:31   #21

Speaking of tugs having there own language, I called a tug to inform them that I was aground his reply " roger that capn I'll make you some water" not knowing what he meant ? I waited and as he passed he increased his speed and made a wake that lifted me right off ! this happened near the" wiggles " an S section in the ICW
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote