Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 13:52   #1

Circumnavigating the North Pole in One Short Season

A Norwegian yacht with a crew of three is currently attempting a single-season circumnavigation of the North Pole. They cast off from northern Norway on July 28, and are as of this writing carefully picking their way through the drift ice labyrinth of the North East Passage.

The expedition is done on a shoestring; their total budget is around NOK 50 000. Thats's just north of $ 8 000, and they have no major sponsors.

The yacht, RX II, has been kindly lent to the expedition by its owner, Mr. Lars Ingeberg, whose aim with the boat is to each year lend it to sailors whom otherwise would not have the resources fulfill their dream. Mr. Ingeberg, at a young age, saw his own sailing dreams come true through RX II, and this is his way of letting others take part in that experience.

A declaration of interest is perhaps in place: When I first heard of this voyage I thought it was a wonderful and exciting adventure. However, with everything that was published about the expedition being in Norwegian only, I thought it was a great pity that their story would not reach a greater international audience. I have therefore volunteered to translate the crew's blog and other articles into English. I gain absolutely NO financial benefits from this work, BTW, nor is that my intention.

Anyways, I've previously started a thread on the expedition over at the Woodenboat Forum, where I've published my translations of all the expeditions' blogs, ice forecasts and select articles. Everything I translate is also being published in English at the expedition's home page: RX II – News in english - SEILmagasinet online

The RX II also has a tracker on board. You may follow their progress here:
SPOT Shared Page
Oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 15:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Arctic Solo Sail: Voyage through the northwest passage
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ail-25783.html

Tommy D. Cook is* solo sailing from Minnesota to Alaska, via the Northwest Passage. He’s currently heading North along the coast of Labrador.

Follow Tommy's exploits at:
Arctic Solo Sail: Voyage through the northwest passage

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:31   #3

See also:

For the first time in human history, the North Pole can be circumnavigated - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote