Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 22:14   #1

BVI Party / Sail Charter in July ?

Trying to plan a charter w/ Cpt for 5-8 30yr old men. Would "hopefully" like to keep the cost around $500 each (not including airfare of course)for a 4-6 day trip. All the abundance of information is a little overwhelming trying to sort through. We are a fun, well-rounded group who love to party (responsibly), snorkel,explore, and enjoy live music. *1) Is this feasible and if so, what suggestions can you provide as far as the best way to go about setting it up? I've been comparing Barefoot Yachts to Footloose and Monos to Cats. I'm afraid Cats are out of the question due to the higher rates. 2)Should we pay for provisions? 3)Will they typically reschedule if a hurricane is in the area? 4) With this being the low season will there be anyone to party with? and lastly, 5) Is this a seemingly well-suited destination for us?
Thanks.....:cubalibre
T-squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:58   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Without a response in nearly a week I might as well try.

1) Feasible for the $$$$? The economy has slowed greatly in the local area and some independent charter boat owner/operators might be willing to "make a deal" for some summer money. You might want to look here Virgin Islands Crewed Yacht Caribbean Charters in the USVI and BVI . You might post your question on Traveltalkonline.com under the BVI section as well. It will probably be easier for you to find a charter vessel for 6 or less rather than more persons as there are lower requirements for vessel and captain licensing aka sixpack license
2) Provisions? Do you want to eat on board or go a shore to party with others? Light provisioning for breakfast, snacks, a few lunch items and booze make sense. If you are on a tight budget than eating more on the boat than on shore will save money.
3) Hurricanes? It depends on many variables. Some may reschedule or give partial credit for time lost. That is a question you should have answered to your satisfaction in writing before you book.
4) Other people to party with? There will always be people at Jost, Cane Garden Bay and Norman/Willie T. Not as many people as in high season but 5-8 guys with alcohol should be able to make a party anywhere you go.
5) Appropriate destination? What is it you are looking for? You should find warm water, lighter winds, flatter seas, uncrowded anchorages and less pressure to rush to the next location to beat the crowds. Not all restaurants/bars will be open. Your captain will know what is and isn't open.

Good luck
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 21:08   #3

Thanks

Rubikoop,

Thanks so much for all the incite. Looks like I'm getting it worked out pretty good. If I can get my buddies to hurry up and fork out their shares for the trip we can lock it in.

Much appreciated,

Timm
T-squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 01:47   #4
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
T-Squared I am living on my boat here at Nanny Cay Marina in the BVI and I have talked to both marina and charter companies employees and they all concur in the slow business compared to previous years, I believe that if you shop around you can get a very good deal.

Nanny Cay Marina may be a good place for taking your charter. I went with my captain to Village Cay Marina and business is slow there too.

Tags
British Virgin Islands