Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 06:17   #1

Boat: 25' Cruisers Rogue 2570
Buzzards Bay to Martha's Vineyard

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and I truthfully don't know if this is a sailboat-only forum or not. I have a 1990 25' Cruisers Rogue 2570 power boat, and I'm looking to take it to Martha's Vineyard this summer.

I'd be cruising from Salem Harbor down to Provincetown, possibly for a night, and then through the canal and down through to the Vineyard.\

My question is, I've seen a lot on this forum about the dangers of Woods Hole to inexperienced captains. I also heard that Quick's Hole is the safer route. I'm unsure, though, whether these proposed dangers are felt mostly by wind powered vessels or they apply to power boats as well? I'm running a 7.4L Mercruiser 454 which has more than enough power to push me easily against any current that Woods would throw at me. Any information would be great.

I've only been through Woods Hole once, and my trip was unfortunately unsuccessful. I was aboard a 32' Pacemaker flybridge cruiser, all wood, beautiful boat. We hit rocks in what seemed to be the middle of the channel and put the starboard prop straight through the bottom of the hull. (To my knowledge, that boat is restored and back in the water these days.)

That said, I've never been to Martha's Vineyard. I've also never captained a boat to PTown or through the canal myself either. I expect to average around 35 knots or so. I assume I'd be in PTown Harbor within a few hours tops. Any advice on whether I should moor in the harbor for a night and roam the streets of PTown, or if I should just continue on down through the canal and ultimately to my destination at the Vineyard?

Is it worth it to continue from the Vineyard to Nantucket or not? I've never visited that island, either.

Any and all information and opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks, and I look forward to participating in a forum that I have enjoyed reading thus far!

-Dave
CruisersRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 06:45   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Buzzards Bay to Martha's Vineyard

Your statement that you've "heard" about the dangers of Woods Hole along with your tale of running aground seems more than a bit incongruous.

The Woods Hole channel is clearly marked by buoys and would also be clear if you have a chart-plotter. You need to be wary of strong currents in both places that will cause you to deviate away from your heading. The currents are also very significant in Vineyard Sound.

Each harbor on the Vineyard has its own distinct "flavor", so you shouldn't think of MV as a single destination. Your post seems to give hints that you haven't done a lot of planning yet on your own for this trip. It would be a good idea for you to investigate the distances, times of tides/current for best transits, and stops that might be of interest to you and your crew.

Plymouth to P-town in a boat that cruises at 35 knots is not much of a trip at all, plus it's out of the way if the CC Canal is your next stop. If you don't plan to take in the scenes ashore there is no point in going, IMHO.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 06:47   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

CruisersRogue,

Woods hole is not going to be any problem for you.
It is sail boats that have a problem, because the current is as fast as some smaller sailboats can go even with their 20 hp engines running.

It's a great area, enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woods hole.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	37647  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 06:56   #4

Check out this site for navigating Woods Hole BSC Cruising Guide Woods Hole Navigation
Old 19-02-2012, 07:05   #5

Boat: Sabre 426

[QUOTE=

I'd be cruising from Salem Harbor down to Provincetown, possibly for a night, and then through the canal and down through to the Vineyard.\

The primary reason why people get into trouble going through Woods Hole is because the Red and Green channel markers indicate the route to Boston rather than to Woods Hole and Vineyard Sound. As you enter the Hole from Buzzards Bay, the channel spits into two after you pass a fix Green marker but keep in mind, you must keep that green marker and other green markers on your starboard while Red must be kept to Port. People get into trouble - especially with an east-bound current - because after the split, they incorrectly keep the Red to their Starboard and Green to Port which in this case will bring you directly towards the rock ledge that separates the two channels. My laboratory windows overlook Woods Hole and every summer, we see people in both sail and power boats make this mistake. With an eastbound current, it is very difficult to avoid "crabbing" into the rocks once you get too far out of the channel.
Old 19-02-2012, 07:27   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I know those waters, our boat is docked in Fairhaven. The only comment I will make is to be watchful of the weather conditions. Buzzard's Bay can be nasty!!! I have a 40' power boat and there are times when I turn around and head back to the dock. Conditions change rapidly!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 07:33   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

That is a fun trip you have planned. As the others have said Woods Hole is easier for a powerboat than a sailboat, but still it takes some study beforehand to make sure you know what the markers are and where you will be turning, etc. Frankly, I think more powerboats get into trouble there than sailboats because they are blasting through at high speed, and they misread the markers in the middle of everything where The Straight meets Broadway, and instead of following one of the channels they cut across Red Ledge. I've seen a big power cruiser there completely out of the water he hit so hard and skidded right up onto the top of the ledge. So, take it slow enough to be able to be absolutely certain where you are going. Fog can make things exciting too as there is a lot of traffic. Monitor the VHF (channels 13 and 16) carefully when around there so you know what is going on with the commercial traffic, especially the ferries--they stop for nothing.

On the Vineyard itself I like to anchor in Lake Tashmoo and walk into Vineyard Haven. It's quiet in the lake and much more sheltered. Vineyard Haven and Edgartown both have pricey rental moorings nearish town, and they are both busy and fun in the summer. Oak Bluffs is very crowded and everyone rafts up, but you are right in the midst of another fun summer place. P-town is also fun, in a very colorful way. Well worth a night out if you like the sometimes-outrageous atmosphere.
Old 19-02-2012, 09:16   #8

Thank you all very much for the information and comments! I knew this forum would prove useful. SailFastTri, you're correct in your assumption that I have not planned this trip out much. On the contrary; I came to this forum first for some information and advice about HOW to plan the trip. As of now, it's something that I am thinking about doing, and would like to do. We'll see how it goes. Also, I'm cruising from Salem, not Plymouth.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should continue on down to Nantucket from Martha's Vineyard?

Thanks again everyone!

-Dave
Old 19-02-2012, 09:25   #9

Nantucket is well worth a visit--has a very different feel than Martha's Vineyard. Nantucket feels like you're way offshore out in the ocean--lot of rural roads outside of town, windswept beaches, and wide-open scenery. You can imagine the beginning of Moby Dick as you walk up the cobblestone main street in town. MV is busier, more towns, shops, restaurants, and things to do. It may be hard to believe, but Nantucket is even pricier than MV and the moorings are well out in the middle of the harbor where it can be pretty lumpy if it is blowing. Last I checked I think a mooring was $65 per night, but they may have gone up. Bring $$.
Old 19-02-2012, 10:16   #10

Thanks Kettlewell! Wow, those moorings are expensive... but then again, what in the boating world isn't? ;-)

Are there launch services in either or both harbors? I don't have dinghy davits to haul a tender with me.

-Dave
Old 19-02-2012, 10:20   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisersRogue View Post
Thank you all very much for the information and comments! I knew this forum would prove useful. SailFastTri, you're correct in your assumption that I have not planned this trip out much. On the contrary; I came to this forum first for some information and advice about HOW to plan the trip. As of now, it's something that I am thinking about doing, and would like to do. We'll see how it goes. Also, I'm cruising from Salem, not Plymouth.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should continue on down to Nantucket from Martha's Vineyard?

Thanks again everyone!

-Dave
Either buy a few charts or download them for free from NOAA and study them before you go. There are notes on the charts about currents in Wood's and Quick's hole. You should be able to figure it out if you have a good look at it for a while. Just take it slow and have a plan. It is easy to not pay attention.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:52   #12

There's launch service in Vineyard Haven, Edgartown, and Nantucket harbors, not sure about P-town or Oak Bluffs, but I bet there is. I always have a dinghy so it isn't something I think about. In Oak Bluffs you can almost walk ashore over all the boats. No launch in Lake Tashmoo, so skip that.
Old 19-02-2012, 11:02   #13

P-town does have two companies providing rental moorings that come with launch service. Go to ActiveCaptain.com to read about the facilities and the reviews.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:29   #14

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

CruisersRogue,

Yes, if you have the time you should go to Nantucket. Its just 25 miles from Edgertown MV. Make sure you stay in the channel and do not cut across the shoals or Shifting Shoals as the charts show. The charts will never be correct in the shifting shoal area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nantucket.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	37661  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:08   #15

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

If Buzzard's Bay is blowing 15-20, then Nantucket Sound will blow 20-25 with 4-6' seas. I wouldn't want to do the crossing from MV to Nantucket in a 25' power boat.

So watch the weather and be prepared to wait it out on both sides before crossing.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martha's vineyard