Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 04:17   #1

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Brisbane to Adelaide

Hi All
Just looking for a bit of info on best time to leave Brisbane heading south for Adelaide also some good stop off points along the way. I would like to to leave before Christmas Will be cruising in 38ft cat
Thanks in advance
Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:08   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
Hi All
Just looking for a bit of info on best time to leave Brisbane heading south for Adelaide also some good stop off points along the way. I would like to to leave before Christmas Will be cruising in 38ft cat
Thanks in advance
Steve
December would be a great time to start. With the NE summer sea breazes on the NSW coast and the southerly moving east coast current you should be able to make some fast passages.

Try a copy of Lucus's cruising guides for the NSW and Qld coast anchorages. You should be able to daysail most of the trip as far as Eden if you so desire. A couple of overnighters with stops at lakes entrance (weather permitting) and the prom will see a large portion of the SE corner gone before daysailing on to Adelaide. Kevin Lane published a great daysailing guide including his south coast suppliment, called "cruising west". This covers australia from Eden to Cape York, via fremantle.

If you want to get the whole trip over quickly , consider trucking it, as the good weather windows may be small on the south coast, depending on the year.
Old 04-09-2008, 18:27   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Catty
Thanks for your reply Thats what I was thinking but hav'nt had much to do with East coast. Did a delivery about 12 months ago from Lakes Entrance to Adel and would'nt miss out on calling in to Lakes on way back
thanks again Steve
Old 04-09-2008, 18:51   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I am based in Melb and if you need an extra deckhand would love to help.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 22:35   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I delivered my boat from Mooloolaba (North of Brisbane) to Hobart in December. Weather was good - mostly following breezes and the East Australian Current was also helping us; about 2-3 knots in our favour much of the time.

I stopped in
a) Coffs Harbour
b) Sydney
c) Eden

For what its worth, I wouldn't truck, I'd sail. It shouldn't be that tough. Your cat would make the trip much faster than my old mono.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:46   #6

Thanks for the offer Dirkdog will keep it in mind
Weyalen roughly how many days did weather stay ok at any one time or did you manage trip in one run , just stopping for fuel,beer etc
cheers
Old 05-09-2008, 02:54   #7

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Stop at Jervis Bay, Ulladulla & Batemans Bay. Or am I just biased.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45   #8

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I'd push to Eden and wait for good conditions for the next section as you need a good weather window for the next leg and you don't want to be hit by some of those lows that come through. I'm biased as I worked out of Eden for many years on fishing boats
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 23:46   #9

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Im just about to bring a 38ft cat down also (its up to the survey) Should be in November, I will start by daysailing as im not rushing.
Steve

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 01:14   #10

...check the "icybars" on the weather chart today. Today would NOT be a good day to go around the bottom !!

ps...check http://www.passageweather.com/ for forward planning (from Eden before you make the jump to lakes or refuge or Hastings.) And then again for the run West. The bom site now has a 512 km radar running out of Melbourne stick it on 512 and loops. You can see the rain bands down to Tassie across Bass straight AWESOME....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 02:57   #11

Cooper thanks for the weather link I guess all that red down the bottom means its hell down there at the moment I came through there 12 months ago in similar weather never again
SCTPC were planning to leave scarbourgh at end of November so keep in touch also not in a hurry
Steve
Old 15-09-2008, 16:03   #12

Sorry for others....http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.shtml
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane