Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 08:49   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Best Caribbean Location for Hurricane Season

This should start a lively debate. We all know we want to be out of hurricane alley for the season. But it is a #!%* hot at 12 degrees. ARGH! We are now starting to discuss where we want to be for next season..... Maine sounds great but I that is a lot of time out of paradise.
Old 26-08-2010, 08:59   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
This should start a lively debate. We all know we want to be out of hurricane alley for the season. But it is a #!%* hot at 12 degrees. ARGH! We are now starting to discuss where we want to be for next season..... Maine sounds great but I that is a lot of time out of paradise.
Delaware?

Your insurance company will usually have a good idea of where to be - north of 35, or south of 5?

Personally, I think that Simpson Bay Lagoon in St Marten is the most over-rated 'hurricane hole' in the Carib. I'd rather take my chances in Oyster Bay, I think, if I left a boat there. I left mine at an elevation of 125' above sea level on Saba, myself, but it was trailerable.
Old 26-08-2010, 09:02   #3

Did I mention?

We do not leave the boat, and we do not want to leave the Caribbean....
Old 26-08-2010, 09:13   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Several years ago (mid 1990's) a hurricane visited St Maarten and sat over the island for three days! Over 1200 boats were sunk in Simpson Bay Lagoon.

And then there was hurricane Lenny, the only hurricane to work its way over to the Western Caribbean and then turn EAST, come clear back across the Caribbean Sea and smack St Maarten.

There is a saying about hurricanes that should be remembered. "It only takes one".
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 09:19   #5

Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Technically within the hurricane belt but 15 miles inland has NEVER been hit. Most insurance companies will give a dispensation for this location.

Yes it's still hot but you can sail the inland lakes and rivers to your hearts content, highly recommended.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 09:24   #6

Actually, the Rio Dolce is what started this thread but I just checked current temp and humidity there.....

St Martin is in the alley and not an option!
Old 26-08-2010, 09:38   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Bocas del Toro
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 10:25   #8

Hello Janice. Haven't been there recently, but in the N end of the Caribbean one can't do much better than Ensenada Honda at Culebra (between St Thomas and Puerto Rico). I was there for Hugo in '89. It has a narrow entrance, heavy mud bottom, hills around a fair proportion of the harbor, and (at least then) not a lot of building to provide airborne shrapnel. Narrow inlets with mangroves on the N side of the harbor provide exceptional shelter.
CGB GAREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 11:14   #9

I liked Culebra, but - If you have insurance you can't be in the alley, if you don't have insurance you better not be.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:19   #10

Mangrooves in English Harbor, Antigua
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 12:19   #11

Panama is free of hurricanes. Why not sail the San Blas Islands during that period.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 12:48   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
-9th March 2009 - Severe Tropical Cyclone Hamish - Category 5 cyclone - Hayman Island, The Whitsunday's, Queensland, Australia. We survived our first (and we hope last!!!) cyclone, anchored in a cyclone hole aboard Sea Life battling through the gale force winds for over 20 hours without sleep....we were lucky....we are safe, Sea life is safe and we didn't get the eye of the cyclone going over us, but rather an outer circle.It was hard work, but we did our best and got through it all with a laugh and a smile!
As you can see in these photos we were encirclead by high land and had a virtually deserted anchorage, plus the cyclone missed us by 70nms. But we still had winds whipping the surface of the water up to the top of mast height.

So my advice is not to go too close. All the 'hurricane holes' are either not 'hurricane holes' , or will be totally full...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3083664.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	18677   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3083677.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	18678  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3083709.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	18679  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 12:56   #13

Hey Mark, distinguishing pic!

I know, I am surprised I keep getting ideas for places in or near the path that I do not want to be in during the season.

San Blas are great and Bocas del Toro looks superp too. Go west old salt go west!
Old 26-08-2010, 13:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'
We spent a season in Luperon, Dominican Republic...actually 7 months. A dirty little town with the best bunch of people one could hope to find....well most of them.

A goat sits of the city park bench, sheep and stray dogs run the streets. The beer is cheap. The locals tolerate bad gringo spanish and will take the time to help you get it right...if you want. The DR is a lovely island with lots of history and loads to see.

The harbor has 360 degree protection with excellent holding. The Port Authority sticks you for about 20 bucks a month harbor fee and the Commandante is slightly corrupt and 'charges' an extra 10 bucks per boat when it leaves.

Most of the ex-pat community is quite decent and if you don't mind small towns in remote locations...Luperon.

Here is a link to a swf I made last October of the harbor:

http://sites.google.com/a/wadda.org/...eronHarbor.swf

The file is 8 megs, and you might not have the software configured properly....but give it a shot.
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 13:43   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Panama is free of hurricanes. Why not sail the San Blas Islands during that period.
Yeah, and you will have plenty of opportunity to find out where the boat leaks.
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean